Rumor: TSN Insiders - Vancouver actively looking for a 20 goal scorer

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Bozak is available. At the low low price of a 1st round pick. We'll even throw in Holland if you call in the next 30 minutes.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Nucks won't be getting a 20 goals scorer for those scraps.

I am not saying that's what we are trading for a 20 goal scorer... Saying that we don't want JVR.

Tanev may be on the trading block so we would want something greater than JVR, is all.

Ie. not good trading partners.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
The fact that every Leafs fan tries to get rid of JVR is frightening. That makes us want to stay away.

He has always been a pretty lazy player. When he isn't scoring, there isn't much JVR is doing. Now that we have 3 good, young, and hard working forwards, it is easy to see that a guy like JVR isn't going to fit into what Babcock is trying to do with this team.

He is what the title says, a 20 goal scorer. So I wanted to see what Vancouver fans thought.

you have nothing that we would be remotely interested in.go away

You know, there's 2 ways to say something, one that makes you look like a normal human being, and another that makes you sound like an idiot. Guess which one you sound like.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Tanev is the most over rated player on HFB :nod:

no he isn't he close to, reading some threads on here, you can argue he's the most underrated player on this forum.

i don't blame you for saying that though, not all of us are able to properly evaluate hockey players.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Toronto screwed Vancouver when they stringed us into thinking they were going to trade for Luongo. Why would we want to trade with Toronto now?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
He has always been a pretty lazy player. When he isn't scoring, there isn't much JVR is doing. Now that we have 3 good, young, and hard working forwards, it is easy to see that a guy like JVR isn't going to fit into what Babcock is trying to do with this team.

He is what the title says, a 20 goal scorer. So I wanted to see what Vancouver fans thought.

You know, there's 2 ways to say something, one that makes you look like a normal human being, and another that makes you sound like an idiot. Guess which one you sound like.

More likely is the 3 pieces you guys own and are unwilling to move, are the three pieces the Canucks would be seeking for a Chris Tanev trade.
But hey, I guess you answered your own question with your own answer right. Magicman might not be the only one "sounding like an idiot" as you so gently put it.
But hey it's not like there is 4 main page threads, 30+ pages of posts, countless amounts of No answers from Canucks fans when the deals don't consist of at least one of those three pieces are mentioned. But hey that's none of my business right.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Toronto screwed Vancouver when they stringed us into thinking they were going to trade for Luongo. Why would we want to trade with Toronto now?

I think you are surely mistaken as it was the Canucks that wanted more out of Toronto than originally agreed too. Basically your GM got greedy and the deal fell through because they wanted more sensing weakness, he was wrong. Now your team is a disaster and you blame us, ya good luck with that. Until Benning and the owners realize they need to tear it down you are gonna be in a world of hurt.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
I am not about to debate JVR's value because its been beat to death on HF Boards and no one ever to a conclusion. All I am going to say is Dorsett Sbisa is not close to something any team with a player of JVR's calibre would consider. Dorsett I will admit is a good 4th line player and that's it. Pretty much any team in the NHL would put Dorsett on their 4th line. As for Sbisa well quite frankly there are some NHL teams he couldn't make. Players like him are a dime a dozen. Leafs have Marincin, Polak, Hunwick, Carrick who are all in the same breath as Sbisa. He don't upgrade nothing for Toronto.

JVR on the other hand. There is not a NHL team that JVR wouldn't be apart of their top 6 Forward group. You don't give those guys away for scraps. Tanev for JVR in my opinion is a fair swap but the minute the trade was made the teams would be looking for the replacements for the guy they just traded away. That's why it don't make sense for either team. Yes Leafs could use a top 4 d man and yes Nucks could use more scoring but you will hurt your team else where to get that done.

id rather have PA Parenteau, atleast hes free

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Dustin Brown, come on down!!!

How confident do Vancouver fans feel right now that Benning WILL NOT trade for Dustin Brown? 80 percent? 85 percent? 90 percent? Probably not 99 percent though. That's scary and I feel for you guys. Canucks fans deserve better.

If there is one GM in the NHL that would maybe think it's a good idea, it's Benning IMO.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Because it is irrelevant now? You can;t hold petty grudges forever, otherwise you'll have burnt too many bridges and will not be able to make moves.

yoss

May 25, 2011

How confident do Vancouver fans feel right now that Benning WILL NOT trade for Dustin Brown? 80 percent? 85 percent? 90 percent? Probably not 99 percent though. That's scary and I feel for you guys. Canucks fans deserve better.

If there is one GM in the NHL that would maybe think it's a good idea, it's Benning IMO. In the off chance it happens...

Ryan Miller @ 50 percent (UFA)
Alex Burrows @ 50 percent (UFA)

for

Dustin Brown @ 75 percent
Rob Scuderi [already retained] (UFA)
2nd Rounder
2nd Rounder
meat + potatoes prospect
throw-in mediocre prospect

On that day, 10 percent of the fanbase walks away and does not return until Benning is eventually fired.

(insert "oh what a lovely day" mad max fury road GIF)

Settle down, your glee is coming across too strongly with this one.

Tanev for W. Nylander & a couple picks coming back with him as well and we'll call it a day.

You can have you choice of Sbisa or Larsson also if you really insist. (I see Toronto so assume a Leafs fan)

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Settle down, your glee is coming across too strongly with this one.

Tanev for W. Nylander & a couple picks coming back with him as well and we'll call it a day.

You can have you choice of Sbisa or Larsson also if you really insist.

Good luck getting Nylander before the season started. Not a chance in hell there is even good luck to wish now that he was named rookie of the month.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Okay. What do you think he's worth? Because if you want forwards, I would place the return somewhere around a high end prospect not dissimilar to Kapanen, or a player like Jokinen/Anisimov (something like your temporary Sedin linemates brought in every year).

In case you are unaware of the threads he's referring to, he wants a player like Nylander/Marner/Matthews for Tanev. You aren't getting a reasonable discussion if that's the case.
To be fair, not sure why any leaf fan continues to propose JVR+. It's been discussed to death.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

If there is one GM in the NHL that would maybe think it's a good idea, it's Benning IMO.

As confident as I was Benning could get a good return on Hamhuis at the deadline.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
"You know when the question was asked to me, they asked me the question, if you could add one thing to your team to make it better what would it be? I said a proven goal scorer, we are still looking around and, like I said, if we can do something that makes sense we will look at it, but I'm not going to do anything that's going to harm the long-term success of our group." - Benning on TSN1040

It feels like the approach and the way they are talking about their aims have shifted from competing for the playoffs to being a competitive team on any given night while developing their young players. They are not going to gift them the ice time, they have to earn it and the trust of WD to get that ice time, but it's encouraging to see that this might be the start of a fully committed re-build and more realistic and beneficial expectations of the team. It's all I've asked for. If the team is going to lose, we might as well lose while focusing on development.

To me it sounds like if a hockey trade shows up on his desk, that would see a defensemen being traded for a forward he would make that move if it makes sense for the short-term and long-term. The Canucks have a logjam of bottom pairing D right now and could probably afford to move any of the D not named Hutton or Gudbranson. I'd rather see Edler traded than Tanev but I believe the Canucks are open to listening to offers on those two. Love them both as players but it's time to toughen up and lose the nostalgia. Edler is tricky because he has voiced in the past he doesn't want to play anywhere else but Vancouver, things change I guess and losing isn't fun so maybe he is more open to waiving his NTC now. Don't think any moves will happen any time soon, nor should they, but I can see Vancouver being active after Christmas.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Havent read through this thread but I'm going to predict that Nucks fans are offering Tanev up like he's Roman Josi.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks cannot trade an attractive player. They need them all. That leaves draft picks and prospects, which they need, too. The rumor that they are looking should have included the codicil "for free". Really, I think Canucks might be watching the waiver wire unless they are dangling Burrows. They can't afford to lose anybody else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad