Rumor: TSN Insiders - Vancouver actively looking for a 20 goal scorer

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I know HF will hate it but

JVR

for

1st top 3 protected, if top 3 slides to unprotected 2018.
Prospect

Leafs hate it because JVR has been good, has 10 P in 12 games, was on pace before injury for 60 P and the year before was a 60 P player. He'll score you goals and give you size. He's valuable.

Van fans hate it because that pick is probably going to be top 3, and an unprotected first next year could be top 3 again with their roster.

Leafs hate it because we are counting on that first being high to win the trade.

Van hate it because they don't want to add a prospect on top of a first that could be high.

Toronto insists they get a good prospect to mitigate the risk of the first being higher than expected.

Ultimately this depends on player development for the Leafs and how desperate Benning gets.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
With all due respect to Canuck fans, what's the point of acquiring a 20g player for a team that is projected to end up at the bottom of the league again?

Accept the tank and just wait for next year.

You're what the Leafs were 5 years ago. Not yet fully willing to accept that you're not good enough but in a position to make deals and gamble your future for a sniff.
A vast majority want to focus on acquiring picks, drafting smart, and developing our relatively few high upside prospects. But Jim Benning and the rest of the management are running this ****-show and they are absolutely convinced they need to make the playoffs. Short term revenue, that's what's on their mind.

Willis

Aug 2, 2005
With all due respect to Canuck fans, what's the point of acquiring a 20g player for a team that is projected to end up at the bottom of the league again?

Accept the tank and just wait for next year.

You're what the Leafs were 5 years ago. Not yet fully willing to accept that you're not good enough but in a position to make deals and gamble your future for a sniff.

I think it might be worse than that. I am actually seeing some parallels to the Oilers when Tambo was GM and Lowe as President of Hockey Operations. I am seeing Linden (former good player for the team) as Lowe and Benning (guy finally given the chance as a GM) as Tambo.

Remember the Heatley fiasco as an example or going out and signing Souray. The Oilers were a bad team with some vets left over from when they went to the final but were drafting near the top (Gagner was 6th overall I believe similar to the Canucks now). The management was actually convinced that they had a playoff team that was just one man short and they were going out to get top scorers or UFA's (think Erickson) even though they were finishing near the bottom of the league.

eddie416

Nov 23, 2015
Tough to be a Canucks fan and watch this **** unfold. Just rebuild already, quit trying to make the playoffs. Follow what Toronto did and make some solid draft picks and develop them properly.

Canucks could have had Nylander and Chychrun, which would have looked A LOT better. Not to say Juolevi won't pan out but the Canucks have made too many very poor moves.

Linden/Benning/Willie aren't the ones to fix this (of course ownership is just as much to blame).

I wish I could have an advisory role with the club so bad

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Tough to be a Canucks fan and watch this **** unfold. Just rebuild already, quit trying to make the playoffs. Follow what Toronto did and make some solid draft picks and develop them properly.

Canucks could have had Nylander and Chychrun, which would have looked A LOT better. Not to say Juolevi won't pan out but the Canucks have made too many very poor moves.

Linden/Benning/Willie aren't the ones to fix this (of course ownership is just as much to blame).

I wish I could have an advisory role with the club so bad

I'm sure your hindsight would be really appreciated.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver

JVR

for

Prospect

Leafs hate it because JVR has been good, has 10 P in 12 games, was on pace before injury for 60 P and the year before was a 60 P player. He'll score you goals and give you size. He's valuable.

Van fans hate it because that pick is probably going to be top 3, and an unprotected first next year could be top 3 again with their roster.

Leafs hate it because we are counting on that first being high to win the trade.

Van hate it because they don't want to add a prospect on top of a first that could be high.

Toronto insists they get a good prospect to mitigate the risk of the first being higher than expected.

Ultimately this depends on player development for the Leafs and how desperate Benning gets.

Canucks cant fit JVR under the cap and dont think Canucks are in position to give up a 1st rounder. Their prospect depth is crap especially for forwards were they have 3 guys (Boeser, Lockwood,Gaudette) who have a decent or better chance at an NHL-future.

eddie416

Nov 23, 2015
I'm sure your hindsight would be really appreciated.

Many people outside the organization wanted Ehlers or Nylander to be drafted before the draft happened. People knew Virtanen was the wrong pick.

Everyone knew the Sbisa/Dorsett deals were awful the second they happened.

People knew the Forsling - Clendening deal was awful the second it happened.

Not exactly hindsight, thanks though

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Many people outside the organization wanted Ehlers or Nylander to be drafted before the draft happened. People knew Virtanen was the wrong pick.

Everyone knew the Sbisa/Dorsett deals were awful the second they happened.

People knew the Forsling - Clendening deal was awful the second it happened.

Not exactly hindsight, thanks though

No they didn't Captain Hindsight.

Forsling for Clendening was a mistake, and they happen. Clendening had shown quite well for Chicago and Rockford and was much closer to making it as an NHLer than Forsling at the time. I remember quite a few Canuck fans were sad Forsling was going but quite excited for Clendening.

Virtanen was a very popular choice by Canuck fans. Some wanted someone else, guess what, that happens all the time. Virtanen is 20, his development isn't over.
The Sbisa contract is pretty much on point to market value for defensemen of his quality. He's actually been pretty great so far this season.

Dorsett contract was a little long, and a little expensive but in the bigger picture it's not really that big of a deal.

Look at other teams and their contract situations... we should be lucky those are the contracts we get upset about..

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Bozak is available. At the low low price of a 1st round pick. We'll even throw in Holland if you call in the next 30 minutes.

Hahaha ! The Canucks are in no position to be trading 1st round picks away but with their management if this was offer who knows

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Joe Colborne is a former 20 goal scorer who for some unknown reason has been on the Avs 4th line this season.

He's actually looked pretty good for us so most fans dont know why he's getting 4th line minutes.

We did just sign him, but I would venture to guess if he sticks on the 4th line for the next few weeks the Avs might look at moving him come January.

Would love to see him play with Mcdavid or Drai
though he has 3G in 11 GM tied with Landeskog
21-22 pace!

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Considering Horvat is the only player on the team under 35 that looks like he can score 20 this year... I would be too.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I assume this was the case before Vancouver went on an extended losing streak and lost Tanev/Hansen to injury. Acquiring a "20-goal forward" at this point would be the equivalent of putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006

JVR

for

Prospect

hahaha

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
I assume this was the case before Vancouver went on an extended losing streak and lost Tanev/Hansen to injury. Acquiring a "20-goal forward" at this point would be the equivalent of putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound.

Toronto all over again. Outside fans just sitting back just screaming please stop its already dead.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
The Canucks' season is over, time to acquire picks and tank... they don't have the forwards to compete for a playoff spot. Eriksson is a bust.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Wait shouldn't the Canucks be sellers not buyers? Literally reminds me of the Leafs for the majority of the last decade.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012

Forsling for Clendening was a mistake, and they happen. Clendening had shown quite well for Chicago and Rockford and was much closer to making it as an NHLer than Forsling at the time. I remember quite a few Canuck fans were sad Forsling was going but quite excited for Clendening.

Virtanen was a very popular choice by Canuck fans. Some wanted someone else, guess what, that happens all the time. Virtanen is 20, his development isn't over.
The Sbisa contract is pretty much on point to market value for defensemen of his quality. He's actually been pretty great so far this season.

Dorsett contract was a little long, and a little expensive but in the bigger picture it's not really that big of a deal.

Look at other teams and their contract situations... we should be lucky those are the contracts we get upset about..

Not trying to derail th thread, but what in the good **** are you talking about here? Sbisa was a TERRIBLE signing. Case closed.

eddie416

Nov 23, 2015

Enough said. Guy makes terrible decisions with and without the puck all game long. Your bar for 'pretty great' must be insanely low

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad