TSN Radio: TSN Analysts Referendum

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Rewicky: B
Lawless: A+ Only guy that I trust with real inside info and who's opinion is the most intelligent. He knows waht he's talking about.
Hnidy: B. Good colour commentator. Has a player perspective.
Hustler: B+
Westwood: D Tries using stats to sound intelligent, but doesn't succeed. Can't stand his high voice and his annoying sayings (like "sucks ducks"). I don't feel he knows much about anything other than CFL talk.
Toth: C Tries to be funny....and really isn't. Too goofy. The Big Show needs to be a show that should be taken more seriously. Not with their constant joking around and their "6-Pack Picks" that obviously they wouldn't even put their own money on.
Beyak: C
Ralph: B+ I like his quick wit, but dislike his condescending attitude to callers after games.
Munz: B-
Edmunds: A I like his play calling and voice.
Peacock: D Boring; monotone; sounds like he's reading from a teleprompter; very amateur; don't understand how people praise this guy.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Not going to grade every on-air guy but Lawless, and Hustler even more so, take forever to ask their guests a question. If they've got Dreger, or Wheeler, or Bobby Mac on there, I'm tuning in to listen to them, not Hustler take 45 seconds to pre-amble into his question about how the off-season is going.

Normal question: "Blake, now that the season is over, are you spending some time outdoors?"

Hustler question: "Blake, Minnesota is known as the Land of 10,000 Lakes, and I know guys like you, and Buff, and other Minnesota guys on the team grew up doing a lot of fishing in the summer. Buff especially loves the hunting and fishing out there and I'm sure you guys can really enjoy your off-season doing those kinds of activities. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling us a bit about your off-season routine, and which one of those 10,000 lakes you like to get out to, to escape the rink for a bit and get to enjoy the off-season?"

:laugh:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Not going to grade every on-air guy but Lawless, and Hustler even more so, take forever to ask their guests a question. If they've got Dreger, or Wheeler, or Bobby Mac on there, I'm tuning in to listen to them, not Hustler take 45 seconds to pre-amble into his question about how the off-season is going.

Normal question: "Blake, now that the season is over, are you spending some time outdoors?"

Hustler question: "Blake, Minnesota is known as the Land of 10,000 Lakes, and I know guys like you, and Buff, and other Minnesota guys on the team grew up doing a lot of fishing in the summer. Buff especially loves the hunting and fishing out there and I'm sure you guys can really enjoy your off-season doing those kinds of activities. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling us a bit about your off-season routine, and which one of those 10,000 lakes you like to get out to, to escape the rink for a bit and get to enjoy the off-season?"

It's about getting an answer from these guys, especially players, who love to give one word answers. Obviously, the hustler question you used is an exaggeration, but even then, It's a better question than the first one.

Normal Question Answer: Yes.

Hustler Question Answer: Yeah, I own a cottage out in hometown, and love to kick it out there. It's really a charming little area blah blah blah.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It's about getting an answer from these guys, especially players, who love to give one word answers. Obviously, the hustler question you used is an exaggeration, but even then, It's a better question than the first one.

Normal Question Answer: Yes.

Hustler Question Answer: Yeah, I own a cottage out in hometown, and love to kick it out there. It's really a charming little area blah blah blah.

For a player, I agree with you, sure. Any on-air guy though should be able to take the prompt and go with it. I'd also be a bit more willing to forgive it if he only did it occasionally, but he had a similar type of question to a guy who just qualified for that sport getaway contest. Hustler is on Landsberg levels of verbal diarrhea.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Personally I find Lawless ALOT better since he left the Free Press. To me it seemed that he was instructed to write outrageous articles for the Free Press to generate hits. Now that he sticks to radio/segments on TV he is much more balanced and seems to think his positions through alot more.

Not a fan of Rick Ralph personally, but he certainly doesn't have an easy job dealing with dumb people constantly.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Personally I find Lawless ALOT better since he left the Free Press. To me it seemed that he was instructed to write outrageous articles for the Free Press to generate hits. Now that he sticks to radio/segments on TV he is much more balanced and seems to think his positions through alot more.

Not a fan of Rick Ralph personally, but he certainly doesn't have an easy job dealing with dumb people constantly.

Ralph on the postgame show does a great job fighting a losing battle. When I listened to the big show they did an okay job as well, but usually I tuned out when they had the call in section. I assume I'm in the minority, but I hate call in portions of radio. Just take listener questions off twitter/email and answer them instead.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
The problem in Winnipeg is there really isn't much to compare them too.

It's funny, and a part of their job, but I imagine some posters here would get really pissed off if someone posted on the internet judging you in your job.

Again, I'm sure the personalities are fine with it, but I find people throwing stones funny.

I like RR on the RR (heh) he's my favorite.

People do and I could care less, I learned to grow a thick skin long ago and I'm sure these guys and gals have too.

Sara O -B She is good at her job of interviewing.

Beyak D What a treat to not have to listen to him in the playoffs even if the Jets are out. His incoherent ramblngs while a good hockey game is going on is simply unlistenable at times. Hockey is a fast game, he would be much better suited to baseball. It is Chris Thorburns 700th game and 98 of them have been on Wednesday nights and he has 16 points on Saturdays in his career and 6 goals on Sundays and 25 fights on Mondays. His biggest concern is points streaks and absolute nothingness. His on air analysis that takes place on the radio is beyond poor. I simply turn the radio off when he comes on. He has consumed a lifetime supply of TNSE Kool-Aid

Edmonds F - This guy actually thought Stanley had a chance of making the Jets out of training camp and thought Ladd would re-sign with the Hawks after last seasons trade. He has not a clue what is happening in the league. Thinks Thorburn had a poor season this year because his role wasnt defined and the Jets should re-sign him and do a better job of defining his role.:help: His call of the game sounds like a constipated cat.

Munz- see Edmonds

Hnidy- B He knows his hockey stuff but is too close to the team to give an objective opinion.

Hustler - A He keeps up with everything Jets and NHL.

Lawless B Gary is needs to prep a little better for the show but is certainly entertaining.

R.R.- quit listening

Big Show- quit lsitening

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Slow boring day in Jets, we're evaluating tv & radio hosts now?

Yikes

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Hustler: B. His skew on things often similar to mine, but often not. Can be a critical of stupid moves -- except when he's interviewing someone face to face; then he caves and becomes Beyak. You can tell he at least studies some things and retains them.

Lawless: C-. You can tell he doesn't study many things, and those he does he doesn't seem to retain too well. Does a better job of criticism in live interviews than Hustler.

Westwood: B. Pretty similar to Hustler. Needs to lose the bleeding heart stuff.

Rewucki: B+. Pretty good but a bit too forgiving of the team's complacency.

Toth: F. He must be there to make the other guys look like geniuses. Certainly not there for keen insight, or even mediocre insight.

Ralph. B-. Good interviewer of professional guests when he doesn't try to be too cute. If he's snarky to call-ins who are idiots . . . well, they are idiots.

Hnidy: C. "Oh, absolutely!" Gets a few good observations off but his old-school mentality leans too far to grit and all that other crap.

Beyak: C. Too much homerism and old-schoolism, but at least his excitement is genuine, not like the next knob on the list.

Edward: F. Hall of fame phony. Spouts inanities when he's interviewed outside of game broadcasts, and his phony, growly game delivery, especially for goals, marks him indelibly as a bonehead.

Munz: F. Mr. White Bread. As bland as bland can be, with all the hockey knowledge of Edwards.

Peacock: B. Haven't heard him enough to give him an A, but I would forthwith give him Edwards' job.

Orlesky: F. The ultimate softball lobber. Example: "Coach, what makes Chris Thorburn such an important part of the team?" Okay, she's working for the team broadcaster and isn't likely to be overly critical, but that kind of stuff is just pathetic.

Friesen: A+. Not a TSN guy but worth mentioning because he's the only person in the circus who has any guts. I'd add Wiecek to this category as well but it seems more personal than professional with him.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Such a wide array of grades for the same personalities... Preferences for radio personalities is as subjective as it gets.

I won't chime in with grades, but I will say that I'm overall satisfied with the quality of the radio guys on 1290. It's a difficult task filling 24 hours of sports content for a city the size of Winnipeg.

I can listen to pretty much all of their shows and stay engaged, with a few exceptions. Golf talk sucks because golf sucks (and anyone who thinks otherwise is insane).. And the second they start talking to "Double D" from Assiniboia Downs I can't change the station fast enough. Horse racing is even worse than golf.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Such a wide array of grades for the same personalities... Preferences for radio personalities is as subjective as it gets.

I won't chime in with grades, but I will say that I'm overall satisfied with the quality of the radio guys on 1290. It's a difficult task filling 24 hours of sports content for a city the size of Winnipeg.

I can listen to pretty much all of their shows and stay engaged, with a few exceptions. Golf talk sucks because golf sucks (and anyone who thinks otherwise is insane).. And the second they start talking to "Double D" from Assiniboia Downs I can't change the station fast enough. Horse racing is even worse than golf.

Well, are we grading on expectations or potential or performance vs their peers? :sarcasm:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

When Lawless speaks I picture him treading water in the deep end of a pool.

buyinnow

Mar 7, 2010
Ralph A. He's articulate and smart. a pro

Lawless C. His info is good but he's too impressionable. he wanted the Jets to protect Copp at one point. needs to ask Q's instead of spewing his opinions to guests. especially if I'm willing to suffer through his partners lameness in order to hear from the guest.

Husler F. He rambles instead of asking Q's. doesn't speak like an adult. he sounds like someone who spent too much time listening to Rome and trying to be Rome. add in the fake laughter and his LAIIIIIIIIIIINEHH.......LIIIIIIIVE.........farhan LAAAAAALJI. he takes the already lowest form of communication known as sports talk and makes it worse. sprinkle sprinkle.

lakewinnipeg

Mar 27, 2017
TSN1290 sucks 24/7 except on Jets and Blue Bomber game days.

Their scheduling is horrible. too many repeats and the late night programming is awful with ESPN. There are much better programming on CBS Sports, Mad Dog Radio, Fox Sports, even on the other ESPN radio at the same time.

And all our radio hosts are weak and dont know how to conduct themselves other than kissing the buts of TNSE and Bombers.

lakewinnipeg

Mar 27, 2017
TSN1290 need hosts from the New York or Chicago or LA markets. those people actually contribute to the sports market. They can hire/fire coaches and make changes on teams with how they broadcast their programming.

And they are damn entertaining.

TSN1290 they have no clue. Its like they learn to broadcast from broadcast school. And those do not make great sports broadcasters.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Ralph A. He's articulate and smart. a pro

Lawless C. His info is good but he's too impressionable. he wanted the Jets to protect Copp at one point. needs to ask Q's instead of spewing his opinions to guests. especially if I'm willing to suffer through his partners lameness in order to hear from the guest.

Husler F. He rambles instead of asking Q's. doesn't speak like an adult. he sounds like someone who spent too much time listening to Rome and trying to be Rome. add in the fake laughter and his LAIIIIIIIIIIINEHH.......LIIIIIIIVE.........farhan LAAAAAALJI. he takes the already lowest form of communication known as sports talk and makes it worse. sprinkle sprinkle.

Really good assessments. I'd hardly give Lawless a passing grade, though.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Jeez...some people. :shakehead there already is a general 1290 kvetching thread. If you want to complain about how terrible the station is maybe that would be the place to do it. If you find the idea of rating the radio personalities dumb or if your days are just way too full of important tasks, don't take part. Ain't nobody holding a gun to nobody's head far as I know.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
TSN1290 need hosts from the New York or Chicago or LA markets. those people actually contribute to the sports market. They can hire/fire coaches and make changes on teams with how they broadcast their programming.

And they are damn entertaining.

TSN1290 they have no clue. Its like they learn to broadcast from broadcast school. And those do not make great sports broadcasters.

Only if they intend to talk about the Jets followed by the Bombers. Most 1290 listeners want local content of their favorite teams. If you want US national content there are already lots of options to choose from.

Teamoo

Jan 20, 2016
Hustler: A The best of the bunch. Will question the Jets direction and Lawless (or who ever). Uses logic which is fleeting on talk radio

Lawless: D Loudmouth malcontent that is rude and annoying. Specially in person or confronted on social media. Too bad because he does have some insight

Westwood: C- Get the **** off your soapbox buddy and stick to sports.

Rewucki: B.

Toth: C- Don't agree with him but I'd have a beer with him

Ralph. C+

Hnidy: B

Beyak: C

Edward: D-.

Munz: C-

Peacock: B. "...give him Edwards' job"

Orlesky: B. It's her job, can't hate her for it.

JP VIGIER: A++ Need more of this guy. Smart, informative and knowledgable. Besides his quirky French accent, he provides a descriptive view of how things behind the scenes and relates it well to the viewers. It's a shame they don't use his commentary more often on the mainstream media

Friesen: B

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Rewicky: B+ I'd like to hear more form him.
Lawless: C- Meh all around.
Hnidy: B I like his takes
Hustler: C- Not a fan
Westwood: C+ Too much soap box stuff for me but he's OK
Toth: B He's made the show better though it seems he's misunderstood, it's of his own doing though.
Beyak: B He is fine
Ralph: A The best of the bunch.
Munz: C+ Not bad
Edmunds: F-
Peacock: C I like Mitch but he needs more time.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
A. Hustler- For this market He's an A. Actually follows sports and decent, enthusiastic radio guy

A. Hnidy and Vigier. Both have great insight, although Hnidy is a TNSE shill sometimes.

A. Orlesky. Her job is the softball, can't expect much more.

B+ Rewucki and Peacock

C+ Toth and Westwood. For this market, they do a pretty decent morning show. Good energy, some bizarre takes. Better than average sports knowledge (sadly).

C+ Edmunds. I like his delivery, but he comes up with some bizarre analysis sometimes. I also hate the cheerleading, but understand its his job.

C+. Beyak. Professional......gets the names mostly right. Has a good grasp of the game

C Ralph. Good radio pro, but not sure why he does sports. Would be much happier as a crime reporter.

D. Munz. Just not smart enough.

D. Lawless. Entertaining at times as long you don't take him seriously. Too many lazy takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad