TSN Radio: TSN Analysts Referendum

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
The players, coaches and management staff got their referendum...now let's do our TSN analysts:

Andrew "Hustler" Patterson: Grade A

Devoted actual fan, and seems to actually care and follow the team. Usually has a well formed opinion and has to sit and listen to Lawless (who probably makes more money than him). Well spoken and excellently articulated. He gets an A because he brings it day in day out consistently.

Gary Lawless: Grade D+
"deleted my original write up...if you don't have something nice to say don't say it at all"
For a sports broadcaster covering the Jets with insider access...he should/needs to be better

Jim Toth: Grade -B
"deleted my original write up...his rookie year is a learning one. He needs to be better next year"

Brandon Rewucki: Grade -A

Brandon does a good job, is well versed in many sports and seems like an actual fan much like Hustler. He's taken on a much bigger role this year it seems and is doing quite well in my opinion. When it comes to the Jets he's pretty much par for the course in knowledge and has well informed opinions that make more sense than some of the hosts ideas.

Troy Westwood: A

Westwood is truly the biggest surprise for me as I'll admit I never thought he'd be that knowledgeable about hockey but he's usually right on, par for the course when it comes to the Jets and has very realistic view of the organization. He tells it like it is and for having to argue with Jim about some of his views while maintaining his cool gets him the A for me. He's very articulate, and well spoken and makes for a fine broadcaster.

Shane Hnidy/Dennis Beyak: Grade +A

I paired these two together because they're more like a tennis doubles team than singles. Dennis while consistently making me laugh by calling Scheifele "Mark Wheeler" still is an excellent hockey commentator. Shane as a former player has transitioned well into broadcasting and is excellent. You really appreciate the pair, when a game goes from being on TSN to Sportsnet. I truly know their worth on those days and can't wait for the next game to be on TSN. Outstanding Job, night in night out, well spoken and they take care of Business.

Brian Munz/ Rick Ralph: Grade N/A

I don't listen to Rick Ralph or Brian Munz, so I cannot judge from the small sample size I have heard of them.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I paired these two together because they're more like a tennis doubles team than singles. Dennis while consistently making me laugh by calling Scheifele "Mark Wheeler" still is an excellent hockey commentator. Shane as a former player has transitioned well into broadcasting and is excellent. You really appreciate the pair, when a game goes from being on TSN to Sportsnet. I truly know their worth on those days and can't wait for the next game to be on TSN. Outstanding Job, night in night out, well spoken and they take care of Business.

I hope you don't mind an outsider chipping in, but I saw a ton of Jets games on Gamecenter this season and I just wanted to say that I agree with the above - those guys are excellent. They are one of the best pairs around the league, for sure.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
I'll forego grading but I think the job is probably more difficult than we realize... always having to be "on" and never having the chance of a no fault do over.

Except for JT who I find borderline unfathomable; I don't know if he is just being contrarian for the sake of it or simply doesn't realize the logical disconnects of most of his views and his "supporting" evidence.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I'll forego grading but I think the job is probably more difficult than we realize... always having to be "on" and never having the chance of a no fault do over.

Except for JT who I find borderline unfathomable; I don't know if he is just being contrarian for the sake of it or simply doesn't realize the logical disconnects of most of his views and his "supporting" evidence.

That's exactly what I suspect. Without any opposing views the show would be an endless parade of 'yep I agree. Yep I agree. Isn't it nice how we all get along??!!'. It would be the sports radio version of Sesame Street.

Disagreement engenders discussion with begets phone calls and listeners.

m.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I catch the Big Show the most

Toth: C- He's sometimes funny?
Westwood: B. Uses analytics to the point where it is unbearable at times, every argument is based on hockey analytics, i like that he uses them however think he could pick his spots better.
Reuwicki: B/B+. Best on the big show, just needs to speak more. Has a good objective POV and understands opposing team's POV/needs when discussing potential trades, FA, team rankings etc.
Hustler: B+/A
Lawless: C/C+
Ralph: C/C+

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I agree that Westwood, Rewucki, and Hustler are the guys who generally know what they're talking about. I like all of them. Rewucki is most likely to be critical, and I imagine would be the favorite of the more critical HFJets posters. He always presents his opinions intelligently instead of just ranting (which is something I also appreciate of folks around here). Westwood is more aligned with the HFJets posters who are very positive on the Jets. Hustler's interviews are the best of the bunch.

In my book, Beyak gets high grades for his main job (play by play), but lower marks for his talk show appearances. I really enjoy his "Beyakisms", and he puts a lot of emotion into his calls. You can tell he digs his job. But his opinions are often pretty old-school.

Hnidy is good all around, although will rarely criticize anything about the team. I have heard him do it occasionally, but obviously he looks for the positive spin on things. His NHL experience does give an interesting angle on things.

Toth is all about how you approach listening to him. If you're looking for an in-depth analysis of the Jets, he'll drive you nuts. If you're looking for a bit of light-hearted radio fun, and don't take him too seriously, then you might enjoy his quirky personality. He gets Westwood really fired up too, so that can make for interesting radio. The number of times I've read folks on here rant about Toth's opinion is probably a sign that this keeps folks engaged.

Lawless is either interesting or infuriating. I do enjoy the referendum series on individual players and management, even if I don't always agree.

Ralphy is quirky as **** and makes me laugh. Probably folks either get his sense of humor, or don't. He's a talented radio voice. I'd say he is fairly knowledgeable, but I put him a notch below someone like Rewucki.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
beyak is a D. gets names wrongs, too old school in his thinking, his beyakisms are annoying, i could go on and on. I split between jets broadcasts and other team broadcasts, and he's in the bottom 3rd if not lower of who i like.
hnidy is a solid b+. picks his spots well, offers some insight even though he's always toeing the company line, and doesn't get in the way.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
That's exactly what I suspect. Without any opposing views the show would be an endless parade of 'yep I agree. Yep I agree. Isn't it nice how we all get along??!!'. It would be the sports radio version of Sesame Street.

Disagreement engenders discussion with begets phone calls and listeners.

m.

sorry. Toth is neither that smart, nor that good at his job. I rarely miss the Big Show, and there's no way he's just being a contrarian to improve the show. He's expressing his honestly-held, and often baffling and irrational views. Doing so does result in a certain amount of entertainment value, but he isn't doing that consciously. It's just the end result of the way he is...

My ratings...

Hustler B+ He's pretty good. Too much eating comp/pro-wrestling talk. I'm pretty sure there are other things they could find to fill time that have more "real" sports connection. Also, when he has Morency on and the 2 of them get wheezing back and forth it's like a chain smokers gravel-throat convention! But overall he's fine.

Lawless C I sorta like Gary. He seems like a nice guy. He needs to get a better handle on stuff before he starts making grand statements. He's often caught out saying stuff and then not being able to back it up with any sort of solid argument.

Toth D He sort of suffers from issues similar to Lawless, but he's got an arrogant nature that makes it much harder to get past. He's often wrong about stuff, but he rarely ever accepts that he's wrong about stuff and he'll double down on the dumb rather than admit maybe he's out to lunch. His hair ain't that great either.

Rewicki B- He's pretty good. Usually makes rational statements and occasionally gets off a funny line. He's a bit "beige" but fine ftmp.

Westwood A- Troy is good. He's a pretty smart guy who is prepared to go a little deeper in his analysis. He's perfectly willing to admit when he's out of his element or doesn't have a strong argument to back a given position he's adopted. He was one of the first guys (if not the first) to really get interested in advanced stats and to at least try and understand them. He gets a little heavy with the "heart & soul" stuff at times and the SJW stuff is over-cooked as well at times, but in general I enjoy listening to him as much as anyone on the station. He doesn't do it as often now as in the "glory days" of the show, but he can get off some very funny lines at times.

Rick Ralph C He's a "pro" apparently. I guess in some sense I hear that. He's snarky in an often off-putting way. His interviews too often devolve into him trying to show how clever he is with words and quips - such that he confuses his guests at times and creates an uncomfortable weirdness. He'd really benefit from having a co-host more often/always.

Hnidy B+ I like him. Does a good job most of the time.

The rest of the crew - C I guess...depends on the context.

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Toth: C+, people talk about him and in radio that's a good thing

Westwood:C, has come a long way, still room for improvement, his CFL knowledge is second to none, sounds a bit like an ex-player!

Reuwicki:B, pretty solid a tad boring

Hustler: B+, very good and still keeps it real, hate his food eating crap and WWE junk though

Lawless: C, Ol' mouth breather still good and fun to listen to

Ralph: B, would have graded him higher a year ago, does the guy want to be here?

Hnidy: A, has come a long way, good at what he does!:handclap:

Beyak: C+, early onset dementia not something to laugh at!:(

Munz: C+, guy actually does better on TV than radio!

Edmonds: C, okay don't get the radio shtick for PxP

Peacock: B+, one man act, hard to do!

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
how about mitch peacock? I would give him an A.

I'd give Mitch a B but there's potential for that to get higher. I just haven't heard him enough to really say. His PxP for the Moose games I thought was quite good, and the few appearances he made on the various shows he seemed to have the smarts and his presentation is really good.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

I've never heard Beyak call someone Mark Wheeler other than linesman Mark Wheler.

John Stackhouse (I think) and John Garrett were calling Blake Wheeler Mark Wheeler repeatedly during a Sportsnet game this past season, though.

peacock and edmonds need to flip leagues!

I agree wholeheartedly. I wonder if Peacock is being groomed to eventually take over for Beyak, though.

His more reasoned approach seems more in line with the TV call than the ridiculous Leafs, Sabres-style homer-squealing they seem to prefer for the Jets' radio call ('seem to prefer' because they replaced Munz with Edmonds).

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Rewicky: A- pretty logical guy, good understanding of the game

Lawless: B+ lightning rod, but nice guy, willing to learn, well connected and H&L suffers without him

Hnidy: B right sexy, knows more than he's willing to share on air

Hustler: B- good understanding of all aspects of the game, good host, bad interviewer with long-winding, uhh-filled questions

Westwood: C+ well informed and pretty rationale; but blah blah Buff, blah blah Buff, blah blah Buff, blah blah Buff...give it up he's 30+ and you're not changing him. he's a good defenseman and won't win a Norris.

Toth: C lovable idiot? solid host. voice for radio. all takes are wrong.

Beyak: C great PbP; keep him away from the daytime shows.

Ralph: C like him enough; roundtable could be more compelling; no more jokes please

Munz: C- what's a-matter with that hit?

Edmunds: D more baseball, less Jets?

Peacock: incomplete; sat next to him at the doctor's office once :dunno:

Illegal Curve guys: average out to a C+

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The problem in Winnipeg is there really isn't much to compare them too.

It's funny, and a part of their job, but I imagine some posters here would get really pissed off if someone posted on the internet judging you in your job.

Again, I'm sure the personalities are fine with it, but I find people throwing stones funny.

I like RR on the RR (heh) he's my favorite.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The problem in Winnipeg is there really isn't much to compare them too.

It's funny, and a part of their job, but I imagine some posters here would get really pissed off if someone posted on the internet judging you in your job.

Again, I'm sure the personalities are fine with it, but I find people throwing stones funny.

I like RR on the RR (heh) he's my favorite.

Well they are grading the players, would it be more fair if the players graded them :p

Granted I think in this case it's fair game. Their jobs are designed to cater to their listeners so I'd imagine part of their review is to see what the listeners think of them so that they can improve their content etc.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Beyak is an F in my books. Consistently calls the wrong player. The stats he lists off are not related to the game and uninteresting. Adds zero insight to anything. His voice is grating. Do I need to know about a kielbasa toss in winkler? He on two occasions said the human rights museum was across the river from downtown. His insistence during play by play on using full player names. This is especially the case for players with hyphenated first names.

The only positive Beyak has in my books is he's not a super homer like some guys out there. He's in the bottom couple of pbp guys in the league.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Rewicky: A- Too quiet, but shares a lot of fan views.
Lawless: C He's his own biggest fan, and is less prepared and less interested in other opinions now. Serves hot takes for clicks/calls.
Hnidy: B Very good. Resorts to player cliches occasionally, though. Gotta analyze!
Hustler: C Too into golf, haha. Not really an issue with him, but H&L is really H interviewing L, which sucks.
Westwood: B Good balance, is interested in learning about the game, stats, players.
Toth: D Uninformed, doesn't facilitate discussion among all hosts and callers properly. Saves the last word for himself.
Beyak: B- Much better than many others, makes a good drinking game. Calls everything a give and go. Why not?
Ralph: C Not a fan of single host, soap box type shows. Don't mind him with callers.
Munz: B- Does fine
Edmunds: D Scaw-horrzzzzz
Peacock: C Boring, but developing.

Why is no one grading Ralph in St. James?

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Well they are grading the players, would it be more fair if the players graded them :p

Granted I think in this case it's fair game. Their jobs are designed to cater to their listeners so I'd imagine part of their review is to see what the listeners think of them so that they can improve their content etc.

Now that would be a segment.

I'm not trying to comment on the personalities. I would assume they love any feedback, good or bad. (I know I do) I'm just saying I would bet many throwing stones live in glass houses, and luckily for them, the people they are throwing at, can't throw back.

Why is no one grading Ralph in St. James?

Sat in front of him at the Heritage classic. Him and his ?Grandson? were there. I can tell you he's the same in the flesh as on radio.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Now that would be a segment.

I'm not trying to comment on the personalities. I would assume they love any feedback, good or bad. (I know I do) I'm just saying I would bet many throwing stones live in glass houses, and luckily for them, the people they are throwing at, can't throw back.

well, I think that comes with the territory to a degree. But most of us are pretty cognizant of the fact that it's sort of a not so fair aspect of life as a media member that they have to suffer the slings and arrows of people like us. Heck, I've posted several times about my own "conflicted feelings" when it comes to judging the work of the guys on the radio. They are all people with families and feelings and I'm not really a mean-spirited person who takes pleasure in hurting somebodies feelings. But, part of what they are paid to do is to attract listeners and keep them once they are there. If enough people just don't like their work, they probably should investigate other options...

Oh, and Ralphie does sort of throw back on occasion. :)

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Not going to grade every on-air guy but Lawless, and Hustler even more so, take forever to ask their guests a question. If they've got Dreger, or Wheeler, or Bobby Mac on there, I'm tuning in to listen to them, not Hustler take 45 seconds to pre-amble into his question about how the off-season is going.

Normal question: "Blake, now that the season is over, are you spending some time outdoors?"

Hustler question: "Blake, Minnesota is known as the Land of 10,000 Lakes, and I know guys like you, and Buff, and other Minnesota guys on the team grew up doing a lot of fishing in the summer. Buff especially loves the hunting and fishing out there and I'm sure you guys can really enjoy your off-season doing those kinds of activities. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling us a bit about your off-season routine, and which one of those 10,000 lakes you like to get out to, to escape the rink for a bit and get to enjoy the off-season?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad