Tryamkin’s April 2018 Top 275 Draft Rankings

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Good list, I definitely don’t have the knowledge of this draft to access everyone but I appreciate all of the work you put into this. As a Giants STH I’m just wondering your opinions on a few players.

Milos Roman seems right around where he’s always ranked. Was wondering what your best NHL projection/comparable would be

I’m surprised you have Tyler Popowich ranked at all. Big kid with awkward skating who may grow into it, but was wondering what you see in him.

Liked the inclusion of James Malm. Smaller but he’s a gamer and has a lot of skill. Was buried on the third line for chucks of the year and never saw first unit powerplay time. Think he’ll breakout big time next year.

Plouffe had an up and down year, and is older but put up good numbers. Personally I like Kannok-Leipert better but can understand the opposite.

Cool to see Tendeck there and he did have a good year but I can’t evaluate amateur goalies for shit so I won’t comment on his ranking.

Thanks for doing this!

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Good list, I definitely don’t have the knowledge of this draft to access everyone but I appreciate all of the work you put into this. As a Giants STH I’m just wondering your opinions on a few players.

Milos Roman seems right around where he’s always ranked. Was wondering what your best NHL projection/comparable would be

I’m surprised you have Tyler Popowich ranked at all. Big kid with awkward skating who may grow into it, but was wondering what you see in him.

Liked the inclusion of James Malm. Smaller but he’s a gamer and has a lot of skill. Was buried on the third line for chucks of the year and never saw first unit powerplay time. Think he’ll breakout big time next year.

Plouffe had an up and down year, and is older but put up good numbers. Personally I like Kannok-Leipert better but can understand the opposite.

Cool to see Tendeck there and he did have a good year but I can’t evaluate amateur goalies for **** so I won’t comment on his ranking.

Thanks for doing this!
Thanks!

Roman probably will be a middle six two way center who could be a reliable second liner if he pans out.

Popowich’s frame is really nice. 6’3/6’4 is the perfect range for me, and he’s already 200+ lbs. I think he’ll break out next year, he works really hard. This year was a big dissapointment and I’m hoping he works hard on his skating in the offseason. Kids with great work ethic like Tyler usually are a lot easier to fix.

I agree on Malm, he’s only going to improve with increased ice team.

I’m not a very good goalie evaluator either to be honest, I struggle with them :laugh:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
4-9 are really hard for me to rank

if you need a winger you're probably happy with Wahlsltrom or Tkachuk at any of the draft positions 4-9

if you need a dman you're probably happy to end up with any of Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist, Hughes at any draft position 4-9

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
4-9 are really hard for me to rank

if you need a winger you're probably happy with Wahlsltrom or Tkachuk at any of the draft positions 4-9

if you need a dman you're probably happy to end up with any of Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist, Hughes at any draft position 4-9
Personally, and this is just my opinion, I wouldn’t be “happy” with Tkachuk at any spot in the top 10.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
No Radim Salda or Luke Henman? I don’t know if Salda will get drafted but he was really good on a bad Sea Dogs team this year. I could see a team starting to sniff around him at about round 5. He could also go undrafted but he’s definitely should be in the conversation I think as far as prospects go.

Luke Henman has really grown all season for the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada. He’s a real skinny kid, good skater, more of a playmaker then he is a goal scorer and has always show a commitment to both ends of the rink. He’s turned it up in the playoffs 3 goals, 6 assists in 7 games.. compared to 9 goals, 38 assists, 61 games. I think he’s going to have a real big year next season and I think he’s going to end up getting drafted this year. Someone could be looking at him in a years time and thinking they got a real late round steal.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
No Radim Salda or Luke Henman? I don’t know if Salda will get drafted but he was really good on a bad Sea Dogs team this year. I could see a team starting to sniff around him at about round 5. He could also go undrafted but he’s definitely should be in the conversation I think as far as prospects go.

Luke Henman has really grown all season for the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada. He’s a real skinny kid, good skater, more of a playmaker then he is a goal scorer and has always show a commitment to both ends of the rink. He’s turned it up in the playoffs 3 goals, 6 assists in 7 games.. compared to 9 goals, 38 assists, 61 games. I think he’s going to have a real big year next season and I think he’s going to end up getting drafted this year. Someone could be looking at him in a years time and thinking they got a real late round steal.
Salda is #234, I usually put overagers lower than they should be just because they’re overagers and have an extra year of development that they other kids haven’t. He’s good, and probably will get drafted.

I actually saw Henman for the first time last week. This list was released April 1st, so he’ll feature next month. You’re correct, his playoffs have been very impressive. Thanks for the input!

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Salda is #234, I usually put overagers lower than they should be just because they’re overagers and have an extra year of development that they other kids haven’t. He’s good, and probably will get drafted.

I actually saw Henman for the first time last week. This list was released April 1st, so he’ll feature next month. You’re correct, his playoffs have been very impressive. Thanks for the input!

Ahh I had looked a few times for Salda, must have just missed him!

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
No offense, but I find it hard to believe that a non-professional has seen enough of these players to make proper evaluations. It’s logistically impossible.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
No offense, but I find it hard to believe that a non-professional has seen enough of these players to make proper evaluations. It’s logistically impossible.
Knowing @Tryamkin from Discord I can tell you that he watches these prospects a LOT. He is always my go-to guy for prospect information. Yeah he isn’t a professional but he is very knowledgeable when it comes to players yet to make the NHL.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
That’s totally okay to believe. I have no life so it is how it is :)
The thing is you have to admit gaps in your knowledge. There’s simply no feasible way you can scout everyone on your list. It’s not only a matter of time, but also travel and availability of footage. It’s therefore required you use derivative reports.

I don’t mean to pick on just you, but I have a general problem with cursory rankings like this one. At the end of the day, there’s nothing to substantiate the rankings. What I’d be more interested in is in-depth reports of fewer prospects backed up by objective observation and critical analysis. It’s something I don’t see a lot of.

Last edited:
Reactions: DraftGuru

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
The thing is you have to admit gaps in your knowledge. There’s simply no feasible way you can scout everyone on your list. It’s not only a matter of time, but also travel and availability of footage. It’s therefore required you use derivative reports.

I don’t mean to pick on just you, but I have a general problem with cursory rankings like this one. At the end of the day, there’s nothing to substantiate the rankings. What I’d be more interested in is in-depth reports of fewer prospects backed up by objective observation and critical analysis. It’s something I don’t see a lot of.
At the end of every draft year about a few weeks before the draft I post my full rankings with analysis for each player.
Obviously the high school players require me too look at highlights and clips to assess, and it’s not the best way to evaluate, but I deal with the best that I can do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad