McKenzie: Troy Stecher Available actively in trade talks.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I’d rather have Stecher than Barrie to be honest, he’s more consistent and better in his own end. If Hughes wasn’t here than I’d lean towards Barrie.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I would too but why would NJ?

I mean I definitely wouldn't if I was them. But that wasn't the question being asked.

Why? There's zero reason to. That's just throwing away picks.

MacEwen can do a better job than Simmonds at this point.

We can make the trade then immediately send Simmonds to the ECHL for all I care, he's a means to an end of moving salary cap next year. 5 million (prorated) this season for 3.35 this year (and more importantly next)? That's a win.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
We can make the trade then immediately send Simmonds to the ECHL for all I care, he's a means to an end of moving salary cap next year. 5 million (prorated) this season for 3.35 this year (and more importantly next)? That's a win.

Trade Stecher and then move Simmonds to ECHL?

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I mean I definitely wouldn't if I was them. But that wasn't the question being asked.

Didn't see the Baertschi part. Yeah, I'd do that trade on second glance.

I don't want the Canucks to do a trade for Simmonds without giving up a bloat contract back.

Reactions: Cogburn

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I like Stecher.
He always plays hard.
Carolina should take a look at Stecher if they are worried about their situation.
If the Canucks are looking at Barrie as a reclamation project, with the issue being he'd be just another rental, could Jake Gardiner for Troy Stecher be an option? We've heard Gardiner might be available/hasn't worked out, and that Carolina wants more depth at defense.
Could Carolina retain on Gardiner?
That way, the Canucks get a cost-controlled return for RFA Stecher, rather than a player who would be gone at season's end.
Jake would play LD in sheltered minutes, and essentially be insurance for if Edler or Hughes get hurt.
Jake Gardiner could be this year's Tanner Pearson?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I like Stecher.
He always plays hard.
Carolina should take a look at Stecher if they are worried about their situation.
If the Canucks are looking at Barrie as a reclamation project, with the issue being he'd be just another rental, could Jake Gardiner for Troy Stecher be an option? We've heard Gardiner might be available/hasn't worked out, and that Carolina wants more depth at defense.
Could Carolina retain on Gardiner?
That way, the Canucks get a cost-controlled return for RFA Stecher, rather than a player who would be gone at season's end.
Jake would play LD in sheltered minutes, and essentially be insurance for if Edler or Hughes get hurt.
Jake Gardiner could be this year's Tanner Pearson?

Stecher's a third-liner, though. He might be playing in the first line but only had ten points or so.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Lmao. Please tell me what’s wrong about my post.

If you think Simmonds is a better hockey player than Troy Stetcher at the moment that’s ludicrous

Simmonds is not a very good player, but you're exaggerating Stecher's play. He plays in the first line, yet he scores only ten points. Put someone like Myers on that line, and he can produce better. So, I say Stecher and Simmonds are on par. Lol.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Simmonds is not a very good player, but you're exaggerating Stecher's play. He plays in the first line, yet he scores only ten points. Put someone like Myers on that line, and he can produce better. So, I say Stecher and Simmonds are on par. Lol.

You’re wrong. Simmonds is terrible meanwhile Stecher is serviceable and versatile.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You’re wrong. Simmonds is terrible meanwhile Stecher is serviceable and versatile.
One of Stecher or Tanev won’t be back. They currently combine for a $6.7 mill cap hit. Think the Canucks have to keep the combined costs of those two D spots at the same or lower costs given their desire to try to retain Markstrom.

Stecher is a RFA with arbitration rights. His case won’t be as strong this summer given his usage this season. Hutton has a stronger case due to the poor D core and his usage last season so the Canucks cut bait and he ended up signing for $1.5 mill vs the $3.5 mill or more the Canucks feared via arbitration.

first thing to figure out about Stecher is whether he is viewed as a rental by a playoff team who won’t qualify him since they don’t want to pay him $2.5 mill or more next season. Or whether he’s a guy that a non playoff team would want next season for that $2.5 mill.

that will determine what your options are for trading him. Doubtful the Canucks move him for a pick, but maybe they use that pick to get something else. Canucks have been healthy at RHD this season so they’d be rolling the dice that not more than 1 guy is out at a time.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I wonder if Benning would do Barrie straight up, it's close to a cap neutral trade.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder if Benning would do Barrie straight up, it's close to a cap neutral trade.
He defends way better than Barrie. Even with the Avs he was a minus player. He will bleed goals. He’s kind of a stats guy that won’t help you win those tough games.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
This guy plays with so much heart. Makes everyone around him play harder.

I have no issues with the Canucks adding a d man but I do not want them trading this guy away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad