Trouble with CHL Streaming on Roku App

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Is anyone else having issues with the streaming from the Roku app/channel? I've been a CHL TV subscriber for 3 years now and I've always had great luck with it. No lags or buffering ever. For the last month or so, it does a buffer every 10-15 seconds and it's really annoying. The last couple games I've just mirrored my phone to the TV to avoid the buffering but the quality isn't as good for obvious reasons. If anyone has any tips/tricks or maybe you're experiencing the same thing. I can't even find an email to do a "contact us" for problems.

TheRailBird2

Oct 4, 2023
I have been having the same issues and have also resorted to streaming it from my phone now. Don’t have a solution though. Seems to be okay from my phone

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I resorted to running an HDMI from my laptop to my Roku TV.

Between the league website not functioning properly on cell phones and issues with the chl live website it's really a headscratcher as to how this league seems 10 years behind on tech.

Reactions: Helvigster

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So I will tell you my story about buffering issues on my LG tv . Anything you use from this is your doing if any issues arise.

From a friend who is ( much more ) tecky than I am gave me these 2 steps. It is for any smart tv but use at your own risk.

1) go into your system and find the wifi settings. Change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 this will direct the tv searches to the Google server which is much more stable then most standard servers . Just remember what the code was originally in case you have issues and need to go back .

2) go back into systems and usually under general you need to look for location. You would have set this when you set up your tv. Once you find that it will be set to the country of your residence. In my case Canada. Change that to any other country. My case I chose United States. Enter accept and the tv will shut down and then restart again. This actually resets your tv. Once tv is back on go right back in and change the location back to the proper country you live in, my case Canada. Tv will shut down and then reset . You will have to accept the terms of agreement again as your tv is starting up as if new again. Only takes 30 seconds to complete that part .

I was told by this person it is the only true way to reset your tv. Unplugging it, plugging it back in does not do a background reset which the tv needs to stabilize the DNS.

I did this 2 weeks ago and my tv has been perfect since. But again your on your own if you try this .

Hope this helps and sorry about the long post. Happy hockey hunting!

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
I've submitted a request- two weeks with constant buffering every 10-15 seconds is unacceptable. I understand there are some smaller market teams that can't splurge on a production budget but the cost for the app does not reflect what they've provided.

https://chlsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Yes...the CHL needs to understand that not every team has a Rogers-style broadcast crew but the buffering would make even an NHL-broadcast unwatchable. I've said to others that watching a Soo game is like watching my dad videotape with a 1989 Camcorder but if it doesn't buffer, it's a totally fine way to watch a game and I know what I'm getting going into it. London has an extremely professional broadcast and Saginaw game there the other night was unwatchable because of the app buffering. I have also submitted a support request and hopefully they'll get it figured out soon.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
So I will tell you my story about buffering issues on my LG tv . Anything you use from this is your doing if any issues arise.

From a friend who is ( much more ) tecky than I am gave me these 2 steps. It is for any smart tv but use at your own risk.

1) go into your system and find the wifi settings. Change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 this will direct the tv searches to the Google server which is much more stable then most standard servers . Just remember what the code was originally in case you have issues and need to go back .

2) go back into systems and usually under general you need to look for location. You would have set this when you set up your tv. Once you find that it will be set to the country of your residence. In my case Canada. Change that to any other country. My case I chose United States. Enter accept and the tv will shut down and then restart again. This actually resets your tv. Once tv is back on go right back in and change the location back to the proper country you live in, my case Canada. Tv will shut down and then reset . You will have to accept the terms of agreement again as your tv is starting up as if new again. Only takes 30 seconds to complete that part .

I was told by this person it is the only true way to reset your tv. Unplugging it, plugging it back in does not do a background reset which the tv needs to stabilize the DNS.

I did this 2 weeks ago and my tv has been perfect since. But again your on your own if you try this .

Hope this helps and sorry about the long post. Happy hockey hunting!
This is a great tip. I wonder if someone with a Roku TV could give it a try?

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
This has nothing to do with Roku on the Firestick but simply posting as a backup plan or for those who don't have the Roku option.

Use Google Chrome on your laptop(no mobile) and make sure you download the Adblock extension ( AdBlock – der beste Ad-Blocker ) then go to www.onhockey.tv and they will have all the OHL games live. Just scroll through the leagues on the top left, Don't try scrolling the page, you will have to hover over the game/league menu and scroll and it will go down.

Don't try this on your phone you legit won't get on. I don't use this very often, only an absolute last resort but I do have friends who use the website for every single Hound game.

Firebirds93

Jan 19, 2024
Well, I am glad that I finally found some communication on this matter. I have been dealing with this issue for about a month or so now. Exact same issues, persistent buffering. I actually am in IT, and can without question confirm that this has nothing to do with connectivity/hardware on my end. It's good to hear that donjonhnson got a response, I will see if there is any change tonight with the Firebirds' game. I just double checked and there is no CHL app update on my Roku, yet. Currently running version 3.0 Build 1. I'll check again tonight and report back. The issue has made the games completely unwatchable.

Also, HF92 is spot on with onhockey.tv. It's kind of a sketchy site, and you don't want to try it on your phone. But, as a last resort, I have had success utilizing it in the past. Definitely use an adblocker if you attempt to use it though. Only wish I could get Chrome to cast from that site so that I could still watch it on my TV.

Last edited:

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Well, I am glad that I finally found some communication on this matter. I have been dealing with this issue for about a month or so now. Exact same issues, persistent buffering. I actually am in IT, and can without question confirm that this has nothing to do with connectivity/hardware on my end. It's good to hear that donjonhnson got a response, I will see if there is any change tonight with the Firebirds' game. I just double checked and there is no CHL app update on my Roku, yet. Currently running version 3.0 Build 1. I'll check again tonight and report back. The issue has made the games completely unwatchable.

Also, HF92 is spot on with onhockey.tv. It's kind of a sketchy site, and you don't want to try it on your phone. But, as a last resort, I have had success utilizing it in the past. Definitely use an adblocker if you attempt to use it though. Only wish I could get Chrome to cast from that site so that I could still watch it on my TV.
App Version 3.0 Build 1 is the version that I submitted to support so if there is a new version it will be something after that. While the interwebs make it sound like some have had issues for longer, it definitely seems like something changed about a month ago. I also dabble in IT (not a pro by any means) and I'm also very confident that unless Roku did something to throttle the connection, it's something on the CHL App side and hopefully the email from support will change it.

Reactions: Firebirds93

Firebirds93

Jan 19, 2024
Well, still no update to the CHL app on Roku, but I just got through an entire period of Flint @ Guelph without a single stoppage for buffering. For the last month it would have buffered at least 3-4 times every minute. Perhaps they finally have this addressed.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Watched the entire Saginaw @ Ottawa with zero buffering... Hopefully it's fixed for good

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com

Try to cast entire page from Chrome, then optimize the cast when full screen (should be able to check a box ). When you’re in full screen mode it will take the video like a true cast and you can continue using browser as normal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00