Trouble shooting puck, after years of ball hockey.

score77

Jan 27, 2005
Hopatcong NJ
I have played some ice in my life but a majority of the hockey i have played has been outdoor inline hockey played with a ball. I have recently joined an adult ice league, and i'm having all sorts of trouble adjusting to shooting a puck. I think my technique is all wrong. I can occasionally get a decent shot off, but most of the time, no matter what type of shot a take the puck flutters and flips end over end. Is there any thing i can do to help me learn the proper way to shoot, while on dry land cause i don't have free time around the times when there is open hockey sessions around here, in NJ.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
get a pro puck- best roller puck out there.

basically shooting a ball takes next to no wrist strength what so ever to get under. you have to imagine really getting under that puck and putting power.

repetition is key.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
Wow, I'm having the same problems as you but opposite. I have trouble shootong the ball!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Roll the puck from the heel to the toe.

Work with a weighted puck.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
Wow, I'm having the same problems as you but opposite. I have trouble shootong the ball!

let me guess, every time you take a slapshot it goes sailing out of the rink? :P

Seen it with everyone hahah. Even on wristshots alot.

As for shooting the puck, I'm mostly in the same situation as you except I've played with an inline puck alot of the time. It felt the same just heavier. Practiced a bunch of shots in the garage every day and it came.

I never seem to take wrist shots with a ball, only quick snapshots. Maybe you're using your wrists too much, or something similar?

Ducksgo*

I have played some ice in my life but a majority of the hockey i have played has been outdoor inline hockey played with a ball. I have recently joined an adult ice league, and i'm having all sorts of trouble adjusting to shooting a puck. I think my technique is all wrong. I can occasionally get a decent shot off, but most of the time, no matter what type of shot a take the puck flutters and flips end over end. Is there any thing i can do to help me learn the proper way to shoot, while on dry land cause i don't have free time around the times when there is open hockey sessions around here, in NJ.

Having this same issue as well, it seems that I can not get a good spin of the puck when shooting all shots. The puck always seems to flutter and not have a good spin to it. I have a P92 so should I be shooting from the heal to toe? or mid to toe? what am I doin wrong I wonder.....:help:

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
I Can't shoot the ball either...it's been more than 10 years since I played with a ball now every time I attempt to take a wrist shot I'm scoring.....what would be a successful field goal.

budster

Schoolyard Puck
Let's start with the obvious...do you tape your ball hockey stick? If so, stop. Next, try a more gentle curve with the ball. Watch your follow through. You might have to bring it higher with the puck. I'm guessing you weren't taking advantage of stick flex when shooting a ball so try putting a little more pressure on the stick when launching a puck. Last, for you guys going from puck to ball, try a really stiff stick like one that's made out of aluminum--that might help bring it down.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
If you're shooting a regular roller hockey ball and it's not curving in the air(on long shots you'll notice it very clearly), you won't be able to shoot a puck well. Simply put, it's because you aren't "closing" your blade correctly to give the spin needed for a hard, flat shot.

TheHMan

Feb 2, 2008
Montreal
As others have said, you're not really letting the puck roll from heel to toe which doesn't give it much stability. With a ball, all you really need to do is just start pushing the ball and angle your stick and it ramps off of your stick no problem.

First thing I'd work on is just controlling the puck well enough so you can chop it back to your heel. Try to cup the puck on the heel, and make sure you do it well. If you seat the puck against the blade well, then you'll be able to get the proper snap on it.

Wrist snapping is the other part, first you cup the puck, open the blade a bit to start it rolling down the blade, and as you release close the blade and roll your wrists so it rockets off of the toe and has a nice spin to it. This guy demonstrates it really well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCwFOR9P6Dg

Last bit I'd suggest is working on the release part where you use your top hand to pull back on the stick. I find that using balls, you tend to use your lower hand a lot more to guide the ball. If you do this with a puck, you don't get the proper acceleration to ensure that it stays stuck to your blade and you get a poor release.

To me, those are the three most important things you have to focus on in order to get a good release. Everything else on top is just for power and accuracy.

Ducksgo*

As others have said, you're not really letting the puck roll from heel to toe which doesn't give it much stability. With a ball, all you really need to do is just start pushing the ball and angle your stick and it ramps off of your stick no problem.

First thing I'd work on is just controlling the puck well enough so you can chop it back to your heel. Try to cup the puck on the heel, and make sure you do it well. If you seat the puck against the blade well, then you'll be able to get the proper snap on it.

Wrist snapping is the other part, first you cup the puck, open the blade a bit to start it rolling down the blade, and as you release close the blade and roll your wrists so it rockets off of the toe and has a nice spin to it. This guy demonstrates it really well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCwFOR9P6Dg

Last bit I'd suggest is working on the release part where you use your top hand to pull back on the stick. I find that using balls, you tend to use your lower hand a lot more to guide the ball. If you do this with a puck, you don't get the proper acceleration to ensure that it stays stuck to your blade and you get a poor release.

To me, those are the three most important things you have to focus on in order to get a good release. Everything else on top is just for power and accuracy.

Good post, can you tell me why the puck flutters when I shoot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad