Value of: Trouba to Detroit

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
That hurts. Chevy would have to be very sure of Veleno as an NHLer. Yzerman would be committing to a sped up rebuild.

Don't forget that the 6th probably gets you one of Dach, Byram or Cozens.

Last edited:

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Then what would be in your eyes?
A lot will depend on the picks and players involved. An extended Trouba will likely cost something around a 1st, a roster player and a prospect.

You were suggesting that a return equaling less than what Trouba would return as a pure 20 game rental was fair for an extended Trouba.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Gotta love the illusion that you're in the driver's seat in trade talks of a player who's demanded trades in the past and won't sign past a year so he can GTFO of your city.
But it's very unlikely that the Wings will be the only team interested in Trouba. He will be in high demand and the Jets will simply wait for the best offer. The price at an auction is always driven by the underbidder. Wings would have to beat the another team's best offer or they won't get Trouba.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
But it's very unlikely that the Wings will be the only team interested in Trouba. He will be in high demand and the Jets will simply wait for the best offer. The price at an auction is always driven by the underbidder. Wings would have to beat the another team's best offer or they won't get Trouba.

Thst would be best.

They dont want him at the sole price of only improving the Winnipeg jets long term but crippling the Detroit red wings
He is not multi norris trophy winner Erik Karlsson and not anywhere close

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

There will be a lot of teams interested but Trouba is really in the driver’s seat. If he is just interested in one or two locations (say Detroit or Florida), other teams won’t offer up that much for a one year rental.

So, I am not expecting full value from Detroit or Florida for an extended Trouba... but I would expect something better than a rental package.

If these trade offers are cheap, Jets will probably just keep him one more year and maybe reassess at the TDL depending how they are doing.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
How about this idea as a 3 way?

Trade 1:

To EDM: Mantha, 6th OA

To DET: Nuge, 8th OA

Trade 2:

To DET: Trouba

To WPG: Nuge

The Wings move back 2 spots (likely not effecting their chances to take Podkolzin - if he’s there at 6, he’ll be there at 8), and turn a winger into a 1 RD.

The Jets do the best salvage job they can regarding Trouba, gaining a high end 2C signed to a reasonable deal for 2 years. Nuge put up 69pts last year playing 25 games on McDavid’s wing, then centering a revolving door of crap wingers for the remaining 57 games. At the very least he duplicates those numbers centering Laine and Ehlers, all while playing a good 2 way game.

Oil move up 2 spots in the draft (not sure it makes a big difference, but might), land a quality winger, and gain 2.7 mil in cap space - though it breaks up McDavid-Drai line to have Drai move back down the middle.

Everyone wins?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas

Trade 1:

Trade 2:

The Wings move back 2 spots (likely not effecting their chances to take Podkolzin - if he’s there at 6, he’ll be there at 8), and turn a winger into a 1 RD.

The Jets do the best salvage job they can regarding Trouba, gaining a high end 2C signed to a reasonable deal for 2 years. Nuge put up 69pts last year playing 25 games on McDavid’s wing, then centering a revolving door of crap wingers for the remaining 57 games. At the very least he duplicates those numbers centering Laine and Ehlers, all while playing a good 2 way game.

Oil move up 2 spots in the draft (not sure it makes a big difference, but might), land a quality winger, and gain 2.7 mil in cap space - though it breaks up McDavid-Drai line to have Drai move back down the middle.

Everyone wins?
There would need to be one of the picks or something else coming to Winnipeg along with RNH since RNH only has two years left, if Trouba is extended.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Trade 1:

Trade 2:

Everyone wins?
Jets will do better IMO than getting JUST Hopkins. I certainly would not trade Trouba 1 for 1 for him. Plus, his salary does not help the Jets CAP situation AND he only has 2 years remaining on his contract.

Reactions: Snowman

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There will be a lot of teams interested but Trouba is really in the driver’s seat. If he is just interested in one or two locations (say Detroit or Florida), other teams won’t offer up that much for a one year rental.

So, I am not expecting full value from Detroit or Florida for an extended Trouba... but I would expect something better than a rental package.

If these trade offers are cheap, Jets will probably just keep him one more year and maybe reassess at the TDL depending how they are doing.
The Jets still hold leverage, though.

If the Jets can't get a good return on him, then they can just keep him on an arbitration contract next season as their own "rental". The Jets are a contending team. That would likely be very unpalatable for Trouba, who would have to spend yet another year on a sub-market value contract, and not in a preferred location.

If Trouba really wants to get to a US destination as much as so many seem to think, he needs the Jets to help him get there this off-season.

Also, I doubt that Trouba will narrow down his options to only 1 or 2 teams, because he would lose leverage in his own contract negotiations with his new team. As long as he's open to competition between 2-3 teams that are keen on him, that competition will also help the Jets get a good return in trade. Off hand, I would say that the Flyers, Rangers, Panthers and Wings would likely have considerable interest, with the Avs and Ducks as dark horses.

Reactions: Heldig and Snowman

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
There would need to be one of the picks or something else coming to Winnipeg along with RNH since RNH only has two years left, if Trouba is extended.

Sure - if he were extended. He isn’t. And he won’t while he’s a Jet. So you’ve got a guy coming off a great year, with the worst agent to deal with in the game, only willing to sign a 1 year deal if you keep him so he can go UFA. I don’t really see you guys in the drivers seat. I’d say Trouba holds all the cards.

Jets will do better IMO than getting JUST Hopkins. I certainly would not trade Trouba 1 for 1 for him. Plus, his salary does not help the Jets CAP situation AND he only has 2 years remaining on his contract.

See my above post. You guys need to realize his value is based on one guaranteed year of service. Would he be willing to sign long term in Detroit? Sounds like it, but that doesn’t play a role in upping his trade value.

Is he better than Nuge? Yes, by a decent margin, but even if you keep him for next year and let him walk, you’re probably paying him 7.5-8 in arbitration. 1 year vs 2 of Nuge with a 1.5-2 mil hit difference.

Maybe you guys can do better, I don’t know, but it would have to be with a team that knows they could sign him if you want to see an increase in return. And then you guys also want someone who can help now. That’s a big ask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad