Value of: Trouba to Detroit

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Assuming his time is up with the Jets (sure seems like it) and that the Wings don’t just hold off and hope he hits UFA, what’s a realistic package for him?

That is a tough question because of so many variables. If the rumor is true that he really wants to come home and play for Detroit then you have to assume teams know as such. As a Red Wing fan I am pumped because if he is traded without an extension it is time to get excited.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Really depends on the situation/opinion, if we assume he doesn't resign with the Jets long term & traded before any arbitration hearing (which would lock him in for one year, assuring he stays in Winnipeg one more year).

- He's traded via trade/sign similar to Stone, eliminates any risk to another team, Trouba gets his long term deal one year sooner and increases his return to the Jets.

- Trouba is traded to some other team as a rental for one year. This forces Trouba to wait one more year to sign with one of his desirable teams in Eastern USA: Wings, Flyers, Rangers, Bolts, Panthers....all have been Rumored linked to Trouba over the last couple years. This would reduce the return to the Jets vs the trade/sign option and becomes a bidding war for his services in one year when he's a UFA.

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
I seem to remember Detroit use to be interested in prying Myers out of Buffalo.I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up there.Maybe they see something in him others don't.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I seem to remember Detroit use to be interested in prying Myers out of Buffalo.I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up there.Maybe they see something in him others don't.

A few weeks ago I would agree with you. Now, we have a new GM, Mr. Yzerman.
Kind of puts a damper on any old rumors and while Holland is still an advisor Yzerman is calling all the shots now.

As for Trouba, I could see Yzerman pushing hard for him. Trouba fits the age of our core and fills our biggest need.
I don't know what a fair package would look like with so many variables surrounding the situation.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Winnipeg will ask for 2019 1st, but gotta believe that’s off the table from Detroit.

I’ve actuslly been kicking around the idea of Trouba to Detroit for a while now and best I could come up with is Veleno + 2019 2nd + ...not sure what the add would be tho. It would have to be something substantial assuming Trouba came with an extension.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Winnipeg will ask for 2019 1st, but gotta believe that’s off the table from Detroit.

I’ve actuslly been kicking around the idea of Trouba to Detroit for a while now and best I could come up with is Veleno + 2019 2nd + ...not sure what the add would be tho. It would have to be something substantial assuming Trouba came with an extension.

Add a good D prospect to your offer (no 1st hurts the offer)....that would have my interest......and yes would be a trade & sign deal.

Last edited:

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Add a good D prospect to your offer (no 1st hurts the offer)....that would have my interest......and yes would be a trade & sign deal.

I assume you mean one of Cholowski/Hronek?
So Cholowski/Hronek + Veleno + 2019 2nd.

That price stings too much for Detroit. Our 2 gaping holes in the roster are Defenseman and Center.
While addressing the need for a legit top pairing guy, we can not gut our farm system in the process.
Trouba really is the perfect fit into our core but at that kind of asking price we are better off waiting to see if we can sign him as a UFA.

The more I've thought about this the more I see that Detroit just does not have the expendable assets to make a trade work. Everything the Jets would want, we can not part with.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

That price stings too much for Detroit. Our 2 gaping holes in the roster are Defenseman and Center.
While addressing the need for a legit top pairing guy, we can not gut our farm system in the process.
Trouba really is the perfect fit into our core but at that kind of asking price we are better off waiting to see if we can sign him as a UFA.

The more I've thought about this the more I see that Detroit just does not have the expendable assets to make a trade work. Everything the Jets would want, we can not part with.
Maybe one of Lindstrom/McIsaac instead?

Seems reasonable... but judging value on this type of situation difficult.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

Yeah losing Veleno is too much. I'd part with somebody like Christoffer Ehn (NHL ready depth C on an ELC) + Cholo/Hronek + DET 2019 2nd but I'm not confident that gets it done.

Are there any contracts the Jets want to dump?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If you take a few precedent trade examples here's how i view a possible trade... this is all dependent on Trouba willing to sign an extension with the acquiring team of course

Patches->VGK's trade and sign
Suzuki (13th OA in 2017), 2nd rounder (pick #50 currently), Tatar

so a top 15 1st first round asset, a late 2nd, and a replacement player that might be a step down

Hamilton->CGY on the draft floor
15th OA, 45th OA and 52 OA in the loaded 2015 draft....strict futures deal

or a CGY/CAR style multi-player deal... perhaps Trouba+young developing Fwd for a stud C+developing RHD. so Jets give up the proven RHD/Developing Fwd for a proven C/developing RHD

from Detroit i think a deal around Hronek+ is plausible, or McIsaac+Veleno+draft pick? I also do think Detroit shouldn't trade for Trouba at this point of their rebuild. they're not at the point where Trouba is the missing piece from turning this team in to a Cup contender. Trouba is still young though, but i think they still need to build the lineup before making a deal where they're sending multiple young and valuable assets out the door. i think with GM SY at the helm they'll value the younger pieces even more

Last edited:

Ezgidi

Apr 30, 2019

guys i would not even give Hronek up for trouba. the guy is way overrated and a cough up machine. i will get him in detroit for free next year. if not no big loss.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
guys i would not even give Hronek up for trouba. the guy is way overrated and a cough up machine. i will get him in detroit for free next year. if not no big loss.

Yeah, I don't disagree. I think a solid presence like Trouba on our top pairing would help the team a lot next season. But, taking another down year, keeping our prospects and draft picks, and taking a shot at Trouba as a UFA would probably be better in the long run.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
If we had 1 more legit top 6 winger and a bona fide 2c ready to go I'd trade 6OA for Trouba in a heartbeat. At this point, we're further away than that. We've got some good assets that could potentially become those things(Zadina/Veleno/Bergrren) but they're just that right now, assets.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

Veleno + McIsaac + 2019 2nd is the minimum I'd be looking for.

Last edited:

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I would hope Yzerman has enough sense to realize we can't afford to be acquiring any significantly valued player via trade at this point in time.

Just hope and pray for FA, and save the much needed assets this rebuilding teams vastly needs.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Cholowski and Rasmussen is probably in the ballpark. If I’m the Jets I demand Hronek. Not that Cholowski doesn’t have a really bright future but with the way Hronek played towards the end of the season showed us he has a little special in him.

It would be interesting what worth the Jets see at 6OA. If I’m Detroit I’d trade Cholowski and the 6OA without hesitation. That’s a lot of value, but I’d still press for Hronek.

There’s a deal to be made here. Unless the Jets can maybe move Ehlers and create more cap space, they’ll be taking draft picks and ELC players. Cholowski and Hronek both have 2 yrs left which will help the Jets considerably.

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I would hope Yzerman has enough sense to realize we can't afford to be acquiring any significantly valued player via trade at this point in time.

Just hope and pray for FA, and save the much needed assets this rebuilding teams vastly needs.

A guy like Trouba would be an 8-10 year player for the Wings. You get a chance to grab him, you do it.

I’d agree with you if we were talking about acquiring a 30 yr old, etc but Trouba can be one of your foundational pieces.

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Cholowski and Rasmussen is probably in the ballpark. If I’m the Jets I demand Hronek. Not that Cholowski doesn’t have a really bright future but with the way Hronek played towards the end of the season showed us he has a little special in him.

It would be interesting what worth the Jets see at 6OA. If I’m Detroit I’d trade Cholowski and the 6OA without hesitation. That’s a lot of value, but I’d still press for Hronek.

There’s a deal to be made here. Unless the Jets can maybe move Ehlers and create more cap space, they’ll be taking draft picks and ELC players. Cholowski and Hronek both have 2 yrs left which will help the Jets considerably.

6OA is off the table IMO. Detroit needs to hit on top 10 picks and land some elite talent.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Byram is unlikely to be there at 6th.

I think that would be good news for the Jets. We don't really need LHD prospects right now as we have Morrissey locked in on the top pair and Samberg, Niku and Stanley all able to play left D and needing spots in the near future. If Byram is gone that means that one of Dach, Couzens or Turcotte is there and the Jets could draft their 2C of the future with 6OA.

I see that 6OA pick as being very enticing for the Jets and moving it would probably allow Detroit to keep all it's other crown jewels (Larkin, Zadina, Svech, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Veleno, Rasmussen, Cholowski, Hronek)

Stevie Y knows that having that top pair cornerstone D is the key foundation piece. He had it with Lindstrom when he played and he had it with Hedman in Tampa.

Trouba (with extension worked out) + Comrie + Jets 2019 2nd for 6OA + Bowey + Det 2019 2nd. We swap hometown Dmen and 2nd round picks. We give you a potential goalie of the future in Comrie (former 2nd round pick coming off nice back to back seasons in the AHL). The big piece coming back is 6OA where we address our 2C problem long term. We then need to figure out our own RD situation but that's likely a different trade. Detroit would be set with Trouba, Hronek long term on the Right D and their full complement of forward prospects intact.

Reactions: Pongs21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad