Injury Report: Trouba - returned from concussion 03/31

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Well said, GNP. I'm one of the posters who "wants Trouba gone" and you've pretty much summed-up my thoughts exactly. If he's willing to sign for a reasonable amount, I'm more than happy to have him. I still believe he doesn't want to play in Winnipeg at all, but to give credit where it's due, he doesn't allow this to negatively impact his play for the most part. I don't know what was going on with him early this season when he was terrible, but he sure pulled his socks up more recently.

But given who his agent is, given his apparent (to me at least) dislike for playing in a Canadian market especially Winnipeg, and given his overall bad me-first attitude, I don't think he wants to be here and therefore won't be reasonable in contract negotiations. So I'd rather we trade him for assets we can use and let someone else overpay for the prima donna. He isn't nearly as good as he or his agent think he is.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Well said, GNP. I'm one of the posters who "wants Trouba gone" and you've pretty much summed-up my thoughts exactly. If he's willing to sign for a reasonable amount, I'm more than happy to have him. I still believe he doesn't want to play in Winnipeg at all, but to give credit where it's due, he doesn't allow this to negatively impact his play for the most part. I don't know what was going on with him early this season when he was terrible, but he sure pulled his socks up more recently.

But given who his agent is, given his apparent (to me at least) dislike for playing in a Canadian market especially Winnipeg, and given his overall bad me-first attitude, I don't think he wants to be here and therefore won't be reasonable in contract negotiations. So I'd rather we trade him for assets we can use and let someone else overpay for the prima donna. He isn't nearly as good as he or his agent think he is.

You make a lot of good points ERYX, and I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with the very mysterious Trouba situation. You could be "right on." I think very much like you regarding this situation. I think maybe things have changed ???

I sort of think judging by his body language lately -"he's changed his mind" because of the success the Jet's are having, and I think he may sign for like 4 years,then after playing with a first place club,(or Stanley Cup team) then "he'll take off for greener pastures" and then sign for more money $$$. Time will tell - either way, we'll come out fine on the deal, even if he has to be traded.

I guess we'll wait and see what happens with this prima donna !!!

Last edited:

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
What is a reasonable amount to pay Trouba? If he's playing like Hedman you have to pay him like Hedman.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What is a reasonable amount to pay Trouba? If he's playing like Hedman you have to pay him like Hedman.
It's hard because Hedman is their best D. Our best D is Mo. We are eventually going to lose someone good due to cap. I personally would pay him 7mil and move on from Buff. Not that Buff is playing badly but I think Trouba is more important to our future.

Reactions: Jmiller1

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Smater to trade Myers when Trouba signs....unless Myers re-signs for 3.25m a year.

Last edited:

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016

What fan wants a #1 legit RHD gone??? Teams search for Troubas, We have one!
He is actually a great Dman. I’ve never seen Primma Donna from him? I think he is as good as he thinks he is. Me first attitude? He wanted to play Right side where he is most effective and can play to max potential which equals max payday. Don’t kid yourself and think any athlete doesn’t want the big money.... No different than any player we currently have. I’ll keep Troubs 10/10 times and can’t think of one team that would say “Jacob Trouba........... No thanks”
Hockey is a business

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
It's hard because Hedman is their best D. Our best D is Mo. We are eventually going to lose someone good due to cap. I personally would pay him 7mil and move on from Buff. Not that Buff is playing badly but I think Trouba is more important to our future.
Agree, I would sign Trouba to 7 mill, trade Buff as soon as his contract allows us to shop him to specific teams. Re up Myers, sign JoMo, I’m liking Kulikov, we are grooming #5&6 dman in our own system, the better they are, the more minutes they get

Reactions: GNP

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If I was the Jets the first priority would be to resign Lanie and then see how money I have left for everyone else. There is no point calculating how much I would pay Trouba until I know exactly how much Lanie is going to cost and if he is willing to sign a long term deal. It also determines what we do with Armia, Connor and everyone else. You build around your star player.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I wonder if Laine will look for a long term or short term deal?

If I'm Laine, and have faith I can stay healthy, and develop on his current trajectory, the best strategy to maximize money is to take a bridge.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

If I'm Laine, and have faith I can stay healthy, and develop on his current trajectory, the best strategy to maximize money is to take a bridge.

But he's also young enough to have a 2nd payday if he reaches his potential, and he seems to be happy in his setup here -- not sure he's the type to go for the money above all else, though he could surprise me.

I have no read on Trouba. A 5-year deal might be a good fit, since we'd be buying a few years of his prime, but not sure he stays even that long.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
So you'd pay Trouba 7 mill...but Mo is better....so if he asks for 7.5 mill x8 do you pay him too?
If I was the Jets the first priority would be to resign Lanie and then see how money I have left for everyone else. There is no point calculating how much I would pay Trouba until I know exactly how much Lanie is going to cost and if he is willing to sign a long term deal. It also determines what we do with Armia, Connor and everyone else. You build around your star player.
Well, if Trouba gets 7 and Mo 7.5, then Laine is going to ask for 10, Helle for 6 and you can kiss Armia, Lowry, Wheeler and possibly Perreault goodbye.

This is why it is important to start with Trouba, and pay him no more than what he is worth-- absolutely, and relative to the bar Scheifele, then Little and now Ehlers have set. Laine and the rest rest will follow.

Reactions: GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Actually Laine is young enough and has demonstrated enough early in his career to be in line for 2 big long term contracts, so no need to go under paid for 2 years on a bridge. Lets say he signs a 7-8 year deal he is sitting at the peak of his prime for a 2nd long term contract.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Good post here, and I think the only reason why some people would like to see Trouba "gone", is because he's been unreasonable in what he's asking $$$ and that will throw out the contract equilibrium we enjoy here in Winnipeg, and are able to keep all our above average players like Perrault and many others, and other teams can't do that-"they don't have the cap space". Our contracts have been well managed by Chevy -"bigtime" This is critical in today's NHL if you want to win.

When you have teams like Edmonton and they are into the glue for $ 12 mil to McDavid, and about 8 mil to Draisatle--that's $ 20 mil of your $ 75 mil cap- you then have no room for "upper middle players" Chicago is the same with Toews and Kane, sucking up $ 20 mil, for just 2 players !!!

The NHL today, is not only about aquiring good players, it's about aquiring good players at reasonable contracts, and Chevy has "shined at that". These teams that are in over their heads on 2-3 guys,and this just won't cut it -- "you need a team effort and depth" Edmonton is real good proof of my point here and-same with the Hawks.

I'm all for Trouba staying as he's a great young defenseman, if he's going to be reasonable with his contract demands, and that's likely $ 6.5 ish to maybe $ 7 mil. If he wants to create problems, or his agent does, we can then trade him.

With the way he's being playing lately, and the fact the Jet's are looking at a Stanley Cup team -- I think Trouba will look favorably at signing in around a 5 year contract with the Jet's, and see what happens after. He can then go for top buck after, he showcases his talent on a real contender.

I hope so -- as I noticed he was very dominant in his last couple games out,
and getting stronger every game, and returning to last years form. I just don't believe in keeping trouble makers that can distract a team. I hope Trouba isn't one of them-- he seems to look happy lately, and I hope he resigns at a reasonable amount. Keep peace within the family.:thumbu:

PS- I would not be for keeping him at an unreasonable amount, and causing hard feelings within the club. I'm sure Chevy who's conservative feels the same way. Hope Chevy can work it out !!!

What makes you think you know what money Trouba is asking for? They refused to talk money until Trouba decided to end his lockout. Then we learned what his bridge deal was but not a peep about what he had asked for long term - if anything - and not a peep about what Chevy might have offered long term.

Lots of speculation but that's all. AFAIK there hasn't been anything about actual numbers from any source, not even unreliable ones.

Reactions: DRC

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
What makes you think you know what money Trouba is asking for ? They refused to talk money until Trouba decided to end his lockout. Then we learned what his bridge deal was but not a peep about what he had asked for long term - if anything - and not a peep about what Chevy might have offered long term.

Lots of speculation but that's all. AFAIK there hasn't been anything about actual numbers from any source, not even unreliable ones.

Nobody really knows what Trouba asked for Mort - except Chevy and management. If you use logic and reason, and you see they gave Ehlers $ 6 to 6.5 mil per year, over 7 years -- you can assume they offered Trouba at least that much ??? I would think ?

Rumor has it on here -- he wanted in the $ 7.5 to 8 mil range ?? so we don't really know, but we'll find out over time -- likely after this season. If this was true, I can see why he wasn't resigned, as I believe Chevy wants to make a deal at around $ 6mil per year ( AAV) Chevy is fighting to keep salaries within the Cap level.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Nobody really knows what Trouba asked for Mort - except Chevy and management. If you use logic and reason, and you see they gave Ehlers $ 6 to 6.5 mil per year, over 7 years -- you can assume they offered Trouba at least that much ??? I would think ?

Rumor has it on here -- he wanted in the $ 7.5 to 8 mil range ?? so we don't really know, but we'll find out over time -- likely after this season. If this was true, I can see why he wasn't resigned, as I believe Chevy wants to make a deal at around $ 6mil per year ( AAV) Chevy is fighting to keep salaries within the Cap level.

I don't think there is any rumour here. There has never been anything but speculation. Your assumptions relative to Ehlers may or may not be logical but they are speculative also.

You really have no basis to pass judgement on his demands when we have no knowledge that he has even made any demands. The last word we have had was that they refused to even discuss contract prior to his holdout. It was trade or nothing. For all we know he refused to hear, or discuss anything but a bridge deal when he finally did talk contract.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't think there is any rumour here. There has never been anything but speculation. Your assumptions relative to Ehlers may or may not be logical but they are speculative also.

You really have no basis to pass judgement on his demands when we have no knowledge that he has even made any demands. The last word we have had was that they refused to even discuss contract prior to his holdout. It was trade or nothing. For all we know he refused to hear, or discuss anything but a bridge deal when he finally did talk contract.

I'm certainly not "passing judgement" here, because as I said--"we really don't know". I am just speculating on what happened with Trouba by "gut feel" and what happened with other players the Jet's wanted to keep.

Bottom line -- if they offered Little and Ehlers long term deals -- it would be very reasonable to think that Trouba was offered one as well. We will see.

I just have a feeling he will sign for 4-5 years ( not more ) at around $ 6.5 AAV -- and after that, he'll be gone, or traded. Nobody knows "for sure" :dunno:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I'm certainly not "passing judgement" here, because as I said--"we really don't know". I am just speculating on what happened with Trouba by "gut feel" and what happened with other players the Jet's wanted to keep.

Bottom line -- if they offered Little and Ehlers long term deals -- it would be very reasonable to think that Trouba was offered one as well. We will see.

I just have a feeling he will sign for 4-5 years ( not more ) at around $ 6.5 AAV -- and after that, he'll be gone, or traded. Nobody knows "for sure" :dunno:

Lawless was emphatic that Overhardt declined to accept long term deal offers from the Jets. The Jets never presented any. So it's more likely than not that Overhardt also never presented the Jets with any demands. I don't believe they ever discussed deals with term.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You used the words "he's been unreasonable in what he's asking $$$". Sounded judgemental to me.

I'm beginning to think that 4-5 year term might be a possibility. That would tend to keep the AAV down compared to the longer term.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Lawless was emphatic that Overhardt declined to accept long term deal offers from the Jets. The Jets never presented any. So it's more likely than not that Overhardt also never presented the Jets with any demands. I don't believe they ever discussed deals with term.

You certainly seem up to speed on all Jet's activities Aavco , and I'll take it that your right. If this is correct, I don't think Overhardt is acting on the best interest of his client, if that is the case. What would happen if Trouba suffered a " career ending" injury, and this can very well happen -- "then what" ??-- Overhardt will be nowhere to be found.

The above is why I think Trouba will sign for at least 3-4 years, gain financial independence-- then move on later. It makes a lot of sense.

ALSO - You probably do know -- these "agents" like Overhardt --do they get a "percentage" of the contract negotiated for their client ??? I believe they do, and have heard it's around 5 % of the contract amount-- "but that seems high"--do you know the answer to this ??Let me know, what they get ?--I'm very interested.

If he does ( Overhardt) - I wonder in who's "interest" he's acting for ??? I think his own--rather than Jacob Troubas ? If he was acting in Trouba's interest, I would think he would have looked at longer term deals at 3-5 years, rather than a lower dollar bridge deal ??-- right ??

Sort of reminds me of Alan Eagleson representing Bobby Orr -- he totally ripped him off, and Orr got next to nothing.

I think players put a little to much trust in these agents, and these agents should be relegated "only" to form and content of the contract, based on the player's wishes. If I was a player, I might have a separate lawyer to review what my agent negotiated, and only then would I sign the contract. Really, you cannot "blindly trust "anybody

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

You certainly seem up to speed on all Jet's activities Aavco , and I'll take it that your right. If this is correct, I don't think Overhardt is acting on the best interest of his client, if that is the case. What would happen if Trouba suffered a " career ending" injury, and this can very well happen -- "then what" ??-- Overhardt will be nowhere to be found.

The above is why I think Trouba will sign for at least 3-4 years, gain financial independence-- then move on later. It makes a lot of sense.

ALSO - You probably do know -- these "agents" like Overhardt --do they get a "percentage" of the contract negotiated for their client ??? I believe they do, and have heard it's around 5 % of the contract amount-- "but that seems high"--do you know the answer to this ??Let me know, what they get ?--I'm very interested.

If he does ( Overhardt) - I wonder in who's "interest" he's acting for ??? I think his own--rather than Jacob Troubas ? If he was acting in Trouba's interest, I would think he would have looked at longer term deals at 3-5 years, rather than a lower dollar bridge deal ??-- right ??

Sort of reminds me of Alan Eagleson representing Bobby Orr -- he totally ripped him off, and Orr got next to nothing.

I think players put a little to much trust in these agents, and these agents should be relegated "only" to form and content of the contract, based on the player's wishes. If I was a player, I might have a separate lawyer to review what my agent negotiated, and only then would I sign the contract. Really, you cannot "blindly trust "anybody

- A 3 year deal or 4 year would have been considered a bridge deal (4 yrs would have been stupid)
- all of the Overhardt strategy was discussed in depth at the time
- publicly it was all about Trouba's useage and not wanting to play left side
- agent commission is assumed to be 3-4% if you believe the interweb

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
What fan wants a #1 legit RHD gone??? Teams search for Troubas, We have one!

The fan that doesn't want his team handcuffed/hobbled by a bad overly expensive contract that means we can't afford to sign other important pieces.

is actually a great Dman. I’ve never seen Primma Donna from him? I think he is as good as he thinks he is. Me first attitude?

Yup, I call sitting out and abandoning his teammates for the first chunk of last season very much a "me first" and primma donna attitude. I just find it incredible and amazing that people on this forum bash Buff nonstop for his supposedly "selfish" attitude yet give Trouba a free pass for his refusal to play. Buff has never staged a sit-out. Even back when under Noel and Maurice's early days, he played wing when he wanted to play D. That's a bigger difference than playing left vs. right, but he did it without complaint and didn't walk out on his teammates.

kid yourself and think any athlete doesn’t want the big money.... No different than any player we currently have. I’ll keep Troubs 10/10 times and can’t think of one team that would say “Jacob Trouba........... No thanks”
Hockey is a business

First of all, that's a straw man argument to say that I said "Trouba ... no thanks", what I said was "Trouba for an overpayment ... no thanks".

And secondly, I personally see Trouba as TOTALLY different than other players we currently have. None of our recent signings in Scheifele, Little, or Ehlers demanded a trade and sat out. To the contrary, all three took home town discounts.

That said it's probably moot, because as Mortimer Snerd pointed out, there's actually been little indication that it was over $ amount that Trouba sat out. He just wants out of Winnipeg. So if that's the case he won't sign here even if we offered him $14 million per season. He's a good player, so I'd like to have him, but if we can trade him for equal value assets who have better team-first attitude, I'll take that 10/10 over the real selfish player on our roster.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The American conspiracy. Chef, Perrault, Little, Ehlers sign cheaply. Buff (has already signed) Trouba and Wheeler we assume are all demanding the money.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The American conspiracy. Chef, Perrault, Little, Ehlers sign cheaply. Buff (has already signed) Trouba and Wheeler we assume are all demanding the money.

I don't assume that about Wheeler. He hasn't done anything to suggest what his intentions are, really.

I don't know about Trouba, but he's the only one of those named who held out and refused to play while demanding a trade. That doesn't suggest to me that he will sign for cheap like the others you listed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad