Trouba Requests Trade - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
LA has cap trouble they need a couple million in relief. . Sign Trouba for 5.5 for 5 years trade him and a GOOD prospect for Doughty!

Instantly we get better and LA gets the Cap relief and Youth they need.

Even better we can just get a time machine and trade Trouba for a 19 year old Bobby Orr because Orr was allot better than Doughty.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I never said the Jets would do it but obviously if they did, then they would trade him before the contract ends. What difference do the UFA years make if he's with another team?

BTW I suspect Trouba won't do that deal either because despite what he says, I think it really is all about the money. A mediated settlement would have parts both sides don't like. That's the point.

Maybe...

But why aren't they looking at offers, then?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lots of time for deal before Trouba loses season, agent says

Overhardt said Monday that if nothing happens before Dec. 1, there’s "obviously a plan in place."

"We have to contemplate everything, but it’s not something we are going to discuss as it involves our client and it’s a private matter," he said, adding he'd spoken with Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff earlier in the day. "Any of the conversations we have with (the Jets) are very amicable and those are private, too."

Overhardt said Trouba, who is training privately at home in Michigan, won't be saying anything publicly until after the situation is resolved.

"He’s just trying to be a pro and he wants to stay out of the media," Overhardt said.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...trouba-loses-season-agent-says-397485031.html

Winnipeg media constantly miss the opportunity to put Trouba / Overhardt on the hot-seat. A simple question: "If the Jets offered Trouba a position on RD in the top-4, and/or traded one of their RHD would Trouba reconsider his trade request?" (I'm convinced the answer is "no", so why not get the goofball on record?)

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Winnipeg media constantly miss the opportunity to put Trouba / Overhardt on the hot-seat. A simple question: "If the Jets offered Trouba a position on RD in the top-4, and/or traded one of their RHD would Trouba reconsider his trade request?" (I'm convinced the answer is "no", so why not get the goofball on record?)

They tried back when he was on Hustler & Lawless, and he danced around the question.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder how many other GMs would also go scorched earth if this was happening to them, or at the very least in favor of what Chevy is doing RE: waiting it out. This goes beyond Winnipeg and affects every team IMO.

Not many IMO. First off you need the GM and owner to agree on the plan, see Columbus as exhibit A where the owners didn't give JD what he needed to take Johansen to the woodshed. Then there are things like is the team in a win now mode, is the GM safe in his job or is the owner breathing down his neck. The list goes on for sure but Winnipeg is in a great position.

All points below IMO:

Owner has GM's back and my guess is Chevy has the green light to treat the witness as hostile and do what he needs to do to get the desired outcome.

GM couldn't be more safe.

We are not in a win now mode.

We have all sorts of cap space to match an offer sheet.

We are a small market with a D&D org and need RFA's as a cornerstone.

Trouba is a key asset we need long term (young top pairing D man)

Jacob is popular in the dressing room and if their side blinks first we can bring Trouba back which I still believe is TNSE's ideal outcome.

I believe both the means and the will would be there for Chevy and TNSE to go scorched earth and you can bet other orgs would love it if they did (easier for them to step up and feel the pain :laugh:).

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

He was specifically asked this exact question.

Overhardt responded he didn't deal in conjecture & had no comment on hypothetical situations like this.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'd say he pretty much did with his actions.

He got different type of offers but never replied to any of them.
Read a lot at the time that Sweeney realized day before the draft he had no intrest re-signing with them.

Was there also not a threat of an offer sheet from one of the Alberta teams? If true it might have been very tough for Boston to match the offer in 7 days since they were up against the cap.

Nice Chevy had the cap flexibility to call Boston's offer sheet bluff on Trouba.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Like flipping over to the Ranger trade board every once in a while as they are one of those teams very desperate for a top-pairing RHD & reputed to be in the running for Trouba.

Problem with NYR is they have no real good young LHD players & no "sure thing" LHD prospects. As they have an abundance of forwards, however, some have been prepared to trade JT. Miller & their best LHD prospect/young player Skjei for Trouba. I even got a couple of them to agree to that plus their second best LHD prospect (Graves).

Given Miller & Skjei + Graves for Trouba, I would definitely take it. While neither Skjei or Graves are a sure thing, both have top 4 potential. We are desperate for depth (and a player which Skjei currently is) at that position -- this would help immensely.

Miller is real promising top 6 C/winger. Not sure if he could cut it as a 3C but quite sure he's at least that good.

Where we really win in this deal is we get down to a 3D-7F arrangement for next summer's expansion draft. That's huge for controlling who we keep or lose in that draft.

No responses from the peanut gallery??

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Was there also not a threat of an offer sheet from one of the Alberta teams? If true it might have been very tough for Boston to match the offer in 7 days since they were up against the cap.

Nice Chevy had the cap flexibility to call Boston's offer sheet bluff on Trouba.

Hockey GM's know the rules of an offer sheet. For one to have ever been considered they'd have analyzed this matter in detail. The fact that Boston didn't possess the draft picks necessary to have compensated is what escalated this into the absurd number of first round picks that ended up being reported.

It's quite possible this "leak" was yet another ill thought out attempt by Overhardt.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hockey GM's know the rules of an offer sheet. For one to have ever been considered they'd have analyzed this matter in detail. The fact that Boston didn't possess the draft picks necessary to have made the trade is what escalated this into the absurd number of first round picks that ended up being reported.

It's quite possible this "leak" was yet another ill thought out attempt by Overhardt.

Could be for sure but Jimmy Murphy (Boston reporter) was on the round table yesterday and mentioned Boston did try to leverage the threat of an offer sheet on Trouba to push Chevy into a trade but Chevy didn't bite. Not saying the threat was credible but just that Murphy said it was in play.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Not many IMO. First off you need the GM and owner to agree on the plan, see Columbus as exhibit A where the owners didn't give JD what he needed to take Johansen to the woodshed. Then there are things like is the team in a win now mode, is the GM safe in his job or is the owner breathing down his neck. The list goes on for sure but Winnipeg is in a great position.

All points below IMO:

Owner has GM's back and my guess is Chevy has the green light to treat the witness as hostile and do what he needs to do to get the desired outcome.

GM couldn't be more safe.

We are not in a win now mode.

We have all sorts of cap space to match an offer sheet.

We are a small market with a D&D org and need RFA's as a cornerstone.

Trouba is a key asset we need long term (young top pairing D man)

Jacob is popular in the dressing room and if their side blinks first we can bring Trouba back which I still believe is TNSE's ideal outcome.

I believe both the means and the will would be there for Chevy and TNSE to go scorched earth and you can bet other orgs would love it if they did (easier for them to step up and feel the pain :laugh:).

+1

Good post! I concur.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Boston traded Lucic away few hours later so they had the cap space.
Sweeney wanted to sign Hamilton, that offer sheet threat really shouldn't have affected Sweeney that much.

I dont know if Boston was thinking offer sheeting Trouba, has anyone of Bob, Friedman or someone mentioned it?

Could be for sure but Jimmy Murphy (Boston reporter) was on the round table yesterday and mentioned Boston did try to leverage the threat of an offer sheet on Trouba to push Chevy into a trade but Chevy didn't bite. Not saying the threat was credible but just that Murphy said it was in play.

I wouldn't really take his comments as facts.

Last edited:

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Young NHL depth players like Jacob Trouba asking for more -- right now

“I think we all know that we wouldn’t be in this situation right now if it wasn’t a young man’s game,†said Kurt Overhardt, who represents Trouba. “Part of it is systemic. But the other part is the skill level of players coming out of junior and college and Europe is pretty incredible.

“We’ve got 18-, 19- and 20-year-olds playing huge roles on teams. And at 22-years-old, a player doesn’t want to stay around waiting if he thinks his ability is greater than the opportunity he’s been given, because there’s really great players in front of him.â€

“There’s a lot of pressure on these teams to play their young players,†said Overhardt. “If you look at the league average in age today to where it was 10 years ago, you’re seeing a dramatic decrease. I just think every team handles the age of their players and their skillset and the pieces they have differently. And they’re entitled to.â€

Read the rest here in context:

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2016/10/17/22675456.html?cid=rsssportsslam%21+hockey

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Headline of that article calls Trouba a "depth player". What the actual ****.

Anyway. I agree with everything Overhardt says in that article.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
“I think we all know that we wouldn’t be in this situation right now if it wasn’t a young man’s game,†said Kurt Overhardt, who represents Trouba. “Part of it is systemic. But the other part is the skill level of players coming out of junior and college and Europe is pretty incredible.

IE: **** the CBA. Death to small market teams. Don't set a precedent, Chevy - stand your ground.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
IE: **** the CBA. Death to small market teams. Don't set a precedent, Chevy - stand your ground.

The CBA mandates that a Norris-ConnSmythe-winning Ekblad and a Richard-Ross winning McDavid would (combined) make 50k more than Dion Phaneuf makes this year. How can you not hate the CBA as a player under 27?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

The current CBA is slanted heavily to owners and does a lot to help small market teams. A hard salary cap at 50% revenue and virtually full control over a players most productive years, 3 year peanut contracts for even the best players entering the league. Even if a precedent is set it will be so costly to the player few others will follow and if they did the owners will just push the screw down harder during the next lockout.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The CBA mandates that a Norris-ConnSmythe-winning Ekblad and a Richard-Ross winning McDavid would (combined) make 50k more than Dion Phaneuf makes this year. How can you not hate the CBA as a player under 27?

Ekblad has not won the Norris and may not come close to it. He got a pretty lucrative contract as a young player (Would have thev5th highest cap hit of all defenders if it came into effect this year). Is that not where Ekblad is likely seen to fall, top 5 -10 defenseman. I have no idea how he got screwed here. If McDavid continues on his trajectory he'll get Crosby type money just as Crosby, Ovie and other elite young players got coming off their entry level deal. If your elite you will be getting paid no matter your age.

Trouba is not elite so I don't know what the issue is here with regards to cash, considering he isn't willing to take offers. He at 22 plus minutes a game is also not a depth defender (35th on average ice time among all rear guards over the last couple of years) is top pairing numbers. I see a bunch spin by his agent to create some sympathy for his client.

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Because you're making hundreds of times what you would make if you weren't employed by the NHL? You're "only" making a million bucks a year ($900 K plus bonuses) which is what the average schmuck requires twenty years to make? Because your ELC only lasts three years and guys are now getting $4-6 million a year as RFAs and a guy like McDavid is likely to be the highest paid player in the NHL as an RFA coming off his ELC? Acknowledge the fact that you'll be human too, just like Phaneuf at some point in your career?

I dunno, suck it up just being a millionaire for three years. Insure the crap out of yourself and enjoy the ride.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015

Exactly YWGinYYZ :nod:

This article first came out yesterday originally from the National Post

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/from-jacob-trouba-to-hampus-lindholm-young-nhl-blue-chippers-want-more-and-they-want-it-now

Then Canoe Toronto picked it up and so far that's all the coverage in Canada that I know of so I have to ask why does it come across that this article wasn't picked up elsewhere?

Trouba and Overhardt are taking on the CBA this could be deeper and have more implications then what we have thought so far.

Dam....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad