Proposal: Trouba Mega Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
How did the Jets and Leafs have a deal in place? By all accounts Kurt Overhardt isn't even talking to Canadian teams so that's not true. More or less Overhardt was talking to Eastern Conference American teams like the Rangers, Bruins, Red Wings etc Dreger already stated that Canadian teams aren't a fit for Trouba and McKenzie said the exact same thing pretty much.

This kid just looks like a sniveling pissant right now....lol.

Stream*

Dec 13, 2015
But he doesn't want to be in Winnipeg and signing a 6 year deal does nothing to help him get out. Jets fans have said it themselves, Chevy moves at his own pace. It took him 3 years to trade Evander Kane. You think Trouba is not aware of that?

There are people talking about getting Trouba what he wants is setting a bad precedent for future RFA's. Don't you think Chevy has already set the bad precedent with how long it took him to trade Kane and that is now coming back to bite him?

So trading an injured player for the huge hall for players (one of the most lopsided trades in recent years) that helped them get to the playoffs was something that "came back to bite him?"

Randal61

Jan 12, 2014
I think the Trouba and Turris situations are pretty remote. Not very often does a player publicly say he wants out or holds out for an RFA contract. The higher end RFA's like Trouba are the ones that are getting screwed in the CBA because they have limited rights. There only option is to do what he is doing now. If this becomes more common with elite RFA's, then the CBA should be changed to make it more fair for elite RFA's.

Fair for RFA's, How about time and money spent developing players.
Would the players assoc agree to non guaranteed contracts, because that's what will
be required if you go down that road.

Randal61

Jan 12, 2014
Let me break it down for you:

Trouba no longer wants to play for the Jets so in May he requested a trade.

In September he has not been traded yet so his agent goes public with the request.

The only leverage (very small leverage) is to not sign a contract.

The Jets GM had a similar situation a few years ago with a player under contract (Evander Kane) and his trade request took 3 years to be fulfilled, after he became a problem in the locker room.

Trouba is well aware that it took Chevy three years to trade Kane despite him repeatedly asking to me moved. Why would he ever sign a contract that locks him in to Winnipeg for 6 years? If he wants out that badly he is going to do whatever he needs to do to get traded. Signing a 6 year deal to 'rot' in Winnipeg while Chevy takes his sweet ole time finding a trading partner is not an option.

Thus, if he signs an offer sheet for a 1 or 2 year deal, Chevy can either let him walk for whatever the compensation is, or match the offer. I believe once you sign an offer sheet and that offer is matched you can not be traded for a year, but that may be a better option than waiting on Grandpa Chevy to get out of his rocker, shuffle over to the phone and work out a deal 4 years from now....

Just not sure that's precedent setting.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
So trading an injured player for the huge hall for players (one of the most lopsided trades in recent years) that helped them get to the playoffs was something that "came back to bite him?"

I think the fact that it took him 3 years to finally trade Kane is definitely playing into Trouba's decision to not sign with Winnipeg. If that trade request was handled in a more timely manner, it is quite possible Trouba signs his 6 year 5.5 mil contract and is currently playing for the Jets while waiting for Chevy to pull the trigger on a trade.

Just like people are arguing that giving Trouba what he wants will set a bad precedent for the future, Chevy has already set a bad precedent in how he 'takes care' of his players.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Just not sure that's precedent setting.

It is a one-off situation right? Then what Trouba is doing is not precedent setting either because it is pretty much a one off situation as well considering how often a situation like this actually happens.

You can;t have it both ways where Chevy taking forever to trade Kane is not precedent setting and Trouba refusing to play in Winnipeg is...

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
It's real nice of opposing fans who want their team to "help out" the jets by aquiring trouba for less than full value, while he still has any value left

I mean it really was a huge mistake for yzerman not to trade drouin for less value than he's worth. Drouin did say he would never play for the lightning again after all...

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Hope the Jets stand pat. Being a Pro hockey player has it's pros and cons just like any other profession and just like any other profession there are rules. Trouba knew what the deal was when he took the path of a pro hockey player.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
This kid just looks like a sniveling pissant right now....lol.

Well maybe, Maybe he needs to be closer to home due to family reasons. Don't know yet i saw on the Jets board that with his Dads lawsuit that his Dad isn't aloud in Canada so if that in fact is the case it could stand the reason why he wants to play close to home near Detroit and why he wouldn't want to play in Canada so his family can watch him.

Randal61

Jan 12, 2014
It is a one-off situation right? Then what Trouba is doing is not precedent setting either because it is pretty much a one off situation as well considering how often a situation like this actually happens.

You can;t have it both ways where Chevy taking forever to trade Kane is not precedent setting and Trouba refusing to play in Winnipeg is...

This is a dumb argument.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Well maybe, Maybe he needs to be closer to home due to family reasons. Don't know yet i saw on the Jets board that with his Dads lawsuit that his Dad isn't aloud in Canada so if that in fact is the case it could stand the reason why he wants to play close to home near Detroit and why he wouldn't want to play in Canada so his family can watch him.

So the Jets and the league should bend to his will cause his father made a poor decision? I understand that family issues come up in life but when you sign up to be a pro hockey player you do so understanding the pros and cons of the profession. If Trouba believes the cons are outweighing the pros then maybe he just retire and consider a career change.

If Jets just cave and trade him in a hurry then many more RFA's who aren't exactly happy with where they are will try and force a trade once their elc is up.

I personally believe that with the league getting younger and players making greater impacts at younger ages, that the RFA/UFA rules need a little tweaking but until the next CBA comes up these players need to be professionals.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
But I keep hearing that it's okay to sit Trouba all year and not get a return because this is a development year and they're not planning on doing anything anyway?

Still trying to stir the pot eh. Trouba will not be dealt if the deal is not in the interest of the jets. Just because you are bitter that the jets fans and it appears management are not willing to trade Trouba to the Rangers does not mean you need to keep repeating yourself.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't get why people are upset with Trouba wanting out of Winnipeg.

Chevy pretty recently traded for a top 4 RD in Myers. Deal Bogosian for a LD or whatever and none of this would happen. Buff is taking a ton of PP time in Winnipeg, and rightfully so. He is at least top 5 in the world, or in that neighborhood. The moves you make have consequences.

Jacob Trouba is a young promising hockey player, can anyone fault him that he wants to play for a team that will use him more when Winnipeg clearly does not have that intent?

I don't quite like that a team can really screw a player in this league and there is no consequences for it. You only have one career, you only get one shot. This is their dream, their life. Why should these kids accept to get all that ruined just because someone else feels like it? Players should get better at taking notice how some teams threat their players, and "vote with their feats" so to speak...

Stream*

Dec 13, 2015
Agreed time to get back on topic, but on a side note, I was reading an article today that the most popular costume for halloween this year in NYC was a troll.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
So the Jets and the league should bend to his will cause his father made a poor decision? I understand that family issues come up in life but when you sign up to be a pro hockey player you do so understanding the pros and cons of the profession. If Trouba believes the cons are outweighing the pros then maybe he just retire and consider a career change.

If Jets just cave and trade him in a hurry then many more RFA's who aren't exactly happy with where they are will try and force a trade once their elc is up.

I personally believe that with the league getting younger and players making greater impacts at younger ages, that the RFA/UFA rules need a little tweaking but until the next CBA comes up these players need to be professionals.

Wanting to move from somewhere someone don't like doesn't mean they aren't a professional. A professional isn't a robot or slave doing whatever the employer wants. If a player is unhappy somewhere they tend to ask for trades and sometimes they will go nuclear if they really really aren't happy and the team doesn't address it by traded them that doesn't mean they aren't professional it makes them human a human has feelings and when unhappy they do all kinds of things.

Some fans of teams that have players wanting to be traded get upset and say screw you and would want their team to make it miserable on someone who is already unhappy :shakehead whatever happened to not wanting someone who doesn't want to be here? Just trade a unhappy player for a decent return and be done with it. No way do I believe Jets haven't got a decent trade offer.

I get it Jets fans don't want their team to cave into the demands of a player. If Jets don't cave into Trouba demands it won't mean that Jets will never ever have to deal with a situation like this.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005

Chevy pretty recently traded for a top 4 RD in Myers. Deal Bogosian for a LD or whatever and none of this would happen. Buff is taking a ton of PP time in Winnipeg, and rightfully so. He is at least top 5 in the world, or in that neighborhood. The moves you make have consequences.

Jacob Trouba is a young promising hockey player, can anyone fault him that he wants to play for a team that will use him more when Winnipeg clearly does not have that intent?

I don't quite like that a team can really screw a player in this league and there is no consequences for it. You only have one career, you only get one shot. This is their dream, their life. Why should these kids accept to get all that ruined just because someone else feels like it? Players should get better at taking notice how some teams threat their players, and "vote with their feats" so to speak...

I genuinely wish someone would ruin my life by offering me 5 million dollars a year to play hockey.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Whats the deal with his father?

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site

Me either. NHL careers are short and chances for success(Stanley Cup) are low.
Get yourself in the best position possible to win a championship kid.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Ye i kind of agree on this but still, he is a RFA, they dont have much to say

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I genuinely wish someone would ruin my life by offering me 5 million dollars a year to play hockey.

Such a ridiculous argument. I'm sure there are things you don't like about your job or things you think are unfair. Yet somewhere in the world is someone who would gladly take the bad part of your job because you make more than them.

That doesn't dismiss your complaints.

Oh, and likely you don't have the skills or talent to do something that would make someone want to offer you $5m, so there's that.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I think the fact that it took him 3 years to finally trade Kane is definitely playing into Trouba's decision to not sign with Winnipeg. If that trade request was handled in a more timely manner, it is quite possible Trouba signs his 6 year 5.5 mil contract and is currently playing for the Jets while waiting for Chevy to pull the trigger on a trade.

Just like people are arguing that giving Trouba what he wants will set a bad precedent for the future, Chevy has already set a bad precedent in how he 'takes care' of his players.

So, the two players in the history of the team that wanted to be moved give the team a bad reputation to other players. But the 50 or 60 others that have played with the team and been completely happy hold no sway over other players? Did you put any thought into your argument at all. It works both ways and the amount of happy players far outweigh the malcontents.

What a silly argument.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

What?

This is garbage. Jacob Trouba is one player. The Jets are an organization of all of the players, coaches, management and staff. More importantly they exist for the fans. The hopes and dreams of hockey players (professional athletes) is to play in the NHL (pros). When you start extending this to his dreams to play it the States then you are going too far. The Jets legally own the rights to his services he signed the ELC. HE is what they need to continue to grow towards contending in the playoffs. He has the right to ask for a trade, but his actions have made it more difficult to trade him so if this is taking long and he's losing money too bad. That's on him. He could be playing right now and would be a lot closer to his stated goal.

Buffalo was the only team in a position to be able to pay the Jets what they needed for Kane. The LHD the Jets needed was obviously not on the table, Chevy couldn't pass up the package he got. Either way the RHD excuse has pretty much been debunked now that we are learning more. Trouba can play top line LHD and the assertion that it hurts his value is weak. Don't you think in his next contract negotiation the LHD experience will be used as a reason to pay him more?

You make it sound like the 1940 - 50's where the owners were actually screwing the players. Salaries are so out of touch with reality now that saying he's being taken advantage of is insulting to people who make an average salary.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Jets and Chevy are in a good place. Trouba will return at least 2 quality players that will help this team now. Love the Rangers offer (possible offer) and many other proposals I've read. Lots of suitors and lots of offers, no need to rush. See what the Jets need over the next few weeks and who meets those needs best.
It's still possible Trouba resigns and says it was always his first choice. What a score for us as we would get a top 3 dman (or better) for basically nothing. Improves the team immediately.
My favorite is he sits out and we get a better higher pick cause we miss him. Come draft day we get a high 1st plus plus plus in the bidding war. Is he a more desirable commodity than Juolervi (5th). I think we all would rather have a proven top 3 NHL ready Dman than most of the prospects available in any draft year.
Either way weaker today and stronger tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad