Proposal: Trouba Mega Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Dreger did not report that the Jets and Leafs had a deal in place.

How did the Jets and Leafs have a deal in place? By all accounts Kurt Overhardt isn't even talking to Canadian teams so that's not true. More or less Overhardt was talking to Eastern Conference American teams like the Rangers, Bruins, Red Wings etc Dreger already stated that Canadian teams aren't a fit for Trouba and McKenzie said the exact same thing pretty much.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
And many people will tell you that bending to the will of an RFA who wants to be treated differently then the CBA allows is also bad for the franchise. Likely worse. As a draft and develop team, resigning RFA's is a key part of any potential success we can have. If caving to Trouba leads to other RFA's doing this then that hurts the Jets and most other teams in the league more. Does Buffalo want Eichel walking, should Auston Matthews be allowed to walk to PHX at the end of his ELC? In many ways this is about more than just Trouba and the Jets.

what happened in the decade following turris doing the exact same thing. nothing. Winnipeg will be just fine.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
It seems like finding a similar-aged LHD in return - and a team willing to give that up - is going to prove difficult.

I think this could have legs. The sticky part will be determining the plus that would have to be added.

Only problem with sending Trouba to the Flyers is, the Flyers are already over the cap and have to figure out how to get back under it once MDZ and a couple other players return from LTIR. Adding another 5 mil on top of that is going to be pretty difficult.

I suggested this on the Minny expansion thread a few days back and did not get fried, so here it is:
NJ Devils offer their 2017 #1 pick and a Forward who is expansion exempt to Minny for Brodin/Scandella
Jersey trades the Minny D man to Winnipeg for rights to Trouba

Reasoning-
  • Outside of conference, so no issues with that
  • Minny has no 2nd round pick in '16
  • The first round pick will probably be 10-15 (guessing), maybe Jersey lottery protects spots 1-3?
  • Wild will probably lose a good defender to expansion, so this turns their lose into a gain
  • Wild are up against the cap, gives them room (Scan-$4M x 4, Brodin- $4.1 x 5)
  • Jersey replaces Larrsson with Trouba as their #1 RD (what he is looking for)
  • We have the cap to pay Trouba
  • Trouba's GF can find med school in the NY metro area (this one was a bit of a joke):sarcasm:

What else needs to be added? Yes trades like this never hapen with 3 teams, I know. Also, Wild D man is not expansion exempt but to get that your looking at Ghost or Parayko and I don't think those teams are giving them up

Edit-Minny fans did say they still have to expose a good d man, forgot to mention so I see their point

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Same here, Hopefully something gets done in the next 2-3 weeks or so, Both for Trouba and the Jets sake.

I doubt it’s over any time soon. As I said before, I think what happens is that he signs and the trade request stays in effect, and he’s eventually moved after this season or next season. The descendants of this thread could easily be going strong for a couple more years.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
And many people will tell you that bending to the will of an RFA who wants to be treated differently then the CBA allows is also bad for the franchise. Likely worse. As a draft and develop team, resigning RFA's is a key part of any potential success we can have. If caving to Trouba leads to other RFA's doing this then that hurts the Jets and most other teams in the league more. Does Buffalo want Eichel walking, should Auston Matthews be allowed to walk to PHX at the end of his ELC? In many ways this is about more than just Trouba and the Jets.

Every once in a while there is a unique situation where a player wants out of the city he is playing in. Most of the time we don't even hear about it. Sometimes the become public, and even fewer times they turn ugly. Most players are happy to play in the city they are drafted in until they have earned the right to choose where they want to play. Just because one situation has turned toxic for whatever reason, does not mean that the flood gates of RFA's forcing there way out is going to open.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
So Trouba is a top pair D but you could only use his depth and he was easily replaced by Morrissey?

No that's not what he was saying.
But if we didn't have Morrisey to play top line LHD with Buff and had to push Mark Stuart into our top 4 then there would be more pressure on the Jets.

Morrisey has played better than we could have hoped for and lessens the blow. If Trouba had just signed with us this summer the Jets would have had a tough choice... play Morrisey in the 3rd pair or send him back to the AHL for top line minutes.

Going into the season we had no idea of how he would play as a rookie in the NHL.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
5 Mil is likely not close to what is required. Due to the penalty of signing late, the cost is already about +10% of AAV, and by Dec 1 will be +20%.

If he wants 5.5M and it happens Dec 1, that is a cap hit of 7.8M.
The penalty offsets the games played so there is no cap advantage to singing a player late. It just makes it like you had that 5.5 million cap hit on the books since the beginning of the season. For a team that’s been leaning on LTIR and hasn’t gained cap space as the season moved along this could still be an issue.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
And why would Trouba sign an offer sheet? If Cheveldayoff matches then Trouba is stuck there for awhile. No way do i see Trouba signing any offer sheet that commits him to playing in Winnipeg for the long haul.

Just had a novel thought, I know Trouba wants out and will not sign with Winnipeg. What about an offer sheet of 1 year 4.5-5 million? This allows him to get back on the ice and Chevy can work on trading him. If he is not traded, it sets his QO next year and gets him to arbitration i beleive. Once he is traded, he is free to start negotiating a new contract on the first of the year...

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Just had a novel thought, I know Trouba wants out and will not sign with Winnipeg. What about an offer sheet of 1 year 4.5-5 million? This allows him to get back on the ice and Chevy can work on trading him. If he is not traded, it sets his QO next year and gets him to arbitration i beleive. Once he is traded, he is free to start negotiating a new contract on the first of the year...

This was pretty much my thinking as well, Trouba agrees to a 1 year deal around 4.5-5 mil per with the understanding that he will be traded when Chevy can get the most value for him. Though i'm not sure if Chevy would agree to a bridge deal or maybe Trouba's camp doesn't want to do it. I just don't know but i was pretty much thinking the exact same thing and this way Trouba gets back on the ice even if it's with Winnipeg for the season and maybe try and work out a trade deal out around the TDL or something like that.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
This was pretty much my thinking as well, Trouba agrees to a 1 year deal around 4.5-5 mil per with the understanding that he will be traded when Chevy can get the most value for him. Though i'm not sure if Chevy would agree to a bridge deal or maybe Trouba's camp doesn't want to do it. I just don't know but i was pretty much thinking the exact same thing and this way Trouba gets back on the ice even if it's with Winnipeg for the season and maybe try and work out a trade deal out around the TDL or something like that.

No way Chevy would agree to signing a bridge deal to have to go through this again if he gives Trouba the Evander Kane treatment.

If Trouba signs an offer sheet Chevy really doesn't have a choice then does he? Or may be the threat of a a 1 or 2 year offer sheet is enough to get him moving on making a trade.

Just trying to think of some other options....

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Looking at it from a NYR fan perspective would be "here take my crap for your much better player", that's not at all what I am saying.

I am fully on-board with Chevy getting a reasonable deal which is probably like ~80-85c on the $ at this point.

What I am saying is, strong arming the kid (assuming he is not traded before Dec and has to sit out the season) will have repercussions. Really think about what Trouba is telling people by doing that, he is willing to sacrifice TONS of money just not to play in WPG and have his rights belong to them. If Chevy goes down the road of forcing him to sit out - to me, that doesn't signal a "strong Organization I want to play for" if I was a collegiate FA for example.

You want to have winning culture and a culture players WANT to be a part of imo.

Accommodating the kid while getting quality value should be the goal. Not just maximizing value.

Suddenly this all makes sense. You actually view Trouba as the victim here. :laugh:

Tough life he has; getting all ****ed over by the CBA and what not. Thank goodness he's sticking to his guns against the big, bad Jets management.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
You are aware that the Jets are 1 win out of a playoff spot, right? You don't seem aware of the standings very much in your posts

But I keep hearing that it's okay to sit Trouba all year and not get a return because this is a development year and they're not planning on doing anything anyway?

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
Only if it's a guaranteed sign and trade, No way is Trouba going to commit to 5 years with Winnipeg. Just don't see it.

If Winnipeg is the problem in Trouba's case and he doesn't want to commit to 5 years just cuz it is Winnipeg/Canada if I was Chevy I would go for two options
1) If he wants to play in US and someone wants him we get a deal that is fair (and we decide what's fair) or favors the Jets.
2) Trouba may as well to commit not playing in NHL for 5 years
Most of Jets fans I know have similar to mine point of view and I hope our management will show some stubbornness if indeed Winnipeg is the problem. The organization above ANY player

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
When it comes to it this may be the best bet... but for now it's all still just a standoff. I don't believe anything coming from Trouba's agent. I don't think anything will happen until much closer to the Dec-1st deadline. The problem is everyone has read the "Art of War" and for the same reason that every CBA negotiation will never get signed in time this won't happen early either.
If the Jets determine that they just can't get proper value for Trouba then they won't trade him. He can't play in the NHL until this is resolved and I don't know what could possibly be worth throwing your career away. Trouba is one of MANY players on the team. This hurts the Jets but hurts Jacob MUCH more. (there's only one of him)

Chevy won't operate under any timeline other than his own and why should he.

You answer your own question when you say "this hurts the jets but..." What is Chevys job? To make his team as good as possible or to punish Trouba?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Jets are willing to offer him 6X5.5 so the QO isn’t an issue.
Given the comps and the fact points are weighed so heavily arbitration probably gets Trouba less then what the Jets are offering.
Multi-year deals allow the first year to be minimized, which cuts the financial loss for the games Trouba’s missed.

Randal61

Jan 12, 2014
You answer your own question when you say "this hurts the jets but..." What is Chevys job? To make his team as good as possible or to punish Trouba?

To do what's best for the jets. or make the team as good as possible Today? Tomorrow? 1 year? At all costs?
I thinks Jets know what's best for them and their market.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Jets are willing to offer him 6X5.5 so the QO isn’t an issue.
Given the comps and the fact points are weighed so heavily arbitration probably gets Trouba less then what the Jets are offering.
Multi-year deals allow the first year to be minimized, which cuts the financial loss for the games Trouba’s missed.

But he doesn't want to be in Winnipeg and signing a 6 year deal does nothing to help him get out. Jets fans have said it themselves, Chevy moves at his own pace. It took him 3 years to trade Evander Kane. You think Trouba is not aware of that?

There are people talking about getting Trouba what he wants is setting a bad precedent for future RFA's. Don't you think Chevy has already set the bad precedent with how long it took him to trade Kane and that is now coming back to bite him?

Randal61

Jan 12, 2014
But he doesn't want to be in Winnipeg and signing a 6 year deal does nothing to help him get out. Jets fans have said it themselves, Chevy moves at his own pace. It took him 3 years to trade Evander Kane. You think Trouba is not aware of that?

There are people talking about getting Trouba what he wants is setting a bad precedent for future RFA's. Don't you think Chevy has already set the bad precedent with how long it took him to trade Kane and that is now coming back to bite him?

What?

cobra427

May 6, 2012

A one year deal would hurt his trade value between here and the TDL. The acquiring team if he is traded, would be worried about signing Trouba next summer. Right now, an acquiring team can negotiate a long term deal with his agent. With a deal in place, the acquiring team could offer better assets in a trade.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC

Let me break it down for you:

Trouba no longer wants to play for the Jets so in May he requested a trade.

In September he has not been traded yet so his agent goes public with the request.

The only leverage (very small leverage) is to not sign a contract.

The Jets GM had a similar situation a few years ago with a player under contract (Evander Kane) and his trade request took 3 years to be fulfilled, after he became a problem in the locker room.

Trouba is well aware that it took Chevy three years to trade Kane despite him repeatedly asking to me moved. Why would he ever sign a contract that locks him in to Winnipeg for 6 years? If he wants out that badly he is going to do whatever he needs to do to get traded. Signing a 6 year deal to 'rot' in Winnipeg while Chevy takes his sweet ole time finding a trading partner is not an option.

Thus, if he signs an offer sheet for a 1 or 2 year deal, Chevy can either let him walk for whatever the compensation is, or match the offer. I believe once you sign an offer sheet and that offer is matched you can not be traded for a year, but that may be a better option than waiting on Grandpa Chevy to get out of his rocker, shuffle over to the phone and work out a deal 4 years from now....

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think what you fail to address in this scenario is that his value could be as high as ever (perhaps even highest) at the draft. That's when teams have better plans on how they needs to address weaknesses, probably have more cap space, and are most prepared to do whats needed to improve their team.

Maybe you misunderstood my post, I stated I was playing along with his or some fans popular opinion of his value dropping.

That's not my personal opinion thus why I stated hypothetical

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I think the Trouba and Turris situations are pretty remote. Not very often does a player publicly say he wants out or holds out for an RFA contract. The higher end RFA's like Trouba are the ones that are getting screwed in the CBA because they have limited rights. There only option is to do what he is doing now. If this becomes more common with elite RFA's, then the CBA should be changed to make it more fair for elite RFA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad