Proposal: Trouba Mega Thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
I'm surprised at what HF thinks fair value for Trouba is. For me, Trouba is way overated in these parts of the interwebs.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Yes. Other than the bizarre Tyson Barrie situation when do teams buy only one UFA year from star RFAs?

Two things:

The Jets do need LD more than RD at this point, but their real need--the one that Trouba was the only player filling--is young, high end D. Left handed, right handed, ambidextrous, tentacled--doesn't matter. The Jets are short in top defencemen who will be in their primes concurrently with Scheifele, Ehlers, Hellebuyck, Connor, and Laine.

Secondly, players don't ask out for ******** reasons like the team is too good on a certain side. Especially when that player plays both sides. I don't know a single Jets fan or even a member of the media, local or national, who's buying that story.

Trouba wants out because he doesn't want to be in the smallest market in the NHL.

No. In this context "ceiling" refers to potential top end--barring unforeseen developments.
bolded should read "wants more money than Chevy is offering".

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-goalie-equipment-changes-tangled-debate/

4. Who’s in on Jacob Trouba? As best as I can tell, the list includes Arizona, Buffalo, Boston, Colorado, Detroit and the Rangers. This is purely a guess, but I could see Dallas and Tampa lurking. No idea how the Lightning could do it but Stars GM Jim Nill is always looking to upgrade his blue line. I’d thought Montreal but a couple of sources doubted it. Florida was trying before the draft but its moves afterward likely eliminate the possibility. The asks have been high. It wouldn’t surprise me, for example, if the Jets asked Buffalo for Rasmus Ristolainen, a right-hand shot who has played the left side. Apparently, some of those teams have been told they don’t have enough, which has led to them trying to involve third parties.

5. Another note on Trouba: word is the Jets specifically asked him (or, more likely, agent Kurt Overhardt) what the number was to sign but were told it wasn’t going to happen if the right side remained status quo.

6. As for the third party, Anaheim could be a facilitator. When the Ducks sent down Brandon Montour and Shea Theodore, you couldn’t help but wonder if that meant new contracts for Hampus Lindholm and Rickard Rakell. Sounds like Rakell is much closer than Lindholm, but that doesn’t mean anything is imminent. Whatever the case, teams are curious to see what moves the Ducks will make to protect themselves in the expansion draft. Few teams have as many difficult decisions. Anaheim really respected how well Cam Fowler played as they floundered last fall but the club is worried about losing him in the expansion draft or as a free agent (he’s got two more years). The Ducks don’t need to add defencemen and the expectation is they trade one for a forward. Could Fowler help someone land Trouba? Left-hand shot (which the Jets want) but not a ton of term.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Try packaging Trouba with Ehlers and some picks for Kucherov and a LD. Could work for both sides in terms of value.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As a person who's travelled throughout Canada and USA, Winnipeg is not any different from any other city with the possible exceptions of size (Peg is 750k) and temperature (yes it's colder here on average). As a person who can afford to live any where I want, I choose to live in Winnipeg b/c I like it here. Good mix of city, close community and never far from the country to go fishing/hunting/hiking.

I could never live in a large city or super warm environment year round.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
This discussion will always surface whenever the Jets are involved in any free agency talk. It is a tired old argument.

Personally there are several NHL cities I would not want to live in if I had a choice. Way too big and polluted. Everybody is entitled to their preferences. NHL players are obligated to the team that drafts them and it is a necessary part of professional sport.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
bolded should read "wants more money than Chevy is offering".

In an interview Overhardt stated that they have not entertained any offers.

If you're looking for a better offer, you may want to listen to them.

NHL players are obligated to the team that drafts them and it is a necessary part of professional sport.

He's well within his rights to not sign an NHL contract.

The Jets are also well within their rights to match any offer sheet.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If the Jets + ________ do end up going for a three-way trade to facilitate the movement of Trouba, I think Anaheim would be an interesting third team to do it with.

The question is...who would Anaheim ship out, and what teams would need them to join in the first place?

I think all the teams Elliotte mentioned, Arizona/Buffalo/Boston/Colorado/Detroit/Rangers, are all legitimate primary places for Trouba to end up in if he gets traded.

I wonder which teams want the three-way...

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
I don't normally post but I had to log in for this one,

Hamilton and a second for trouba and Patrik laine? Are you on crack?

As someone who has watched Hamilton closely, I think Trouba will be the better player. Dougie has good offensive skills but lacks the commitment needed to be an all-around D. We'll see.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
If the Jets + ________ do end up going for a three-way trade to facilitate the movement of Trouba, I think Anaheim would be an interesting third team to do it with.

The question is...who would Anaheim ship out, and what teams would need them to join in the first place?

I think all the teams Elliotte mentioned, Arizona/Buffalo/Boston/Colorado/Detroit/Rangers, are all legitimate primary places for Trouba to end up in if he gets traded.

Really depends if there is anyone out there willing and able to meet Chevy's needs. Fowler doesn't cut it (without a significant plus being a very good LHD prospect added to Fowler), there are teams out there with LHD who could meet the demands, but do they have a desire. If no one meets his demands Trouba will either sign (to be traded down the road) or Chevy will adjust his demands (main piece will be a forward plus a good LHD prospect). Tick tick tick, Dec 1st will be here soon enough.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
i

I'm not sure Arizona (potential instability in the market, may not stay) and Buffalo (due respect but isn't that Winnipeg south of the border? trust me, I'm not throwing stones here) fit the desired market for Trouba. It strikes me based on rumors that his desire is to play A)stateside and B)in a larger market where dear old dad can become a marketing genius for his son's talent. So Boston, Detroit, NYC all hit the mark hard, notably Detroit because he'd be going home. Denver I'm not sure about - great hockey city but isn't Denver fairly small by American standards (Denver proper is under a million but plus surrounding is??)

I realize he doesn't necessarily end up in AZ/Buf if it's a three way trade, but what comes back to Winnipeg?

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
i

I'm not sure Arizona (potential instability in the market, may not stay) and Buffalo (due respect but isn't that Winnipeg south of the border? trust me, I'm not throwing stones here) fit the desired market for Trouba. It strikes me based on rumors that his desire is to play A)stateside and B)in a larger market where dear old dad can become a marketing genius for his son's talent. So Boston, Detroit, NYC all hit the mark hard, notably Detroit because he'd be going home. Denver I'm not sure about - great hockey city but isn't Denver fairly small by American standards (Denver proper is under a million but plus surrounding is??)

I realize he doesn't necessarily end up in AZ/Buf if it's a three way trade, but what comes back to Winnipeg?

lol Last I checked, Buffalo is south of toronto. U know like the east.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
lol Last I checked, Buffalo is south of toronto. U know like the east.

Sigh.

Winnipeg is north of the border. Buffalo is south of the border.

Winnipeg = Buffalo in terms of perception.

-->Buffalo is Winnipeg, south of the border.

But thanks for the geography lesson, the NHL is so complex and all.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
To Arizona:
Trouba
Petan

To Anaheim:
Domi
Dano

To Winnipeg:
Lindholm
Larsson

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think this could be a dougie hamilton type return

If Chevy had any intention of getting a Dougie Hamilton type return he could and would have traded him several times. Obviously, Chevy won't accept that return and doesn't have to because he has no fear of an offer sheet, unlike the Bruins when they traded Hamilton. In fact, the Jets would probably welcome an offer sheet because they could simply match and Trouba would be tied to them with his only recourse being to sit out with no pay cheque.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
To Arizona:
Trouba
Petan

To Anaheim:
Domi
Dano

To Winnipeg:
Lindholm
Larsson

jets win, ducks and yotes lose.

Lindholm>Domi>Trouba.
why are the jets giving up the worst main piece and getting back the best? petan and dano dont make up that gap. think connor, and the ducks probably still pass

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Really depends if there is anyone out there willing and able to meet Chevy's needs. Fowler doesn't cut it (without a significant plus being a very good LHD prospect added to Fowler), there are teams out there with LHD who could meet the demands, but do they have a desire. If no one meets his demands Trouba will either sign (to be traded down the road) or Chevy will adjust his demands (main piece will be a forward plus a good LHD prospect). Tick tick tick, Dec 1st will be here soon enough.

ducks wouldnt add significantly to fowler for trouba, and rightfully so. 2 years ago sure. not after two straight meh seasons though.

trouba has hamilton value. Mid 1st, Mid 2nd, Late 2nd or equal Value.
they arent getting a young and talented LHD (Rielly,Risto, Lindholm) because those teams have no need to do it

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
ducks wouldnt add significantly to fowler for trouba, and rightfully so. 2 years ago sure. not after two straight meh seasons though.

they arent getting a young and talented LHD (Rielly,Risto, Lindholm) because those teams have no need to do it

This is incorrect. Boston was in a position where matching an offer sheet was going to be very difficult, so they traded him for a little bit more than offer sheet compensation value. WPG doesn't have such pressure as they have the cash to match an offer sheet. Trouba won't sign an offer sheet with that in mind. Totally different situations.

You are correct that WPG will never get one of those names listed and are going to have to settle for a package deal that includes a lesser or less developed LHD than Trouba's equal.

edit: In addition to the Seguin deal, it was the cap mismanagement by Chiarelli that lead to the Hamilton debacle that leaves such a sour taste in Boston fans mouths in regards to PC. It was clear Hamilton wanted out, but Sweeney was handcuffed in his ability to tell Hamilton to pound sand which is why he rushed the trade to get it done before the offer sheet window and focused on hashing out details with just a few teams rather than what the Jets are able to do.

Last edited:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

If you believe Trouba last two seasons have been meh, that shows us how little you truely know about Trouba. Zero interest in Fowler as a return for Trouba unless there was a significant plus.....Ducks don't want to add plus? No problem don't really want fowler anyways. Sooner trade Trouba for BPA (forward) then lose him for as little as fowler straight up.

Dougie deal completely different, we're not under any offer sheet threat. Not even valid comparison.

Will Chevy get his asked for return? Not sure, but why would he ask for less at this point? That would be dumb, he has total control. Either someone pays the price or they don't. Come late Nov Trouba will be forced to sign, we all know he won't sit out. Then Chevy can sign and trade him or trade him later on. If Josh M steals that top 4 LHD which by the looks of it he has, might of been our best D in the preseason overall. Then Chevy can trade Trouba for BPA (forward) as main piece plus a nice LHD prospect for the future. Lots of options, no rush at this point, Chevy has total control and support from fans and ownership.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
If you believe Trouba last two seasons have been meh, that shows us how little you truely know about Trouba. Zero interest in Fowler as a return for Trouba unless there was a significant plus.....Ducks don't want to add plus? No problem don't really want fowler anyways. Sooner trade Trouba for BPA (forward) then lose him for as little as fowler straight up.

Dougie deal completely different, we're not under any offer sheet threat. Not even valid comparison.

Will Chevy get his asked for return? Not sure, but why would he ask for less at this point? That would be dumb, he has total control. Either someone pays the price or they don't. Come late Nov Trouba will be forced to sign, we all know he won't sit out. Then Chevy can sign and trade him or trade him later on. If Josh M steals that top 4 LHD which by the looks of it he has, might of been our best D in the preseason overall. Then Chevy can trade Trouba for BPA (forward) as main piece plus a nice LHD prospect for the future. Lots of options, no rush at this point, Chevy has total control and support from fans and ownership.

Unless you guys get off to a bad start, then fans will be pissed your just sitting on a valuable asset in Trouba, and will want a return. You are comically optimistic about this whole thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad