Post-Game Talk: Trotz at Babcock - Game 4 @ 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Holtby had like 17 saves in the 3rd period alone. Plus that was with about 4 minutes left in the game so he probably had 20+ saves in the 3rd

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Pens fans chirping on their boards about how bad Orpik is. They see it, Leaf fans see it, there are just a couple of obstinate Caps fans who refuse to acknowledge the truth. When Alzner is ready, he needs to sit.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Don't get me wrong Shattenkirk isn't playing any better than Orpik. But that pairing is disasterous for what's meant to be the best 3rd pairing in the league, and Schmidt is arguably outperforming both of them right now.

It's one game. Shattenkirk is still the 4th best D on this team behind Niskanen, Orlov and Carlson.
My favourite stat of the night is on the turnovers. 29 turnovers by the Leafs. 4 giveaways each by Hunwick, Rielly and Gardiner. 3 giveaways by Zaitsev, 2 by Marincin. The only Leafs D without a giveaway is good ol' Connor Carrick.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
It's one game. Shattenkirk is still the 4th best D on this team behind Niskanen, Orlov and Carlson.
My favourite stat of the night is on the turnovers. 29 turnovers by the Leafs. 4 giveaways each by Hunwick, Rielly and Gardiner. 3 giveaways by Zaitsev, 2 by Marincin. The only Leafs D without a giveaway is good ol' Connor Carrick.

And Carrick was mostly to blame on Oshie's goal, he just watched it unfold haha

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
Pens fans chirping on their boards about how bad Orpik is. They see it, Leaf fans see it, there are just a couple of obstinate Caps fans who refuse to acknowledge the truth. When Alzner is ready, he needs to sit.

Agreed on this one. Put someone more mobile with Shattenkirk and I bet his offense will pick up during even strength.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Close score again, maybe it's a blessing in disguise currently.

Next!

As usual, voice of reason. And cautious optimism.

I'll go with it.

The good news is, we have a goalie coach who many consider best in the business. I am guessing he and Holts will study up and talk, and that Korn also consults closely with Trotz.

Korn was a great asset which came along with Trotz hire.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
"Literally" doesn't mean what you think it means.

He could easily be worse. Our D has been spotty and the Leafs have had several goals off very lucky, flukey bounces.

We know nothing about Grubauer's composure in big games. He's only ever had sheltered starts. Sure, he won the only playoff game he played, but he gave up 3 on 21 shots versus the Isles.

I'd stick with Holtby, the organization's best playoff performer ever. He's earned it.

Yes I'm sure we'll be fine if he keeps giving up 4 goals every game to the MAPLE LEAFS

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The Orpik hate is pretty hilarious. And unwarranted. Anyone happen to notice who made the stretch pass to Burt on the 4th goal?

And Martin seemed to be a non factor after getting absolutely whacked by Orpy in the first. Only 3 hits for him tonight.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
As usual, voice of reason. And cautious optimism.

I'll go with it.

The good news is, we have a goalie coach who many consider best in the business. I am guessing he and Holts will study up and talk, and that Korn also consults closely with Trotz.

Korn was a great asset which came along with Trotz hire.

I hope so...his play has been poor and not sure about the strange technique...questioning Korn on some of the technique weirdness of Holtby

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Keep skating and don't stand around with your **** in your hands and we could put together a run someday.

Thank ****ing **** we won.

Just keep skating...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yes I'm sure we'll be fine if he keeps giving up 4 goals every game to the MAPLE LEAFS
You say that as if they weren't a top five offense.

@JapersRink: Orpik has now been on the ice for 7 of Toronto's 14 goals, six of those at even-strength. FYI.

That includes six of the last eight in the past two games plus another potentially costly dumb penalty tonight. Those haven't all been on him but he's not showing effective physical play beyond gapping up at the blueline. In areas like tying up players along the boards or corralling anyone in the slot he's been pretty ineffective at key moments.

I like top nine Tom Wilson and it's very likely here to stay. Top nine Tom Wilson renders the need for Orpik lower and, again, I'll take Alzner over Orpik provided he's ready to go.

Jun 15, 2007
We needed Vezina Holtby 2 games ago.

Anyway there's no chance Grubauer gets a start unless there's an injury. Live or die with Holtby.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Holtby looks shaky even on the stops he makes. He needs to get it together.

Of course, he looks shaky. Look at how the puck is getting behind him. There is a high slot deflection/double deflection on every goal, most of them of his own teammates. He is playing like he doesn't know where the puck is going to come from and for a good reason.

A lot of those goals are against the flow of play, too. It's not a matter of Leafs engineering their own luck by dominating possession, it's just incredibly unlucky circumstances. I'm surprised Holtby hasn't lost his mind yet. Seriously, how many goals in this series came from a deflection off of a Caps' player?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I feel like a lot of Orps GA have been good plays by TO, vs a bone head pizza type of thing. Many call the goals bad luck, but Toronto is making that luck on most of their goals.

Our forwards look more lost on D than he does.

The goals against is concerning but think Toronto deserves a lot of credit. They get paid too, just much less than Orp and friends.

Oshie saved our ***** tonight. What a typical stud snipe on his game winner. Huge goal.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Anyone that tries to hang our previous failures on Holtby needs a scan of their brain. He has been the only reason we were in series in the past with strong consistent play (albeit rarely "stealing" a game). This year just is a stark contrast to previous years, and it is partly because the whacky deflection goals are in full force.

I have faith in him to turn it around, I just had very little faith in him tonight - was a definite bad game for him and is the exception not the rule

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Of course, he looks shaky. Look at how the puck is getting behind him. There is a high slot deflection/double deflection on every goal, most of them of his own teammates. He is playing like he doesn't know where the puck is going to come from and for a good reason.

A lot of those goals are against the flow of play, too. It's not a matter of Leafs engineering their own luck by dominating possession, it's just incredibly unlucky circumstances. I'm surprised Holtby hasn't lost his mind yet. Seriously, how many goals in this series came from a deflection off of a Caps' player?

Tend to agree with this - it's like he's anticipating a fluky bounce. Even a guy as mentally strong as Holtby is susceptible to being rattled by all the bounces. 3 of the 4 goals tonight were from fortunate bounce/deflections.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Jesus that attempted rim around by Carlson before the Leafs scored their last goal was inexcusable. A symptom of how we struggle and panic and just throw pucks up the boards sometimes. We need to get that corrected.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm not entirely sure they don't sit Schmidt when Alzner is healthy, but I'd really love to see 88 with 22 for a bit. I think, much like Carlson and Orlov have had at times, that Orpik's partners struggle with his style of play and leads to them looking worse than they are. I think the offensive creative between them would pay dividends and I'd be afraid Alzner would bring 22 down further than he already is.

Personally, while I think his defense has been maybe average, he's making clean passes and playing well. Not sure why everyone's hating on him besides being partnered with the whipping boy Orpik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad