Post-Game Talk: Trotz at Babcock - Game 4 @ 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
The Orpik hate is pretty hilarious. And unwarranted. Anyone happen to notice who made the stretch pass to Burt on the 4th goal?

Wonderful, one good play. How about the endless goals against he's directly responsible for? Remember important he is to our penalty kill when he takes a completely unnecessary slash to cause a 5-on-3 with 6 seconds left in the period, and then shouts his way to the box?

This series he's been nothing short of a liability.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The Orpik hate is pretty hilarious. And unwarranted. Anyone happen to notice who made the stretch pass to Burt on the 4th goal?

He has made some great plays on some of the Leafs young forwards that are clearly faster than him too. The problem is his contract. If he didn't make the money he does, no one would be *****ing about him. I like what he's brought so far in a series that I thought he would have gotten eaten up in. If you wanna complain about anyone, it's Shattenkirk

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
All the more reason we need to press the attack and ride that first line and stay out of the box. Doesn't look like 2-1 wins will be the route to success here. Need offense, plenty of it.

At least trotz fixed the TOI issue as to ovie.

And at least we killed the 5-on-3.

And at least several different players stepped ul, especially top line amd wilson.

Most of all, AT LEAST WE WON!!!

No points for style.

Didnt think i'd be happy with 2-2 series score, but it feels a lot better than yesterday

Yep and this was concerning. I actually missed the 5-3 kill due to not watching the clock and turning on the Boston/Ottawa game to avoid the NBCS guys.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Holtby looked terrible all night except for the 5-on-3, when he looked like old Holtby. He is overcommitting and looks leaky. Pucks are going through him. Pretty evident he's fighting the puck and not playing with a lot of confidence. These crazy ass bounces aren't helping.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Also agree that Grubbauer needs to start next game. 4 goals a game is utterly unacceptable.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
He has made some great plays on some of the Leafs young forwards that are clearly faster than him too. The problem is his contract. If he didn't make the money he does, no one would be *****ing about him. I like what he's brought so far in a series that I thought he would have gotten eaten up in. If you wanna complain about anyone, it's Shattenkirk

Shattenkirk doesn't take dumb penalties, and has markedly improved the power play. How many times have Orpik's big hits dramatically changed the momentum of a game so far?

If he had Chorney's contract, he'd be in the press box next to Chorney. He costs the team too much to risk letting him sour as a scratch and his play deteriorate further.

I'm disappointed Orlov and Niskanen aren't providing more offence, but at least they're eating away at the minutes.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
yeah wilson saved holtby thats a plus for holtby right?

so nhl goalies cant have defenders clear the loose puck? i mean he slowed it down and it didnt go into the net. thats teamwork.

my point is, holtby got us here, he literally stood on his head forever in game 1 and 2 allowing washington to come back after his hard start

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
so nhl goalies cant have defenders clear the loose puck? i mean he slowed it down and it didnt go into the net. thats teamwork.

my point is, holtby got us here, he literally stood on his head forever in game 1 and 2 allowing washington to come back after his hard start

yeah well he keeps giving up 4 goals a game we wont have to be worrying about starters in the playoffs for long

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
but he did. what about when they started the third outshot 10-1? or that 5 on 3 pk? did he not save the team?

Holtby did not, in any regard, save the team tonight. He was average to mediocre, as he has been rest of the series. Can he get better? Of course. But pointing out a couple big saves or stretches of holding down the fort, does not translate to saving the team. He saved some shots. Which he is paid to do. And which the other goalie has been doing too.

If he doesnt start Grubs, trotz should at least keep 70 on short leash in next game. If a couple get past him early, absolutely pull him.

Grubauer has been very steady this year too. And Cup history is littered with rookie (or no-name or backup) goalies who end up being a key piece of the puzzle.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Holtby did not, in any regard, save the team tonight. He was average to mediocre. As he has been rest of the series. Can he get better? Of course. But pointing out a couple big saves or stretches of bolding down the fort, does translate to saving the team. He saved some shots. Which he is paid to do. And which the other goalie has been doing too.

If be doesnt start Grubs, trotz should at least keep him on short leash in next game. If a couple get past him early, absolutely.

Grubauer has been very steady this year too. And Cup history is littered with rookie (or no-name or backup) goalies who end up being a key piece of the puzzle.

I agree with this, but this is the goalie that got us here. what happens if grubauer stinks it up? now you go back to holtby who has his confidence shattered?

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
He literally could not be any worse

"Literally" doesn't mean what you think it means.

He could easily be worse. Our D has been spotty and the Leafs have had several goals off very lucky, flukey bounces.

We know nothing about Grubauer's composure in big games. He's only ever had sheltered starts. Sure, he won the only playoff game he played, but he gave up 3 on 21 shots versus the Isles.

I'd stick with Holtby, the organization's best playoff performer ever. He's earned it.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Didn't see the game as I promised but I cheated and peeked a few times. ;)

Glad they won but do they ever make things difficult for themselves. :amazed:

At least the big guns stepped up along with Wilson. Need more of that. :)

The refs looked as horrendous, as usual. :(

All in all, they got the win that they absolutely had to have.

Keep working over that weak Toronto D. They'll continue to cough up the puck. 29 giveaways for Toronto, IIRC. The pressure will get to them.

Finally, no more turtling! :shakehead

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Shattenkirk doesn't take dumb penalties, and has markedly improved the power play. How many times have Orpik's big hits dramatically changed the momentum of a game so far?

If he had Chorney's contract, he'd be in the press box next to Chorney. He costs the team too much to risk letting him sour as a scratch and his play deteriorate further.

I'm disappointed Orlov and Niskanen aren't providing more offence, but at least they're eating away at the minutes.

Orpik has made smart plays that aren't flashy that's the problem. I can't count the number of times I've seen him ride the Leafs player leading the rush into the zone directly into the boards and slow down the developing play. He's also proving shot blocking that Shattenkirk isn't bringing. Leaving Shattenkirk out there because he improves the power play is a moot point if he's only going to get 13 minutes of ice time and look lost. He hasn't made a positive impact (that I remember) on any of the games and has also made a lot of mistakes but isn't getting his head ripped off by the board.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I'd stick with Holtby, the organization's best playoff performer ever. He's earned it.

I'm sure Trotz agrees with you. I just think it's the same kind of scared, conservative thinking which kept 88 out of lineup till two games ago, even as alzner, orpik and carlson were playing like **** and even though 88 had been excelling each time he did find a way out of the press box.

You need to meep evolving your view responding to new developments and trends.

Whatever.

Maybe 70 will settle down.

We could certainly help him by cutting down on the stupid penalties. Part of the overall feeling that we are going in to the turtle arises from the clusters of penalty kills, even if they are successful penalty kills.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Orpik has made smart plays that aren't flashy that's the problem. I can't count the number of times I've seen him ride the Leafs player leading the rush into the zone directly into the boards and slow down the developing play. He's also proving shot blocking that Shattenkirk isn't bringing. Leaving Shattenkirk out there because he improves the power play is a moot point if he's only going to get 13 minutes of ice time and look lost. He hasn't made a positive impact (that I remember) on any of the games and has also made a lot of mistakes but isn't getting his head ripped off by the board.

Don't get me wrong Shattenkirk isn't playing any better than Orpik. But that pairing is disasterous for what's meant to be the best 3rd pairing in the league, and Schmidt is arguably outperforming both of them right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad