Who is Better?

• Trocheck

Votes: 27 25.0%
  • Danault

Votes: 81 75.0%

• Total voters

NJRangers35

Apr 11, 2011
I asked this question on the Rangers board last week and got differing opinions, so was hoping to get more clarity on this board.

It was reported last offseason that the rangers made a serious run at Phillip Danault to fill their number 2 center hole. As we all know, he ended up signing with the Kings and had a breakout year.

The rangers this off-season ended up giving trocheck an extra year and a little more money than what Danault got last year.

Logic tells you the rangers liked Vinny better. Or it could have been the rangers just being more aggressive with strome falling off the books.

With that all said, I am asking who is the better player? Feel free to add any comments if you feel one is significantly better than the other.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Danault by a lot.

Trocheck was underrated and an efficient contract 3-4 years ago, but I don't think he's worth the contract he just signed.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Trocheck is IMO overpaid right now with this new contract, but he's still a good player that I'd take on a heartbeat on my Habs.

With that said, Danault is a beast. I didn't want Bergevin to sign him at 5.5M/Y and it seems that Bargain Bin didn't want to either but at the end of the day, it was a huge mistake that probably costed him his job (Price and Weber both out probably didn't help too lol)
Danault is Patrice Bergeron without the offensive flair (yet again, he's a +/- 50 points a year) and he can shut down a player like it's nobodies business. If you want to neutralize someone, Danault is your man.

Reactions: Dutronc

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Danault's defensive game easily trumps whatever advantage Trocheck might have on the offensive end of things. Danault by a fair bit for me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Danault is good it you have offensive firepower around him. Otherwise youre gonna be scrapping for goals because he scores very sparsely for 20 minutes a game.

If you have that fire power, hes great.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
i remember Danault getting shit on by Habs fans due to his lack of skill and scoring ability.

Now that he plays where no one watches he's amazing.

Reactions: The S5

JT3

May 27, 2013
i remember Danault getting shit on by Habs fans due to his lack of skill and scoring ability.

Huh? He played a much more defensive role with Montreal and most often deferred to Gallagher or Tatar on the wings rather than shoot himself. In LA he was put on the PP and told to shoot the puck more and that resulted in scoring more this past season. Not sure why it's necessary to take a jab at habs fans.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

The problem with Danault at the time is that Danault wanted to be at worst a second line center and the perception here was that it was Kotkaniemi's spot.

Not giving a 5.5M contract to Danault make sense if you think that:
1- Kotkaniemi is better than Danault
2- You'll keep Kotkaniemi
(Suzuki was and still is bette than both and plays on first line)

Now, since we live in the future, we have insight, and not giving him the contract was stupid as f***

But nobody in Montreal ever complained on Danault's talent. We always knew he was one of the best defensive player in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad