Player Discussion Tristan Luneau

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

Confirmed staph infection unrelated to previous surgery.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Confirmed staph infection unrelated to previous surgery.
Best news possible.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
What questions regarding his skating? Sure he is no Fowler or Drysdale but he is fine and I would even call his skating dynamic at times.
Disagree. He’s a solid NHL skater but in terms of becoming an elite defenseman his skating is his biggest challenge IMO

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Disagree. He’s a solid NHL skater but in terms of becoming an elite defenseman his skating is his biggest challenge IMO
Luneau's not going to skate like Drysdale. And he's almost certainly not going to be an elite defenseman. But neither is Drysdale. I think Luneau has the potential to be as valuable as Drysdale, maybe even better, but in different ways.

Reactions: Henrique Iglesias

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Luneau's not going to skate like Drysdale. And he's almost certainly not going to be an elite defenseman. But neither is Drysdale. I think Luneau has the potential to be as valuable as Drysdale, maybe even better, but in different ways.

I remember Drysdale being touted for his defense and how he'd take sessions outside of his team to learn how to play defense better. I don't think Drysdale gets enough credit in his first full (rookie) season in the NHL as he played top pairing minutes with Lindholm. He scored 32 points in 81 games, but also had a -26 rating. Lindholm and Manson set standards for defense for Jamie. Thank goodness we have Gudas as a vet to follow or emulate.

Luneau might bring in more offense than Drysdale, but Luneau's decision making skills are behind as he holds onto the puck far too long and he's too aggressive at the wrong time that leads to odd man rushes. I still think Luneau might have another gear to reach with more training and strength building to regain that burst in his first three steps.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Where did I say he needs to skate like Drysdale? I never even compared the two

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Where did I say he needs to skate like Drysdale? I never even compared the two
You said his skating will keep him from being elite; my presumption, given your response to the previous poster, was that you were implying his skating was going to keep him from the same upside Drysdale has. If not, then I apologize for misinterpreting your statement.

I think Luneau can become a good 2D, even without the elite skating ability. He seemed to be a good skater to me, not a great one, but he read plays really well and made good passes to effect zone breakouts. But I don't think he's got elite upside. Mintyukov is the only one who might, but he probably doesn't skate well enough for that either.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
In your opinion does Luneau or Mintyukov have better offensive upside?

Luneau will probably be the more aggressive offensive player in terms of forcing the issue but I think Minty being able to transition the puck from defense to offense will make him more productive on the stat sheet. Not to take anything away from Luneau but Minty's hockey IQ is leaps and bounds better thus far in their NHL action.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

Honestly, its hard to tell right now with Luneaus limited time, but I would put money on Luneau being the bigger offensive threat and Minty being the better all around player long term.

Reactions: DJB and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
For me it's too early to tell. They both have exceeded their expectations. I'm not confident yet to pick one over another

Reactions: DJB

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA

I think they have a similar offensive upside, but Mintukov's overall upside is much greater, so he's likelier to play more and thus put up more points just from having more minutes. Zellweger has a better offensive upside than both of them, but is going to need a defensive partner who can help in his own zone.

Zellweger's upside is Lubomir Visnovsky. It's a longshot he gets there, but I could see it. Just a small, quick guy with a great shot who knows how to QB a power play and keep the puck in the offensive zone so well that you don't need to worry much about defense.

Luneau's upside is Kris Letang-lite. He's not getting to Letang's level, but if everything goes right, I could see him playing a similar style minus about 15% of the production - very good offense and good enough in the defensive end but not a shutdown guy.

I could see Mintyukov with Sergei Zubov upside but without the early 90's offensive environment. He's the only one who has the full package to be able to produce on the offensive end and play good defense as well.

Before anyone freaks out, these are their UPSIDES. The chances any individual gets there (and certainly all three) is small. I'm not saying I predict any of these guys to be a future hall of famer. I'd love it, but it's probably not happening. I was just looking for a comp for each of them.

Reactions: DJB and lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad