Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Ducks going full Québécois.

foule_1680x1050.webp

Reactions: Mr Rogers and Kalv

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Adam Kimelman - NHL.com - June 29th: "He's a good skater with a strong, accurate shot he's able to get through traffic. He led Gatineau defensemen with 43 points (12 goals, 31 assists) in 43 games. "

Hadi Kalakeche - Dobber Prospects - June 18th: "Luneau’s ceiling is high due to how polished his physical game is. He isn’t the hardest hitter, but he shields pucks well and can bounce off checks effectively. He handles board battles effectively, using his frame to cut off opponents’ hands and escape with the puck."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - June 6th: "Luneau’s game isn’t dynamic, but he’s a smooth-skating (without being explosive, something some scouts worry about) right-shot defenceman who can competently run a power play, is a plus-level passer, has developed his shot into more of a weapon, and reads the play at as high a level as just about any defenceman in the draft (with and without the puck at both ends). "

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - May 31: "Luneau’s strengths come with the puck on his stick. He’s a very smart puck-moving defenseman with a solid skill level. He has the vision and poise to make great outlets and find seams in the offensive zone."

Chris Peters - Daily Faceoff - June 10th: "His offensive tools are better than what he does defensively. The more I watched Luneau this season, I just felt like there was good-enough offensive skill and adequate defending. He did everything at a level that didn’t strike me as truly elite or high-end, but he did a lot of things well."

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Nice, my gut felt after taking Warren we would end up with Luneau as well. Really like this pick as well. Stoked to catch some Gatineau games this year.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Ranked #40 by Pronman. Below average skating; average puck skills, hockey sense and compete; above average shot. Projected to "play NHL games".

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The First Overall Pick in the 2020 QMJHL Draft, Tristan Luneau has developed into a strong two-way defender for the Gatineau Olympiques. In 2020-21, he put up four goals and 14 assists for 18 points in 31 games. He earned a spot on the QMJHL All-Rookie Team. He was also named the winner of the Raymond Lagace Trophy as the QMJHL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year. Luneau also added one assist in four playoff games. Unfortunately, the Olympiques would lose their first-round series, three games to one to the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017

There were posters REALLY high on him before his injury... Like comparing him to Clarke and saying he's the best defensemen to play in the Q in a long time (really early posts)

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

There were posters REALLY high on him before his injury... Like comparing him to Clarke and saying he's the best defensemen to play in the Q in a long time (really early posts)
He was touted as a possible top 10 pick at the start of the season.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I've seen Jeff Petry comparisons.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Totally like this Dman pick. QMJHL dmen are underrated imo.

A little like Comtois in 2017 this QMJHL guy was once predicted to go top15 but production/injurys made him fall to the Ducks.

QMJHL I think is where Madden's dad Madden Sr. scouts quite well in for the Ducks.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
My favorite pick this year. I think he could be a steal.
Yep.... Mintyukov will be the best player imo... but Luneau is going to be a valuable part of our blue line in the future..

I think Warren Luneau and Mintyukov will be part of our defense in a few years.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
My favorite pick this year. I think he could be a steal.

Here's Madden talking about picking Luneau (source):

"If you went back to last year, he grew up in Quebec as the top prospect all the way up, from the time he was ten up until last season," Madden said. "Then, he hurt his knee and had to go through surgery [last] offseason and missed training for most of the summer. It took him three months to get back to the confidence to use his mobility and his agility the way he had in the past. It affected his play early in the year.​
"In the second half, now the strength was back. You could see a jump in his step, and he started to proactively take charge with the puck. He's a really smart defenseman. He can move the puck. He can defend well. That's what he brings."​

Here's THW (the hockey writer) profile on Luneau and his draft projection. Reading his profile makes it feel like he's like Korchinski in the offensive end by staying at the blue line than activating to pinch down.

Luneau should hear his name in the first round. However, his projection is all over the map as to whether it will be in the middle or near the end of the round. Some projections show him slipping into the second round, which would be an enormous steal for any team that lands him then. Expect him to go somewhere between the mid-to-late 20s of the first round.​

===

Here's a player whose stock dropped significantly because of injury to his knee that required surgery. This is a gamble on a player in hopes the knee surgery will remain a success and build upon it. Luneau lost significant time training during the summer and there could still be improvement in his skating.

Here is Central Scouting's 2021-2022 Pre-lim evaluation, breaking down talents into tiers than specific ranking: Source. Luneau was classified as an A prospect, a 1st round grade. At CS' North American skaters mid-term rankings, Luneau was ranked 10th, which is weird since he didn't play well to start off the season. For CS' (NA) final rankings, Luneau was ranked 24th overall - again, weird, since his play improved, according to Madden.

I have to remind myself that we picked DFD Warren over two-way Luneau to show Luneau is a gamble pick. The gamble I thought the Ducks would have went after was AJHL C Rieger Lorenz, selected three picks after Luneau. If the org feels Luneau is fully healed, then taking a gamble on a player once projected to being one of the top defensemen in the pre-lim ranking carries more value.

It'll be interesting how Luneau will produce next year healthy and compare his production with Korchinski, Minty, and Matey, since all of them play in the CHL.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Definitely needs to improve skating and mobility... Especially first step. If he can do that I think he'll be a player for a long time. If he doesn't improve his skating I think he will end up being similar to Jacob Larsson type. He does seem to have a very high hockey IQ.

Last edited:

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
I am a Gatineau Olympiques fan. Tristan's hockey IQ is very strong. He rarely coughs up the puck and his transition game is very solid. He is a quiet character and a great student of the game. He somewhat has challenges when it comes with the physicality but this will improve once he fills out. He also has to improve the strength of his shot. Bonne chance Tristan!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad