Trevor Timmins - The day they made me draft Louis Leblanc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You know MB's motto, expect the worst from me, so Tkachuk has to be their pick even if they ended up 2nd overall. I'm sure we'll hear all about how you don't pass on players with his size and abilities, character wins championships, I know his dad, etc..

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You know MB's motto, expect the worst from me, so Tkachuk has to be their pick even if they ended up 2nd overall. I'm sure we'll hear all about how you don't pass on players with his size and abilities, character wins championships, I know his dad, etc..

Yep, I'm actually on board for the Habs winning some games to end the season. We are better off picking in the back half of the top ten, then the front half.. them picking Tkachuk because of character would be the final farce of the year.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It's a well known fact that the Habs would be better off with Esposito/Perron/Veilleux than Subban/McDonagh/Pacioretty.

The only time the american player back-fired was Fisher over Giroux.. which was then reversed when we took Leblanc over Kreider.
Selective memory much? If we're talking about the 1st round only you forgot Tinordi and McCarron.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I guess I misinterpreted your post 'cause in no way he's #2...here's my top 15 list to date....Note....it will change....but it will be close. I do, maybe to a stupid extent, take under account the date of birth. And him being close to last year draft...is a concern for me. Though except for Hughes..he's too phenomenal for me to move down....

1 - Dahlin
2 - Svechnikov
3 - Zadina
4 - Hughes
5 - Boqvist
6 - Wahlstrom
7 - Kotkaniemi
8 - Dobson
9 - Farabee
10 - Tkachuk
11 - Bouchard
12 - Smith
13 - Kupari
14 - Merkley
15 - Veleno

And frankly....I could push Tkachuk even further. I think that guys behind him might have skills that he doesn't have. BUt for me, it's not against him. I just think this top 15 is one of the best since a very long time. And I still believe Tkachuk could be a very good player. He won't be in my ND list. But I guess I'm expecting him to be a Habs based on character and all....

So if you were MB (I don't mean that as an insult) and the Habs have the 6th pick who would you take? Wahlstrom - a sometimes center - or Kockamamie - a true blue center?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Yep, I'm actually on board for the Habs winning some games to end the season. We are better off picking in the back half of the top ten, then the front half.. them picking Tkachuk because of character would be the final farce of the year.
Maybe you're underestimating NHL scouts. What if the Habs fall to 7-8 and Tkachuk is still there?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So if you were MB (I don't mean that as an insult) and the Habs have the 6th pick who would you take? Wahlstrom - a sometimes center - or Kockamamie - a true blue center?

This is totally an insult.....lol. Today, at this present time, I am NOT going for needs. Not around that pick. Gap might not be that much. So I'm going with the best player. And it's Wahlstrom for me.....right now. But it's damn close. I believe Kotkaniemi is incredibly underrated. 21 by McKeen is a joke. Actually every scouting group EXCEPT Hockey Prospect. And I have to say McCagg...though him putting Tkachuk ahead of him is a joke....

Asked me again at draft day.....I will hope one will be gone so I could pick the other one....But it's possible that needs speak louder....Kotkaniemi will not be a bad choice. Trust me.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
This is totally an insult.....lol. Today, at this present time, I am NOT going for needs. Not around that pick. Gap might not be that much. So I'm going with the best player. And it's Wahlstrom for me.....right now. But it's damn close. I believe Kotkaniemi is incredibly underrated. 21 by McKeen is a joke. Actually every scouting group EXCEPT Hockey Prospect. And I have to say McCagg...though him putting Tkachuk ahead of him is a joke....

Asked me again at draft day.....I will hope one will be gone so I could pick the other one....
So how would you solve the center problems? We need two top 6. If you're not going to draft one when a center prospect is so close, you must have another idea on how to solve those needs. Maybe Wahlstrom is slightly better than Kotkaniemi - that's how it looks on your list - but maybe Kotkaniemi will be more valuable to the Habs than Wahlstrom. We have zero top centers and no prospects in the pipeline. Poehling is a 3rd line center. Wingers, we have wingers. Lots of them. Maybe not on Wahlstrom's level but Drouin and Galchenyuk are in the same ballpark. Centers we got zilch, zippo, nada, niente.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
So how would you solve the center problems? We need two top 6. If you're not going to draft one when a center prospect is so close, you must have another idea on how to solve those needs. Maybe Wahlstrom is slightly better than Kotkaniemi - that's how it looks on your list - but maybe Kotkaniemi will be more valuable to the Habs than Wahlstrom. We have zero top centers and no prospects in the pipeline. Poehling is a 3rd line center. Wingers, we have wingers. Lots of them. Maybe not on Wahlstrom's level but Drouin and Galchenyuk are in the same ballpark. Centers we got zilch, zippo, nada, niente.

Well, you don't solve it by picking players who project lower long term. We don't know what the state of the team will be when Wahlstrom will be ready to make an impact and even less what center might be available at in the next few drafts. I mean, do you pass up Laine because Dubois or Jost are available if you're lacking centers ?

That said, Kotkaniemi's been a winger this year outside of the 5 nations. Both are "sometimes" centers and the team that drafts them needs to make sure they decide what position they want these guys to play.

In any case, both are great picks in the top 10. What makes Kotkaniemi even more of sleeper is he's almost a full year younger than comparable Finnish prospects from years past (Wahlstrom is young as well), but producing just as much. I'm always tempted to rank him higher and higher, because his game does project well at center and he's a full package of offense who's a threat as a goal scorer. He makes playmaking decisions at a pro level already.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

And again, the day that you see Jones for Johansen is the day that you could package top prospects for another top prospects. We drafted Sergachev. Not my fault if Bergevin is too stupid to trade him for a real C. But we could. See Jones for Johansen. Yet again, I wouldn't be against a Kotkaniemi pick. Think I was clear on that. But it will always be BPA for me unless...there's a CLEAR winner.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Well, you don't solve it by picking players who project lower long term. We don't know what the state of the team will be when Wahlstrom will be ready to make an impact and even less what center might be available at in the next few drafts. I mean, do you pass up Laine because Dubois or Jost are available if you're lacking centers ?

That said, Kotkaniemi's been a winger this year outside of the 5 nations. Both are "sometimes" centers and the team that drafts them needs to make sure they decide what position they want these guys to play.

In any case, both are great picks in the top 10.

Kotkaniemi's style of play though suits him so much to be a C. You see Wahlstrom and you see Bellows. But Kotkaniemi's game is more ''centerman style''. Both could be C. Easier to picture Kotkaniemi.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Kotkaniemi's style of play though suits him so much to be a C. You see Wahlstrom and you see Bellows. But Kotkaniemi's game is more ''centerman style''. Both could be C. Easier to picture Kotkaniemi.

Yep I agree, added an edit just before your reply. But, Galchenyuk's game suits the center position as well, so we know our team isn't exactly a development powerhouse, it's why I felt that caveat was important.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
And again, the day that you see Jones for Johansen is the day that you could package top prospects for another top prospects. We drafted Sergachev. Not my fault if Bergevin is too stupid to trade him for a real C. But we could. See Jones for Johansen. Yet again, I wouldn't be against a Kotkaniemi pick. Think I was clear on that. But it will always be BPA for me unless...there's a CLEAR winner.
Great example. I had that exact trade in mind when I responded to you but I didn't want to make my post longer than it was. I think in the Jones-Johansen trade the Blue Jackets got the better player but Nashville was the team that improved the most. Why? Because they filled a need.

Same with that draft pick. I'll go by your rating because I haven't seen Kotkaniemi at all and Wahlstrom just at the juniors. You say Wahlstrom is the slightly better player but their values are comparable. You do have them 6 & 7. If you were my head scout and you came to me with that list I would ask you to pick the Finn.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I don't want to climb higher than we are.. win 1 or 2, but don't hit 3. Sit at 5-7.

Getting Tkachuk would be the worst reward for this year.

It's very unlikely we end up anywhere but 5-7. Of course we will have a decent shot at top 3 no matter where we end up.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't see slightly at all.. Wahlstrom is the altogether better player with the higher upside.
But you're not my head scout, damn it. I gave the job to Whitesnake. If you want to be heard go through the proper channels. Marry my cousin or introduce yourself to me when we're kids.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It's like fasting for a week and instead of a steak dinner you have chicken .strips and fries.

Sure they will fill you up and they're not bad but you had the option to get something better.

He seems like a good young player, just curious what you didn't like about his game.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He seems like a good young player, just curious what you didn't like about his game.

Days away from being eligible for last year's draft
Skating concerns
No dynamic outstanding skill
Has only scored 8 goals, where players from last years draft in the NCAA have scored more than that
Quinn Hughes is a D, younger, smaller, and playing in the NCAA, almost eclipses his point totals
Is a pure winger and the other wingers in this draft are better than him in every measurable way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad