Speculation: Treliving Not Allowed to sit at the Draft Table.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Isn’t this just standard operating procedure when a GM moves over from another organization right before the draft? I’m pretty sure that I’ve heard it before with other teams.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
I was really looking forward to trading down twice for a late 2nd, a late 4th and another 5th. Did you know that a 2nd has the same value as a late 1st? Somebody told me that on a blog.
isn't that how the leafs got Knies?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Treliving needs an extra long string and two soup cans to instruct his assistants at the draft table.

Here's the issue: how are they going to smuggle those soup cans and string into the Bridgestone Arena?

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
It takes a special GM to pull off those types of moves. Doubt Tree is up to the task.
These trades are made all the time. Treliving traded down a couple times himself in the 2020 draft. A trade down would be the ideal move given this year's deep draft class.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Not sure why people are getting worked up about this.

GMs contracts almost certainly have clauses regarding the non-disclosure of confidential information, and Treliving's knowledge of Calgary's draft targets and general approach/philosophy to this draft would fall under that category.

Reactions: ITM

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Do we really need anybody there……we only have 3 pick. Just phone it in.
thank you Kyle

Can he sit under the table?

Doesn’t Doobler have the Leafs info?
Dubas probably didn’t have any intel on draft pics………he knew he was giving away most of them.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Don't think so. We traded our 1st for Foligno and used our 2nd to select Knies. We traded down for Sandin, Dermott, Antropov. Traded up to get Biggs, Schenn.
I mean we drafted a big player in the second round its not like we exclusively targeted midgets or something, they were looking for skill and to hit it out of the ballpark so I really can't get behind this "we only draft Smurfs" mantra. Hell Brayden Point was a "Smurf" when he got drafted.

I agree there needs to be balance but we can't do the Hunter thing where we were only taking fridges nor can we do the only small skilled players thing. You gotta look for projectable skill and draft accordingly and if that means drafting a couple of smaller players then so be it.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If there is one year it don't matter it's when you have no picks. After 3rd it isn't even throwing darts. Move up take a stud and let fate deal ya at 5 and 6th. Big yawn.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Don't think so. We traded our 1st for Foligno and used our 2nd to select Knies. We traded down for Sandin, Dermott, Antropov. Traded up to get Biggs, Schenn.

The best trade down it looks like so far is #44 (Kleven) for #59 (Hirvonen) and #64 (Niemela), at least with how they are progressing.

Trading back is not bad if there isn't a main target on the board. I think they discussed trading back (in one of the Blueprint videos) when Knies was available but enough scouts felt strongly about picking Knies so they made it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad