Confirmed with Link: Travis Sanheim Signs Eight Year Extension ($6.25AAV)

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
A few weeks ago it seemed that almost everyone posting on this board was sure that Sanheim would leave in free agency.
Apparently, a lot of players still love to play for the Philadelphia Flyers.
I think it's a bit concerning actually that Sanheim was comfortable enough to take an extension here where he probably could have gotten a similarly priced contract elsewhere with a bit less term. It does have me question how much he cares about winning because clearly this team isn't doing that for most of his contract. Oh well, sucks for him.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't grind on sanheim for being developed properly but if you want to say his lack of games is a mark against him go ahead. Al Bundy scored 4 touchdown in a single game at Polk high which is junior success talk for a ufa.

It's more like a team drafting a very gifted QB in the first round and then playing him as a RB without even seeing if he can be a QB.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
A few weeks ago it seemed that almost everyone posting on this board was sure that Sanheim would leave in free agency.
Apparently, a lot of players still love to play for the Philadelphia Flyers.
Who was the last UFA that walked? They always get their own FAs to sign and it's almost never an overpay, even under Fletcher.
The only players Fletcher does overpay for are the ones he gets from outside the organization.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
To further your analogy sanheim is a running quarterback who can barely read a defense. His junior success was a lot of goals because sanheim is good with the puck on his stick. Not even pinching but down in the high slot. He might have a position on the half wall but there's never been anything that says ppqb but people read offensive dmen and echo the thought that he should be put in a role he's never had success in.
Since the absence of ghost there's been few suited to man the point more a desperate need to fill a role then looking at a player and see where they could best excel. I'd look to York or brink before sanheim.
That's not to say I don't think sanheim is a good player. I do he's dynamic with the puck and great in transition. He's put in work on finding leverage in the corners and has a good wrister. It's a good contract and he definitely could have gotten more money in the summer

Reactions: TCTC

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
To further your analogy sanheim is a running quarterback who can barely read a defense. His junior success was a lot of goals because sanheim is good with the puck on his stick. Not even pinching but down in the high slot. He might have a position on the half wall but there's never been anything that says ppqb but people read offensive dmen and echo the thought that he should be put in a role he's never had success in.
Since the absence of ghost there's been few suited to man the point more a desperate need to fill a role then looking at a player and see where they could best excel. I'd look to York or brink before sanheim.
That's not to say I don't think sanheim is a good player. I do he's dynamic with the puck and great in transition. He's put in work on finding leverage in the corners and has a good wrister. It's a good contract and he definitely could have gotten more money in the summer
Point is provy is awful at the pp. we dont know sanhiem why not try him. Hard to be as bad as provy

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I'll never forget Sanheim in December 2019 tripping over his feet and falling 3 games in a row backward skating that led to immediate goals against. Probably never notice or see something like that happen again.

Glad to see him signed long term though, always been a big fan.

Give the guy some powerplay time though, jesus.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Some of you guys should sit this one out. He put up record Junior numbers on a team whose best forward was Radel Fazleev - a fringe AHL 4th liner. You don't do that without having exceptional feel for the game. Only Mat Barzal (fairly decent) had more PP points than Sanheim his last year of Junior.

At no point was he used on the first PP unit in the NHL or the AHL where he inexplicably spent an entire season playing (and some the following season). He never played without another defenseman on the ice on an NHL PP. He got one extended look on the PP in his career and paced for 40 points. It's inexcusable that he's this far into his career and we still don't know what he fully is. Compare that to Provorov who got (and still continues to get) every single opportunity to reach his full potential.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yeah, but this isn't true. Sanheim at even strength has show he can read and exploit a cycle in ways Provorov can't. That kind of thing is important for a PP. Yet they refuse to try him there.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You get a lot more time and space to operate in junior.

Sanheim hasn't received tons of PP opportunities in the NHL, but he hasn't looked good when he has. Many unforced errors. Tripping over himself, bobbled pucks, etc.

Sanheim isn't a tight-spaces kind of player, and he isn't a distributor/quarterback. He's good at skating with the puck.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You get a lot more time and space to operate in junior.

Sanheim hasn't received tons of PP opportunities in the NHL, but he hasn't looked good when he has. Many unforced errors. Tripping over himself, bobbled pucks, etc.

Sanheim isn't a tight-spaces kind of player, and he isn't a distributor/quarterback. He's good at skating with the puck.

He hasn't been given any opportunity to look good.

We have no idea if he's a bad distributor/QB because he's never been given any real shot at it at any level with this team. Bad development.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Provorov produced on the PP in junior, too.

In the NHL? No, I don’t think Provorov is a natural NHL PP QB, either.

That’s probably why they started the season with Zamula over him on PP2.

Unfortunately, Zamula has looked overmatched so far.

When York eventually comes back up, it will all be moot, because then they’ll have two natural PP QBs in DeAngelo & York.

In the meantime, I’ve got no problem shuffling among different defensemen, including Sanhero, on PP2, & seeing who performs best.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Provorov and Sanheim are incredible examples of fans judging players based on stereotypes and team propaganda instead of what happens on the ice.
Hater.

It’s also funny because a lot of people say that Provorov has a shitty personality and yet that is just as likely team propaganda. After all, the organization just loves to telegraph their opinions on players and tank their value even further.

Oh no! Player is miserable after years of playing for a dog water franchise. More at 11!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hater.

It’s also funny because a lot of people say that Provorov has a shitty personality and yet that is just as likely team propaganda. After all, the organization just loves to telegraph their opinions on players and tank their value even further.

Oh no! Player is miserable after years of playing for a dog water franchise. More at 11!

For the record, I've never based any of my Provorov criticisms off of anything other than his on-ice play.

I could make a list of things I have a problem with to support how I feel about him, without listing anything about his rumored off-ice flaws. He's not a horrible player... he's just nothing like what people think he is.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't know what he's like in person, but his direct quotes at the end of last season were pretty damn shitty considering how poorly he played.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim has a 36.85% xGF in two games, he misses Risto!
The crazy thing is Braun is at 52.13%.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't know what he's like in person, but his direct quotes at the end of last season were pretty damn shitty considering how poorly he played.

He refuses to hold himself accountable, which isn't all that surprising since the Flyers haven't held him accountable once since his first NHL game in 2016.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
He refuses to hold himself accountable, which isn't all that surprising since the Flyers haven't held him accountable once since his first NHL game in 2016.
We know his personality though. He is seemingly a perfectionist who is laser focused on his craft which would lend itself to the likelihood that he holds himself accountable more than anyone else even to a fault.

He's played on an absolutely dog shit team for years now getting the most minutes. That will wear on someone mentally.

Hell, it wears on us as a fanbase. We've all checked out on them after seeing how shitty they've been for years.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't get how can you be a perfectionist when you make routine puck handling errors all the time.

Seems like maybe he cares more about being physically ready than mentally ready. He also needs to push less tractor tires over the summer and instead work on puck-handling; preferably with head up and a stick length that actually makes sense.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I don't think he's said a bad word about any player on the team. He's definitely the kind of person who hates losing and losing for years now has probably made him miserable. I think he and Giroux are very similar in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad