Confirmed with Link: Travis Moen re-signed for 4 years, $1.85M per year (modified NTC)

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
If he Keeps play like he has in this preseason and last year playoffs and I'm more than fine with Moen. Had a really bad regular season, but other then that his been good in his time in Mtl, can hold his own in most fights, and is a guy that can actually play hockey and great on the pk.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
I don't get the hate for moen. he is a playoff warrior and he only makes 1.85. what do ppl want from him. he does his job he kills penalties and does a good job at that. he was one of the better players in the playoffs last season. if tbe habs didn't have moen in 2010 they wouldn't have beaten Washington either. he scored a huge goal in game 5. if they get rid of him, Montreal would be looking for a player just like him.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Moen would be decent on a lot of teams, but the Habs have lacked both an energy guy and a heavy for some time now.

So either he needs to get traded or...Habs build around Moen.
Grumpy-Cat-1.jpg

Like a modern day Stevenson.

hogtownhabsfan*

He needs to go to the West where a big, responsible winger with a cup ring would be desired.

In the East you need toughness to play on the 4th line.

CreamOfTheCrop

Jan 13, 2009
Montreal
Care to explain why?

There is many other ''Travis Moen'' in the NHL.
Why do we need a ''Kostopoulos upgrade'' on our team when we have White,Parros,Prust in the Bottom 3

When was the last time Moen showed guts ?
He is far from being a warrior.

Plus how can Moen gets a 1.85m NTC on his 4 year contract.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Why do we need a ''Kostopoulos upgrade'' on our team when we have White,Parros,Prust in the Bottom 3

He signed this deal after a great year. It's always easy to come back and whine about it. Not that it was a great deal, I think 4 year deals on grinders is very risky, no matter which one.

Matthew Barnaby said it best on TV yesterday. I'm paraphrasing but he pretty much said ''As a grinder or tough guy, if you play on the 3rd line, with more ice time and a little more responsibilities, then you're more than happy to step up and fight as much as you need too. But when you end up playing a shift or two per period, and you're only called upon to go stir crap up or send a message, you lose interest and don't want to fight anymore.''

Not that this applies to Moen, but his role did diminish. He was on a career high pace (by far) when he was paired with Eller and AK. He was playing close to 16min per game. He dropped back down to playing a smaller role last year.
This isn't uncommon. We've seen a number of fighters that end up scoring a decent amount of goals/points, all things considered, and then they stop fighting. Once they have a taste of scoring more and filling a bigger role, they don't have the motivation to go back to the bottom of the food chain. It's perfectly understandable and rationale behavior.

I feel for Moen. The guy is a true team guy, but I think, perhaps subconsciously, he isn't happy with his role here.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

From last night, ask Fredrik Claesson if Moen has guts. He beat the **** out of him and had him turtling pretty quickly.

Next, ask Lars Eller if Moen has guts. After Eller hit Mark Borowiecki, Borowiecki was about to beat the hell out of Eller. But who stepped in the way? Travis "I am hated by a random poster on HFBoards" Moen did.

If the linesman would not have tackled Borowiecki, Moen would have beat the **** out of him.

Now if you hate Moen because he cannot kick Kassian's ass, then you deserve to have an ignorant opinion about Moen.

Just like sheep following a meme. One person starts chanting "I hate _________ (fill in a random Habs player here)" and this is what we will read about all season.

You should be thankful that Moen is stepping up to protect the non-fighting players this season.

Would you take on Kassian? I doubt it.

CreamOfTheCrop

Jan 13, 2009
Montreal
From last night, ask Fredrik Claesson if Moen has guts. He beat the **** out of him and had him turtling pretty quickly.

Next, ask Lars Eller if Moen has guts. After Eller hit Mark Borowiecki, Borowiecki was about to beat the hell out of Eller. But who stepped in the way? Travis "I am hated by a random poster on HFBoards" Moen did.

If the linesman would not have tackled Borowiecki, Moen would have beat the **** out of him.

Now if you hate Moen because he cannot kick Kassian's ass, then you deserve to have an ignorant opinion about Moen.

Just like sheep following a meme. One person starts chanting "I hate _________ (fill in a random Habs player here)" and this is what we will read about all season.

You should be thankful that Moen is stepping up to protect the non-fighting players this season.

Would you take on Kassian? I doubt it.

Am I being overpaid 1.85 million to drop the gloves ? I am just a fan who can give his 2 cents when he wants to.

Like I said before, there is too many Travis Moen players in the league and I still don't get why we gave him a 4years contract.

You make Moen seem like he is a true warrior when he isn't. He is easily replaceable.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Still can't believe people are whining that Moen doesn't fight enough. That's not his game, he anchors a 4th line that gets incredibly tough assignments, and he plays well on the PK. We already have White and Prust in the lineup as our bottom 6 fighters, we don't need Moen out there fighting all the time. There's more to playing on the 4th line than fighting, White already skates all over the ice hitting people, imagine how many goals the 4th line would give up if Moen started doing that too.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
why did you guys bump this thread, I almost had a heart attack I thought they extended him for 4 more years

Toro

Sep 6, 2005
Windsor
why did you guys bump this thread, I almost had a heart attack I thought they extended him for 4 more years

same, thought i was going to have a cow...Moen's current deal is fine and im good with either trading him at deadline if we have too many forwards(please no injuries) or keeping him. He is a solid pk'er and a team guy...We may have better options soon(prospects) but time will tell.. Bring on the season!!

p.s. thought i was in twilight zone cause first posts i read in the thread were all positive about the deal!! lol

MrDontGive

Nov 16, 2010
1 post since 2010, that's a pretty big deal. I sincerely apologize for bumping this thread and giving you a scare.

haha! loyal reader, might start to comment here and there, didn't realize that I made the account and didn't post anything!! nice catch!

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
I'm bored with the Moen hate, yes he didn't have the greatest season ever last season, but he still was is usual self in term of defensive game (3rd-4th best defensive forward on the team) and to peoples saying he doesn't want to fight :

5 fights in 45 games in 2012-2013 season (that means 9 fights on a 82 games season) in the most recent of his season.
3 fights in 48 games in 2011-2012 season (but is most productive in term of PPG)
10 fights in 79 games in 2010-2011

Seriously how peoples are saying he doesn't want to fight anymore when the guy
pretty much had his usual 9-10 fights per season pace last season.

I'm not the most happy guy with the contract, mainly the lenght, but the guy is still a very underrated and useful defensive forward who still hit and get plenty of fights. Last year he wasn't as involved with scrums and physicality, but give him a chance, it's preseason and that's pretty much an holiday for veterans players.

Last edited:

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
In his last few games, Moen did pretty well.

He can play on a third line if need be, can fight and will be needed this season against Boston, Toronto and Ottawa.

He did face Kassian even if he is not in a same class.

A bit expensive but I am certainly willing to see what he can do this season.

68*

Props to Moen for fighting Kassian even if he didn't do good. Mismatch. Love this farmer. Haters gonna hate.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't get the hate for moen. he is a playoff warrior and he only makes 1.85. what do ppl want from him. he does his job he kills penalties and does a good job at that. he was one of the better players in the playoffs last season. if tbe habs didn't have moen in 2010 they wouldn't have beaten Washington either. he scored a huge goal in game 5. if they get rid of him, Montreal would be looking for a player just like him.

1.85 is a lot for an 11-12 min/g, 4th line forward. Ryan Jones was released and cleared waivers, and I suspect he won't be the last comparable (Tootoo next?) to do the same in the near future.

In 2010 Moen has just turned 28. He is now 31, under contract through 33. I would also argue that the league was shallower at the forward position a few years ago. At this point, 3rd liners are skilled, and competent 4th liners are cheap and easy to find.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad