Prospect Info: Traverse City roster

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Skjei. Graves. Tambellini. The latter is the only forward worth following in the AHL. The rest of them are journeyman AHL players.

IMHO, Not much actual basis to declare Graves way ahead of Andersson and Zamorsky. We'll see.

Most of the TC forwards will actualy play again at junior, not even pro, this season

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't think it's any secret that the Rangers have one of the weakest prospect pools in the NHL. Partly that's because the team has raised into a legit contender status and Sather and Gorton making last minute deals at the deadline to improve playoff hopes.

The Blackhawks have already been through a couple major player purges. They have however been able to hang on to most of their best picks and prospects and attract top shelf undrafted players (Panarin, Trevor Van Riemsdyk for instance) into the fold meanwhile winning cups along the way. The Blackhawks should be the model the Rangers use for going forward revamping their overall depth while at the same time hopefully maintaining contender status. The Hawks have done a great of maintaing the balance between being a perennial contender all the while injecting good young players into their farm system.

preaching to the choir

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So, who of the invitees would you guys like to see signed? I feel there are only 4 players who might be able to make the NHL one day.

Artem Artemov, Jerret Smith, Hayden Hodgson and Jayden Hart.

I don't think they are certainties, but maybe some did enough to earn an AHL contract. Joey Bones, what are your thoughts?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't think it's any secret that the Rangers have one of the weakest prospect pools in the NHL. Partly that's because the team has raised into a legit contender status and Sather and Gorton making last minute deals at the deadline to improve playoff hopes.

The Blackhawks have already been through a couple major player purges. They have however been able to hang on to most of their best picks and prospects and attract top shelf undrafted players (Panarin, Trevor Van Riemsdyk for instance) into the fold meanwhile winning cups along the way. The Blackhawks should be the model the Rangers use for going forward revamping their overall depth while at the same time hopefully maintaining contender status. The Hawks have done a great of maintaing the balance between being a perennial contender all the while injecting good young players into their farm system.

Yeah, but just for the record. We don't need 6-8 kids to make it to the NHL from the current group. My point is just, if we last year had 5 "JT Millers" and 5 "John Moores" instead of one each, we aren't that much closer to a Cup. And neither will we be in 5 years if you get what I mean.

If we get a few players that can come in and really make a difference, then I think we get what we need and what can be expected for a team that has done well for a while. There are players in the system that potentially really can help us. Our farm is not as bad as it seems given that we do have a lot of spots in the NHL locked up long term and guys like Buch and Skjei are looking really good and a few others probably are a bit closer than many realize (Lindberg, McIlrath and co).

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So, who of the invitees would you guys like to see signed? I feel there are only 4 players who might be able to make the NHL one day.

I don't think they are certainties, but maybe some did enough to earn an AHL contract. Joey Bones, what are your thoughts?

Tough to say without having seen the guys actually play. Hodgson seems to have generated the most buzz.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I don't think they are certainties, but maybe some did enough to earn an AHL contract

most of the invites are too young for the NYR to sign this year
(they could sign to NHL ELC but there is little history of that)
the group is underwhelming,
if burning an ELC,
i might prefer a promising 18 year old with size, like Askew or Ottenbreit

only Hart is 21 so cannot go back to Jrs
and only Simpson, DiFruscia and the 2 J.Smith's are 20 already, eligible to sign AHL deals

9412 Jayden Hart ( C)
9504 Mark Simpson C
9504 Anthony DiFruscia (LW)
9603 Hayden Hodgson RW
9601 Zach Bratina LW
9605 Adam Brooks ( C)
9609 Brandon Linberg F
9701 Artem Artemov RW
9705 Cameron Askew ( C)

9504 Jerret Smith D
9707 Ottenbreit (D)

9505 Jake Smith (G)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, but just for the record. We don't need 6-8 kids to make it to the NHL from the current group. My point is just, if we last year had 5 "JT Millers" and 5 "John Moores" instead of one each, we aren't that much closer to a Cup. And neither will we be in 5 years if you get what I mean.

If we get a few players that can come in and really make a difference, then I think we get what we need and what can be expected for a team that has done well for a while. There are players in the system that potentially really can help us. Our farm is not as bad as it seems given that we do have a lot of spots in the NHL locked up long term and guys like Buch and Skjei are looking really good and a few others probably are a bit closer than many realize (Lindberg, McIlrath and co).

The way things have been going the Rangers like they have the last couple years will be cutting baiting with two or three guys next year. It's pretty much the cap. They've got to be able to replace those guys and need two or three kids to step in to the lineup every year. Some of our younger guys now maybe worthy NHL'ers but they haven't completely proven themselves. As I've mentioned I don't think Jesper Fast is 2nd line winger material but if he could up his point production and step into the role that Carl Hagelin provided he'll be a very valuable player for us. Miller and Etem need to step up their production as well--one of them should get a lot of prime 2nd line ice time.

Looking at the Rangers prospect depth that could possibly help them this year I see Lindberg, McIlrath, Skjei--maybe Hellberg. The Rangers for once seem to have a number of quality goalie prospects. Graves, Zamorsky, Andersson, Tambellini look to be the best players turning pro but anyone thinking any of them are ready now for the NHL is reaching hard. Hartford will have a number of not too young but younger veterans some with NHL experience. So I expect the team will fill the holes whenever a hole appears.

It's still one of the weaker prospect groups in the NHL.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The way things have been going the Rangers like they have the last couple years will be cutting baiting with two or three guys next year. It's pretty much the cap. They've got to be able to replace those guys and need two or three kids to step in to the lineup every year. Some of our younger guys now maybe worthy NHL'ers but they haven't completely proven themselves. As I've mentioned I don't think Jesper Fast is 2nd line winger material but if he could up his point production and step into the role that Carl Hagelin provided he'll be a very valuable player for us. Miller and Etem need to step up their production as well--one of them should get a lot of prime 2nd line ice time.

Looking at the Rangers prospect depth that could possibly help them this year I see Lindberg, McIlrath, Skjei--maybe Hellberg. The Rangers for once seem to have a number of quality goalie prospects. Graves, Zamorsky, Andersson, Tambellini look to be the best players turning pro but anyone thinking any of them are ready now for the NHL is reaching hard. Hartford will have a number of not too young but younger veterans some with NHL experience. So I expect the team will fill the holes whenever a hole appears.

It's still one of the weaker prospect groups in the NHL.

Cap problems will be easy to fix...

Dumping Girardi, Staal, and Nash will free up $19M in cap space. Add Klein to that and it's nearly $22M in cap space... Considering we have in house replacements for most of those players, I think we'll make it...

Jjksport

Jul 22, 2014
We have a weaker prospect pool because we traded away 1st, 2nds and players the last few years for runs at the cup.
Having prospects doesn't guarantee that they will become good or survivable NHL players.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Cap problems will be easy to fix...

Dumping Girardi, Staal, and Nash will free up $19M in cap space. Add Klein to that and it's nearly $22M in cap space... Considering we have in house replacements for most of those players, I think we'll make it...

We do? I'd be interested to know who you think is ready to fill those spots. I'm sure you'll say Buch can replace Nash, but it's a long way from 20 years old, still playing in Russia, to scoring 30+ goals in the NHL. Maybe Skjei can replace Staal at some point, but again, let's see him make the team first.

On the right side, who do we have? McIlrath? Andersson? Neither are close to playing top 4 let alone top 2 minutes. You trade Girardi and Klein, what's left? Boyle is 39 and probably playing his last year with the Rangers.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
We do? I'd be interested to know who you think is ready to fill those spots. I'm sure you'll say Buch can replace Nash, but it's a long way from 20 years old, still playing in Russia, to scoring 30+ goals in the NHL. Maybe Skjei can replace Staal at some point, but again, let's see him make the team first.

On the right side, who do we have? McIlrath? Andersson? Neither are close to playing top 4 let alone top 2 minutes. You trade Girardi and Klein, what's left? Boyle is 39 probably playing his last year with the Rangers.

exactly

we are spoiled around here having this defense that everyone is so eager to dismantle. adding guys like mcilrath and skjei sounds good, until they actually have to play 20 mins per game.

and the forwards ? we have maybe 1 impact guy who will fill a roster spot this season. the rest are all tweener guys who are bottom 6 talents, kids not nearly ready or retread/throwaways.

this organization is paying the price for poor drafting and trades including #1 draft picks. not saying the trades were poor or that we've swung and missed on all daft picks but we are certainly not in a good place when you look at our homegrown prospects.

i mean look at a few our best young CORE players.

mcdonagh was stolen from the habs

hayes was a chicago draft pick

zuc was an undrafted euro fa

brassard was part of the gaborik deal

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
exactly

we are spoiled around here having this defense that everyone is so eager to dismantle. adding guys like mcilrath and skjei sounds good, until they actually have to play 20 mins per game.

and the forwards ? we have maybe 1 impact guy who will fill a roster spot this season. the rest are all tweener guys who are bottom 6 talents, kids not nearly ready or retread/throwaways.

this organization is paying the price for poor drafting and trades including #1 draft picks. not saying the trades were poor or that we've swung and missed on all daft picks but we are certainly not in a good place when you look at our homegrown prospects.

i mean look at a few our best young CORE players.

mcdonagh was stolen from the habs

hayes was a chicago draft pick

zuc was an undrafted euro fa

brassard was part of the gaborik deal

True. Though in the past we also drafted Callahan, Dubi, Anisimov, Del Zotto, Staal, Stepan...

Not an A+ track record by any means, but they've found a good number of gems in the draft in the past, and as recently as when they took Duke, Buch and Tambo all in the same third round.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Is he preaching to the choir? Your stance is pretty far away from the "while maintaining a contender" part.

We disagree.
I have been saying go with the kids, and for the most part, IMO we would have been ok w/a guy like Miller being played more, making mistakes but growing and getting there faster than being jerked around, and winding up with young talent.

Too much deference to too many vets.
In reality, guys like Miler, mistakes and warts and all are the answers, not guys like Brad Richards.

Ehh I feel like if we were the Blackhawks you would have traded Kane and Toews for half of Edmonton about three years ago.
To a large extent that may be fair, but hey:

Kane + Toews
-------
McDavid, Hall, Draisatil, Nurse, Klefbom
and that does include RNH +.

:D:naughty:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

now we know - Hart and goalie Smith are only TC invites listed at NYR Training Camp

others 20+ could be invited to 'Pack camp

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Out of the 4 mentioned (before Traverse City), I personally would've said I would've liked to sign Jerret Smith. Is calm, cool and collective with the puck and, IMO, could be the next good UFA signee.

Now after Traverse City, I would have to put a little less emphasis on Smith and lead to the other Smith. Goalie Jacob Smith looked really good, besides a few lapses here and there. Think he was positionally sound and at times excelled under pressure. Think that Jayden Hart and Hayden Hodgson did well, too. Hodgson got a few goals under his belt, while Hart played mostly top 6 the whole tourney. Liked those 3 afterwards.

Side note- Jacob Smith and Jayden Hart are invites at the Rangers actual training camp.

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2015...ew-york-rangers-announce-training-camp-roster

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00