Prospect Info: Traverse City roster

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I really like what I saw from Zamorsky in the limited footage that was available last season and his goal today was amazing. He won't be ready for the NHL just yet, but he might be able to make it next year.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Most of the players in Traverse are closer to beer league than the NHL. There are some who couldn't even keep up in the ECHL.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I really like what I saw from Zamorsky in the limited footage that was available last season and his goal today was amazing. He won't be ready for the NHL just yet, but he might be able to make it next year.

Yeah, OTOH, a little disclaimer, what you have seen is what Zamorsky does really well. His game in other areas needs a lot of work. But I rather have that than someone that is weak/avg all over.

I like him because he simply has potential to make it. His one-timer and offensive game is so special that he gets maybe not a foot but a toe in already, players like him can develop the rest later in their careers. Like say a Rafalski did. To be cautious, it should be said that I at least wouldn't be prepared to bet the house on that he even establish himself in the AHL well. He needs a coach that believes in him and gives him an opportunity to grow. There are issues with his defensive game, no ifs or buts about that. He really need to grow a lot and fast to get to where he needs to be to play in the NHL. But as a starting point I definitely expects him to do well in the AHL and it will be exciting to see where this kid is in a year or two.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Defensemen blasting one-timers?!!! What is this sorcery?

Yeah it's really refreshing to see. With both these kids, the offensive game comes really natural.

On Andersson's goal, it's also great to see him make that first breakout pass under pressure. That is not an easy situation, he is under pressure when getting the puck and instead of turning back which most Ds would do he builds up speed with a few strides and takes the puck towards the forechecker despite a really thight neutral zone ahead of him and manage to avoid the forechecker and deliver a real good pass to the center.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Yeah it's really refreshing to see. With both these kids, the offensive game comes really natural.

It's easy to shoot if the goalie is on par with maybe an ECHL backup and the similarly crappy defensemen give you a perfect lane to shoot at when the goalie is out of position. Let's see what they can do in the AHL.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's easy to shoot if the goalie is on par with maybe an ECHL backup and the similarly crappy defensemen give you a perfect lane to shoot at when the goalie is out of position. Let's see what they can do in the AHL.

To his credit, he was beginning to show those same skills toward the end of his tenure in the Liiga last season and then excelled in the SHL. I think he combined for 6 goals and 15 points in 40 or so games. It's not like he's some unknown prospect, he's pretty accomplished for his age. Maybe he struggles in North America, but over his career he's faced much better than "ECHL backup" competition.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers need Buchnevich to make it. Nieves and Fogarty are seniors. They should be turning pro in the spring. Nieves should have an opportunity to play in the NHL based on his size,strength and skating ability. They have Tambellini in the AHL. Gropp missed the 2014 draft by one day. Gropp can play in the AHL next season. Iverson will turn pro next season. The Rangers need at least one player in that group to make it.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
To his credit, he was beginning to show those same skills toward the end of his tenure in the Liiga last season and then excelled in the SHL. I think he combined for 6 goals and 15 points in 40 or so games. It's not like he's some unknown prospect, he's pretty accomplished for his age. Maybe he struggles in North America, but over his career he's faced much better than "ECHL backup" competition.

Traverse is fun for the hockey-starved, but I always like to keep perspective here. It's a very low end hockey. Succeeding here means little. In a couple of weeks we'll have a much better idea where this guy stands because preseason games are of much higher caliber.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Traverse is fun for the hockey-starved, but I always like to keep perspective here. It's a very low end hockey. Succeeding here means little. In a couple of weeks we'll have a much better idea where this guy stands because preseason games are of much higher caliber.

Well yeah but it's what's being played now so it's being discussed. And a team like CLB had a lot of good prospects. NYR probably has the weakest offense so winning that game was good, though ultimately not terribly meaningful.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
From Craig Custance's article today

"When the Rangers took on the Blue Jackets prospects Monday, the New York lineup included 12 free-agent invites, compared to three for Columbus. The Blue Jackets had nine players selected in the first three rounds of the draft. The Rangers had four."

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
http://www.blueshirtsunited.com/article/traverse-city-day-3-rangers-pick-first-win-tournament

"It was a nice win for the guys. I thought we played really good today, the best hockey — the best we could play," Andersson told reporters after his goal and assist over Columbus. "It was a really good game for us and I think we should be proud."

"I like the fact that for three straight nights now we've shown pretty good improvement," head coach Ken Gernander said. "The first night I wasn't thrilled with some of our efforts, but each night it's gotten better and better, and consequently, our team has gotten better and better."

Gernander said Andersson and Zamorsky did not play Saturday due to their efforts Friday in a 5-2 loss to Minnesota. He said he was much happier with Andersson's effort Monday, especially after captain Brady Skjei was lost in the first period. Gernander said he has a "minor little ding" and that he was kept out to ensure he was ready for training camp on Friday.

"I thought tonight [Andersson's] effort and everything was better than what we saw in Game 1," Gernander said. "I don't think it's going to be a real significant learning curve or what have you for him in terms of the smaller rink or the North American game.

"He's a smart, heady player with some skill," Gernander continued. "He's going to have to learn to be a little more firmer and a little more physical. Little things like that."

Andersson himself said one of the reason he's here is to contribute offensively.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Not the trophy we are after. We all know our prospect pool is shallow and full of algae.

Plus we have a ton of prospects who weren't eligible, as all teams do. It's not really a tournament you should use to evaluate your pool as a whole, it's a small subset of guys that are really eligible.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Plus we have a ton of prospects who weren't eligible, as all teams do. It's not really a tournament you should use to evaluate your pool as a whole, it's a small subset of guys that are really eligible.

Basically CHL and USHL guys. All college are Euro-based guys have started their seasons already. I'm not too woried. It was awesome to see Gropp and Morrison in a Rangers jersey. I can't wait to watch them play live when I travel to Seattle

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
not a gernander fan.

sooner he's gone, the better off we will be in hartford.

looking forward to seeing andersson excel this season. he adds something we lack organization wide down on the farm, a smart, good skating, good frame, offensive dman who can play uptempo.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Don't care about the result, would have been interested to hear more about how the players were doing...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't think it's any secret that the Rangers have one of the weakest prospect pools in the NHL. Partly that's because the team has raised into a legit contender status and Sather and Gorton making last minute deals at the deadline to improve playoff hopes.

The Blackhawks have already been through a couple major player purges. They have however been able to hang on to most of their best picks and prospects and attract top shelf undrafted players (Panarin, Trevor Van Riemsdyk for instance) into the fold meanwhile winning cups along the way. The Blackhawks should be the model the Rangers use for going forward revamping their overall depth while at the same time hopefully maintaining contender status. The Hawks have done a great of maintaing the balance between being a perennial contender all the while injecting good young players into their farm system.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't think it's any secret that the Rangers have one of the weakest prospect pools in the NHL. Partly that's because the team has raised into a legit contender status and Sather and Gorton making last minute deals at the deadline to improve playoff hopes.

The Blackhawks have already been through a couple major player purges. They have however been able to hang on to most of their best picks and prospects and attract top shelf undrafted players (Panarin, Trevor Van Riemsdyk for instance) into the fold meanwhile winning cups along the way. The Blackhawks should be the model the Rangers use for going forward revamping their overall depth while at the same time hopefully maintaining contender status. The Hawks have done a great of maintaing the balance between being a perennial contender all the while injecting good young players into their farm system.

Agree that they're the model. It obviously helped that they sucked for so long and wound up with Kane and Toews, while we haven't had that luxury. It's what they've done since acquiring those two that provides the model for us though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad