Travel to Pittsburgh

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Hello - New to Pittsburgh and thinking about going to our first Pens game with our 4.5 year old daughter. Our daughter uses a walker to get around and we also use her stroller for long distances.

It looks like the accessable seating is almost always sold out and the one game we could get those tickets were out of our price range.

Questions we were hoping you could help us with:
1) What row do you enter in on the upper level to limit steps?
2) We know first aid is section 232 so looking to stay close to that section. Any tips on best parking lot to use for the entrance and elevator closest to 232. (We have a disabled parking placard)
3) Do you see any issues with us trying to bring the walker and stroller in and folding the walker in the seats and leaving the stroller in first aid?

Thank you for any tips.
I would call the ticket office, they will be able to help you best in terms of where is best for you sit. Hope you get to go and they pull out a win for you.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Hello - New to Pittsburgh and thinking about going to our first Pens game with our 4.5 year old daughter. Our daughter uses a walker to get around and we also use her stroller for long distances.

It looks like the accessable seating is almost always sold out and the one game we could get those tickets were out of our price range.

Questions we were hoping you could help us with:
1) What row do you enter in on the upper level to limit steps?
2) We know first aid is section 232 so looking to stay close to that section. Any tips on best parking lot to use for the entrance and elevator closest to 232. (We have a disabled parking placard)
3) Do you see any issues with us trying to bring the walker and stroller in and folding the walker in the seats and leaving the stroller in first aid?

Thank you for any tips.

Entrances to all sections are at the very top. I have seats in Row D in the 200s and have a decent trot to get to them. If there's a break in the action and isn't a commercial break I don't have enough time to get to them.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
If you wanna go drinking, Arsenal Cider House is great if you're into that - if you're into craft beer, there's a nice little cluster of breweries just across the river from you in Dancing Gnome/Grist House/Strange Roots/Hitchhiker. Cinderlands (by Arsenal) is pretty good too.

You forgot Brew Gentlemen. I know it's out of the way and nowhere near the rest but worth it. BG and DG are the best and in a class of their own. Then Grist/Hitchhiker. I haven't been to Strange Roots since the change.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Anyone know of an open hockey or rental they can get me into this weekend? Staying downtown and looking for a skate.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Making out bi-annual trip to Pittsburgh next month and going to see the Pens take on the San Jose Sharks. (Looking for tickets to the game, if anyone is selling.. Is there still a ticket exchange thread?)

We'll be there from Thursday to Saturday. We're looking for recommendations for things to do on Friday.
- Thursday we'll be driving there (from Philly) and going to the game in the evening.
- My wife LOVES sloths, so I am surprising her with a sloth encounter at the Aviary on Saturday and then we'll make our drive back after.

So that leaves Friday wide open, we've been to the Warhol museum and the Pittsburgh Zoo, what else are must do touristy things in Pittsburgh? Preferably on the cheaper side as I already dropped $$$ on the Sloth thing and will need to buy hockey tickets.

Thanks in advance!

Side Note: We don't drink, so bar recommendations wont do us much good :)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Making out bi-annual trip to Pittsburgh next month and going to see the Pens take on the San Jose Sharks. (Looking for tickets to the game, if anyone is selling.. Is there still a ticket exchange thread?)

We'll be there from Thursday to Saturday. We're looking for recommendations for things to do on Friday.
- Thursday we'll be driving there (from Philly) and going to the game in the evening.
- My wife LOVES sloths, so I am surprising her with a sloth encounter at the Aviary on Saturday and then we'll make our drive back after.

So that leaves Friday wide open, we've been to the Warhol museum and the Pittsburgh Zoo, what else are must do touristy things in Pittsburgh? Preferably on the cheaper side as I already dropped $$$ on the Sloth thing and will need to buy hockey tickets.

Thanks in advance!

Dinner here.

https://www.eat-gaucho.com/

But no reservations taken, so arrive before 4:45 pm or be prepared to wait a long time. They are closed on Sunday too.

If you like Museums (we do) the Carnegie is very very good. The sloth which the public sees who was born last year is named Vivien by the way.

The incline to Mount Washington is not the most exciting thing, but it is the image most associated with Pittsburgh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Thanks in advance!

Are you vegan or vegetarian?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm not, but I do enjoy both vegetarian and vegan dishes though if you have recommends for that.

There was someone on this board that would ask for suggestions but would then leave out the fact that they're vegan. :laugh:

B52 in Lawrenceville and Apteka in Garfield (or maybe it's Bloomfield) have some pretty good vegan food.

But if you're up for meat, go to Gaucho like @Jaded-Fan suggested.

And if you like breakfast diners, check out Pamela's and get their hotcakes. They sell like hotcakes.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
There was someone on this board that would ask for suggestions but would then leave out the fact that they're vegan. :laugh:

B52 in Lawrenceville and Apteka in Garfield (or maybe it's Bloomfield) have some pretty good vegan food.

But if you're up for meat, go to Gaucho like @Jaded-Fan suggested.

And if you like breakfast diners, check out Pamela's and get their hotcakes. They sell like hotcakes.

I actually do not eat meat, but do eat fish and GP is great for that as well.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008

I just saw The Zimmern list on Travel Channel where he visited Apteka. it looked fantastic!

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Question: where in relation to the Greyhound station is the arena (is it on the downtown side of the river or the stadium side) and are there cheap hostels in the city accessible via public trans (hoping there are given there are several colleges in the city)? Would like to check out an NHL arena I have never visited before (preferably when either the Sabres or Isles are in town). Even better if Pitt football or basketball are playing the same day and can do a doubleheader.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Question: where in relation to the Greyhound station is the arena (is it on the downtown side of the river or the stadium side) and are there cheap hostels in the city accessible via public trans (hoping there are given there are several colleges in the city)? Would like to check out an NHL arena I have never visited before (preferably when either the Sabres or Isles are in town). Even better if Pitt football or basketball are playing the same day and can do a doubleheader.

The Greyhound station is within walking distance of the arena. It's "downtown".

As far as hostels go, no idea. But this place looks decent:

SOUTH SIDE TRAVELER'S REST - Updated 2019 Hostel Reviews (Pittsburgh, PA) - TripAdvisor

Maybe try couch surfing?

Reactions: sabremike

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Hello Pittsburgh:

I will be in your fine city from the 8th of September until the 13th. I will be mostly in the DT area without a car. What can I do to entertain myself? Great restaurants (nothing fancy, I want the local flavour I dont care if its a dive)? Museums or places of interest I shouldn't miss?

TIA!

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Hello Pittsburgh:

I will be in your fine city from the 8th of September until the 13th. I will be mostly in the DT area without a car. What can I do to entertain myself? Great restaurants (nothing fancy, I want the local flavour I dont care if its a dive)? Museums or places of interest I shouldn't miss?

TIA!
If you're downtown, the following will all be walkable or a short Uber ride away:

Museums: Heinz history center, mattress factory, Warhol museum

Food: Original Primanti's in the strip district, Burgatory. The best places downtown are more high end but those are good spots

Other: Ride the duquesne incline, walk around Point State park

Reactions: White Out 902

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pamela's Diner is uniquely Pittsburgh. Very good thin crispy buttery pancakes. Haven't had anything like them anywhere else.

tmg-venue_carousel_mobile.jpg

Pamela's Diner! | Welcome to (P&G) Pamela's Diner

Last edited:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I remember going to an Italian restaurant that was directly off one of the bridges. Can’t remember what it was called. But there was a big graffiti painting outside on the wall

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Thanks in advance!

If you have a car and feel like seeing something remarkable Falling Waters is worth the hour or so trip.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Hello Pittsburgh:

TIA!

Places that I've enjoyed downtown are:

Condado (taco place and bar)
Sammy's (sandwich place and bar -- I've only had drinks here, it's not what I'd call a dive but it has that vibe)
Emporio (meatball place and bar -- the second floor is a pizza place and the third floor is a rooftop bar)
Cafe Milano (pizza place and bar)
tako (trendy taco place and bar)

That's off the top of my head for now.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
If you're downtown, the following will all be walkable or a short Uber ride away:

Museums: Heinz history center, mattress factory, Warhol museum

Food: Original Primanti's in the strip district, Burgatory. The best places downtown are more high end but those are good spots

Other: Ride the duquesne incline, walk around Point State park

These are all good recs. Carnegie Museum of Art in Oakland is also an easy bus/lyft as well.

Sammy's (sandwich place and bar -- I've only had drinks here, it's not what I'd call a dive but it has that vibe)
Emporio (meatball place and bar -- the second floor is a pizza place and the third floor is a rooftop bar)
Cafe Milano (pizza place and bar)

That's off the top of my head for now.

I swing by Sammy's a lot for cheap drinks. Definitely very "Pittsburgh heavy."

Hello Pittsburgh:

TIA!

The good news is PGH fairly small, so even if you wanted to check out a place like Lawrenceville (Driftwood Oven there has some great pizza, local spot, great owners), it's a quick bus/lyft, or even a 30-40 minute walk through the Strip District if the weather is nice. You can stop an Cinderlands on the way, which has some great beer.

Also, for something completely different not yet mentioned, Arcade Comedy Theater is downtown and usually has some pretty solid shows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad