GDT: Training Camp

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
But the questions is: would you take Bogosian or Hedman over a number one centre with elite playmaking skills? Young d-men take much longer to reach their potential and are generally less predictable than forwards, especially in their offensive capabilities.

Would I take hedman or Bogo over lindholm?

Well......yes. Both are on their way to being top pairing guys in a position we've always needed more than offense, and I've never though of lindholm as a number one center. It's conceivable but it's not how he was hyped pre draft from what I read.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Well......yes. Both are on their way to being top pairing guys in a position we've always needed more than offense, and I've never though of lindholm as a number one center. It's conceivable but it's not how he was hyped pre draft from what I read.

Craig Button and Corey Pronman both called him a future #1 center, for whatever that's worth. Bob Mac had him as #5 before the draft, ahead of Monahan who most see as a #1. Talentwise he's pretty similar to Nick Backstrom, but he plays with a little bit more intensity and some grit. I see him as a guy with pretty high upside, but still a fairly safe pick. He definitely has what it takes to become a very good player, but not everyone gets there of course. I would certainly not trade him for Hedman or Bogosian without giving him a season or two first, it would be a very risky move right now.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Muller is saying Skinner should be back at practice tomorrow. So that means about a week right? :sarcasm:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula

He certainly was thought of as having elite skills and was just a notch below Barkov. Definitely looked upon as having number one center potential.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I read multiple reports that said lindholm was likely not to be a ppg player, more of a solid pesky two way guy. Likely a number two center at best, with the outside shot he could push for a number one.

I'd still take either of those defenseman on this team over him today. I like lindholm. I'm glad we took him. Either hedman or Bogo would likely be our number one d, and we suck at d. It's a no brainer. If either of these two were available at the draft at the five hole this year, I think jr would've taken them. He almost took nurse.

Lindholm has an uphill climb to be a number one center, and he's a pretty big leap away from backstrom at this point. He didn't look quite as skilled as backstrom at the wjc's, compared to backstrom at the same age. Backstrom was drafted as a number one from day one, different expectations on lindholm. He's a great prospect, but elite number one center is a stretch at this point.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Remember when this draft was all-time great!? Now the #5 pick is a #2 Center at best.

Like driving the car out of the lot, once the players get picked, their value seems to drop 50%.

MD

Dec 1, 2009
NC
I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but from all reports i've seen, Lindholm has been compared favorably to Backstrom. If you consider Backstrom a "#2 center at best" then i guess i agree with you...

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I read multiple reports that said lindholm was likely not to be a ppg player, more of a solid pesky two way guy. Likely a number two center at best, with the outside shot he could push for a number one.

I'd still take either of those defenseman on this team over him today. I like lindholm. I'm glad we took him. Either hedman or Bogo would likely be our number one d, and we suck at d. It's a no brainer. If either of these two were available at the draft at the five hole this year, I think jr would've taken them. He almost took nurse.

Lindholm has an uphill climb to be a number one center, and he's a pretty big leap away from backstrom at this point. He didn't look quite as skilled as backstrom at the wjc's, compared to backstrom at the same age. Backstrom was drafted as a number one from day one, different expectations on lindholm. He's a great prospect, but elite number one center is a stretch at this point.
I wonder which reports you read that said Lindholm is not likely to become a PPG player. Because I read these three (among others) and they all point to him having PPG potential.
http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/6/6/4401998/elias-lindholm-draft-comparables
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1520
http://flamesnation.ca/2013/5/8/top-30-draft-prospect-nhl-equivalencies

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I wonder which reports you read that said Lindholm is not likely to become a PPG player. Because I read these three (among others) and they all point to him having PPG potential.
http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/6/6/4401998/elias-lindholm-draft-comparables
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1520
http://flamesnation.ca/2013/5/8/top-30-draft-prospect-nhl-equivalencies

Would I lie? you're unfamiliar with me. Hockey news here. I saw this multiple times in different places. Two of yours look like fan based blogs. Maybe all three.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 23

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Honestly, if that's all Lindholm turns out to be, I'd be fine with it. There's nothing wrong with being a good #2 center (not saying you said there is).

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Would I lie? you're unfamiliar with me. Hockey news here. I saw this multiple times in different places. Two of yours look like fan based blogs. Maybe all three.

Not saying he's definitely going to turn into an elite center but he does have the skill to get there. Your source cites the opinion of one scout who does not think Lindholm will score 80 points in the NHL. On the other hand, what Lindholm did in SEL last year is very impressive and certainly suggestive that he has the talent for more. His performance ranks 4th all-time ahead of his countryman Backstrom. Yes, the SEL is not as strong now so the comparable is not straightforward but still the numbers are impressive. To suggest that he'll never score 80 points seem pretty baseless at this point in his career.

Here's what HF has to say about him
Talent Analysis

Lindholm is an extremely talented player who is already an important offensive contributor for his top men’s league team. Possesses incredible hands, stickhandling skills and passing capabilities for a player his age. Displays well above-average ability to read and understand the game. Elias is strong at side-stepping checks and interpreting where opponents intend to pass or where they plan on skating, taking advantage of this to often pick off passes or hold up opposing skaters. Makes wonderful use of the ice and is strong in transition.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Not saying he's definitely going to turn into an elite center but he does have the skill to get there. Your source cites the opinion of one scout who does not think Lindholm will score 80 points in the NHL. On the other hand, what Lindholm did in SEL last year is very impressive and certainly suggestive that he has the talent for more. His performance ranks 4th all-time ahead of his countryman Backstrom. Yes, the SEL is not as strong now so the comparable is not straightforward but still the numbers are impressive. To suggest that he'll never score 80 points seem pretty baseless at this point in his career.

Here's what HF has to say about him

What are we debating? I thought it was whether or not it would be smarter for the canes to have a potential top pairing dman vs a young prospect who may be a second line center, may be less, may be more. Instead you're trying to convince me oilers fans who watch YouTube and the wjc's know that lindholm will be a ppg number one center. I'm confused.

You wanted me to provide you someone saying he would less than a ppg top center. I did. With the only really verified source we're taking about, which uses actual scouts. Instead of accepting there are contrary opinions you try to discredit a valid source and give more fan based sources. Who cares? Obviously my point is made that not everyone thinks he's gonna be that guy. Doesn't mean he's gonna suck, just maybe that we need to keep the expectations in check.

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I think one of the things that's leading to this debate is that we've seen exactly *zero* of the talent that people claim is oozing from Lindholm's pores. It will be easier to debate his ceiling when we've seen more than Tommy Westlund.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I agree 100%. Too many opinions based on internet quotes from fans acting like scouts, actual scouts, and YouTube. Not enough on actual play at the nhl level. We don't know squat about him yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad