GDT: Training Camp

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681934

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced the roster for the team’s 2013 training camp, to be held in Raleigh. The Hurricanes have invited 48 players to their main camp, including four goaltenders, 17 defensemen and 27 forwards. Find the training camp roster by clicking here.

Twelve players who represented the Hurricanes during this week’s NHL Prospects Tournament in Traverse City, MI, will join the main camp: forwards Elias Lindholm, Brody Sutter, Victor Rask, Brock McGinn, Brendan Woods and Sergey Tolchinsky; and defensemen Danny Biega, Keegan Lowe, Trevor Carrick, Austin Levi and Beau Schmitz.

The Hurricanes will open training camp with player physicals on Sept. 11, and then hit the ice for their first official practices at PNC Arena on Thursday, Sept. 12, beginning at 9 a.m. The team will play its first preseason game on Wednesday, Sept. 18, at PNC Arena against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Murphy not mentioned, but surely it's just an oversight.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
What do you expect out of Victor Rask this season? Make the team? top 6? third line? fourth line? AHL ? he's a player that I have high hopes for. Certainly one of swedens best players in the WJC last season.

bluedevil58*

What do you expect out of Victor Rask this season? Make the team? top 6? third line? fourth line? AHL ? he's a player that I have high hopes for. Certainly one of swedens best players in the WJC last season.

He will continue to develop on the AHL and be called up on. I don't see him cracking the line up with all the legit bottom 6 talent that we have.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Interesting to note that they have Gerbe, Lindholm, Jordan, Skinner, Ruutu, Dalpe, Palushaj, Tolchinsky, and McGinn all part of the same group. Good setup for plenty of line experimentation, though I fully expect Tolchinsky and McGinn to head back to the OHL after camp. Almost would have expected Rask to be in that mix too, though he and Nash are on Team Eric.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I wouldn't read too much into who is in which group. If you remember, last season the Canes started the season with Boychuk on the first line, Dalpe on the 2nd line and Tlusty on the 3rd line...and that changed quickly.

If what Muller said last year holds true again for this year, he wants some scoring from that 3rd line (which is why he tried Tlusty there in the first place).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I like that. Hopefully Lindholm and Skinner show some chemistry, because that's a pretty decent 2nd/3rd line combo. Neither is overly dominant, but you can't ignore one to play the other tight and get away with it either.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Alright, I know I said don't read too much into it, but it sounds like on day 1 at least, they are trying out:

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Ruutu-J.Staal-Dalpe
Skinner-Lindholm-Dvorak
Bowman-Nash-Dwyer

Sekera-Faulk
Gleason-Komi
Harrison-Murphy

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Man, Gleason-Komi. Either that would be "so stupid it could work" in the Gleason-Allen sense or JR REALLY needs to get Hainsey (or Gilbert) into camp in a hurry.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Alright, I know I said don't read too much into it, but it sounds like on day 1 at least, they are trying out:

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Ruutu-J.Staal-Dalpe
Skinner-Lindholm-Dvorak
Bowman-Nash-Dwyer

Sekera-Faulk
Gleason-Komi
Harrison-Murphy

Love those forward lines! Defence..........umm.......not so much.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Man, Gleason-Komi. Either that would be "so stupid it could work" in the Gleason-Allen sense or JR REALLY needs to get Hainsey (or Gilbert) into camp in a hurry.

That's where I saw this going if no one else was brought in. It's not good, but could work. Probably wont, but could.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think it all depends on what kind of player Komisarek is. He's not very old, and obviously doesn't have a lot of miles on his legs the last couple years..but it's a big unknown.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
@ice_chip: Tolchinsky has minor injury from Traverse City. Muller says he dinged it again today. Didn't want to leave practice but Muller sent him off

@ice_chip: JStaal working on line with Dalpe, Ruutu. Lindholm with Skinner, Dvorak.

@ice_chip: Gerbe will miss couple of days, Muller says, for personal reasons.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
@MSmithCanes: Lindholm holding his own in these corner/net battle drills. Showing no ill-effects from shoulder that I can see.

@MSmithCanes: Second group lines: Ruutu-J. Staal-Dalpe, Skinner-Lindholm, Dvorak, McGinn-Sutter-Westgarth, Palushaj-Woods-Tolchinsky.

@MSmithCanes: Second group D-pairs: Gleason-Komisarek, Harrison-Murphy, Carrick-Rissanen, Flood-Schmitz.

@MSmithCanes: Khudobin said in 6 seasons in North America, he hasn't had Russian teammate. Said "feels great to talk a little bit in my own language."

@MSmithCanes: #TeamEric lines? Tlusty-E. Staal-Semin, Bowman-Nash-Dwyer, Blanchard-Welsh-Terry, Boychuk-Rask/Bro. Sutter-Ja. Staal

@MSmithCanes: D-pairs on #TeamEric so far: Sekera-Faulk, Jordan-Bellemore, Lowe-Corrente, Levi-Biega

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
So:
Tlusty / Eric / Semin
Dalpe / Jordan / Ruutu
Skinner / Lindholm / Dvorak
McGinn / Sutter / Westgarth
Palushaj / Woods / Tolchinsky
Bowman / Nash / Dwyer
Blanchard / Welsh / Terry
Boychuk / Rask / Bro Sutter and Jared

Sekera / Faulk
Gleason / Komi
Harrison / Murphy
Carrick / Rissanen
Flood / Schmitz
Jordan / Bellemore
Lowe / Corrente
Levi / Biega

Interesting line ups.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Skinner/Lindholm/Dvorak! Wouldnt mind seeing that as a 3rd line all year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad