Confirmed with Link: Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think Bennett is still going to end up like Couturier. I know most do not, that’s fine. But we’ve seen the levels he can play at, his issue has always been consistency. I think he will figure it out this year, consistency. Then the full season after that, he will record around 70pts.

He’s on the exact same path as Couturier, but the question is if he can find that consistency in his game to take that next step. I’m honestly not sure if he can, it seems to be mental.

I think the biggest key to getting Bennett to have some consistency is to put him at center and keep him there. His game is so poorly suited for the wing (which we've seen time and again), but perfect for center.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case based on today's lines:

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
#Flames look like this in group one today:

Mangiapane-Backlund-Bennett
Lucic-Ryan-Dube
Petterssen-Gawdin-Philp
Kirkland-Ruzicka-Phillips

Giordano-Tanev
Mackey-Petrovic
Lerby-Stone

Markstrom
Zagidulin

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
We don’t have a Philip in camp. First the Flames roster sent out yesterday and now that tweet. Put some respect on the Philp name

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
I think the biggest key to getting Bennett to have some consistency is to put him at center and keep him there. His game is so poorly suited for the wing (which we've seen time and again), but perfect for center.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case based on today's lines:

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
#Flames look like this in group one today:

Lucic-Ryan-Dube
Petterssen-Gawdin-Philp
Kirkland-Ruzicka-Phillips

Giordano-Tanev
Mackey-Petrovic
Lerby-Stone

Markstrom
Zagidulin
I agree 100% that’s most of the problem, but I have a gut feeling there’s a bit more to it. It could be a confidence thing because they give him such a short leash.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Trying to glean anything from the line combos this early on is a fools errand. Interesting to follow but I don’t think much can be gathered from it at this point.
I would normally agree, but with how short training camp is this year, I would be surprised if they wasted a day with combos they weren't considering.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
He’s on the exact same path as Couturier, but the question is if he can find that consistency in his game to take that next step. I’m honestly not sure if he can, it seems to be mental.
100% agree. His career, thus far, is almost a mirror image to Doug Couturier.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Gio-Tanev is a pairing I would never want to see

Why not? Just as an aside but hanifin-tanev seems too similar to hanifin-hamonic for me. If tanev isn’t even capable of playing with gio than this contract is even worse than I thought.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Why not? Just as an aside but hanifin-tanev seems too similar to hanifin-hamonic for me. If tanev isn’t even capable of playing with gio than this contract is even worse than I thought.
Footspeed. This pairing would get killed in road matchups

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Footspeed. This pairing would get killed in road matchups

Our top 4 is all slow players and meh skaters outside of hanifin (though even I find his straight line to be nothing special). I find this concerning in general but not something we can fix at this point.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Ward obviously trying some things out in an attempt to role 4 lines fairly evenly.
Two strong players with a weaker player on every line

Last edited:

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Obviously it's the first day of camp so things are gonna change but to summarize both tweets this what the NHL group looks like after day 1:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Leivo
Gaudreau-Monahan-Simon
Lucic-Ryan-Dube

Giordano-Tanev
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Nesterov

Markstrom
Rittich

Reactions: Mazatt

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Looks like Ward spent the summer watching Johnny-Monahan-Hudler footage.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Got to shake off the rust and get ready for another season of complaining about coaching.

giphy.gif

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
This team will live and die with monahan and gaudreau I guess.

I think there are better options than Simon, but I digress. Swap Bennett and mangiapane and I don’t mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad