Training Camp Thread | Warning Post #456 | Oilers Trim Roster Post #647

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koto

May 3, 2011
imo Yakupov already has taken the RW spot next to McDavid. The only thing is that they weren't playing with Hall at that point. I think it was Draisaitl up there once Hall left the game. That was a good line.

that's exactly what I thought. Yakupov actually played better than hall on that line in my opinion, could get interesting

Yeah i'd much rather yakupov play with good players, hall can still produce carrying garbage on his line.

Wednesdays game is listed on TSN3. Will that be blacked out in Edm?

yes, that is a WPG regional broadcast.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yeah i'd much rather yakupov play with good players, hall can still produce carrying garbage on his line
Isn't that a problem though? That Yak can only produce in lots of peoples eyes with good players.

I'm loving Yak in camp so far but they are just trying things out right now. Yak will see a lot of pp time either way and playing a bit lower 5v5 might be beneficial to his 2 way game. As long as McLellan gives him pp time he will be fine.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think the RW spot on the Mcdavid line will be a constant rotation of Draisaitl, Yakupov, Purcell and Eberle. I'm not a fan of Draisaitl playing on the RW, he's so good defensively that I'd rather have him at 3C with PP time.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think the RW spot on the Mcdavid line will be a constant rotation of Draisaitl, Yakupov, Purcell and Eberle. I'm not a fan of Draisaitl playing on the RW, he's so good defensively that I'd rather have him at 3C with PP time.

It seems like such a waste to keep a player of Draisaitl's talents there long term though. Either we're converting him to wing or one of him and RNH are going in the next few years.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Lander is also very strong defensively and is off to a nice start in camp for a change.

McDeathbyCheerios*

He is better suited to the right wing then the left. Watch him play. He rushes up the right. Loves his back hand and he often scores goals from the right or crossing right to left.

Also don't we want a defensively responsible top 6. Both McDavid and Drai are so that gives us a well rounded but highly skilled top 6 for once.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It seems like such a waste to keep a player of Draisaitl's talents there long term though. Either we're converting him to wing or one of him and RNH are going in the next few years.

Take a look at San Jose's lineup the last few years - Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, and Couture are all natural C's. It's a good problem to have and it's not one that necessarily ends in 'someone's gone'

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
He is better suited to the right wing then the left. Watch him play. He rushes up the right. Loves his back hand and he often scores goals from the right or crossing right to left.

Also don't we want a defensively responsible top 6. Both McDavid and Drai are so that gives us a well rounded but highly skilled top 6 for once.

I've noticed this too. Draisaitl would be best served as a RWer in my opinion. I think we should keep the Poo/RNH/Ebs line together with the second line being Hall/McD/Drai. That is a fairly defensively responsible top 6.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I've noticed this too. Draisaitl would be best served as a RWer in my opinion. I think we should keep the Poo/RNH/Ebs line together with the second line being Hall/McD/Drai. That is a fairly defensively responsible top 6.
I'd love a pk with McD and Drai..so many shorties

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

It's a good problem to have. Draisaitl is the perfect style of center for the Western Conference. I think we'll see constant line juggling this season. I'm just not a fan of players on their off wing unless they're a sniper type of player.

McDeathbyCheerios*

It's a good problem to have. Draisaitl is the perfect style of center for the Western Conference. I think we'll see constant line juggling this season. I'm just not a fan of players on their off wing unless they're a sniper type of player.
I'm not either but most of Draisaitl playmaking comes from his back hand which would put him on the right side of the ice. So instead of constantly having him just switch sides on the ice, just put him there.

Koto

May 3, 2011

and it completes the conversion of 1st OA pick yakupov into 3rd line plug which has been the aim of the organization since krueger left.

pretty soon we'll trade him for a 2nd, only to see him score 30 with his new team.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Purcell didn't get hurt last night, he got removed from the Lines he was on for being brutal. He was benched, its why he's in group B

When did he get benched? I only got to watch till the game froze with what 6 mins left? I know he played with Lander and Yak to start the 3rd but he played a regular shift with them.

Can I have a link to benched and group b?

Thanks

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Take a look at San Jose's lineup the last few years - Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, and Couture are all natural C's. It's a good problem to have and it's not one that necessarily ends in 'someone's gone'

Definitely agree with this. In many cases Centers are just more adaptable, are used to more responsibility, and can play elsewhere.

In soccer a midfielder can move up as well. Or down. If you have a lot of natural midfielders you're going to have a team that can battle a lot and pressure the ball.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I heard Drai took lots of faceoffs yesterday even without playing center, and he won the majority. Most of the offensive zone were his while Lander took defensive zone draws. There's value in that whether he's playing with Lander or McDavid.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
I guess the days of showing up for camp. Coasting up and down the ice, and start on the 2nd line are over. (It's refreshing to see)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think people are making too much out of this LW, RW, C for Leon.

We have a lot of competition and its still way too early to even say for sure Leon will make the team.

Right now tho Leon has looked good to great in every position. Hell it wouldn't surprise me if he could play goal and defense too.

All it means is the Oiler have some solid options and are slightly less prone to being derailed due to injury. Its great.

As training season continues if he Leon just keeps on shining I would use him on any line that doesn't seem to be working. Doesn't matter which line, if he can improve it while the others do their thing as well that's the best spot for him.

McDeathbyCheerios*

So Purcell has a minor injury...damn..now he has an excuse

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
and it completes the conversion of 1st OA pick yakupov into 3rd line plug which has been the aim of the organization since krueger left.

pretty soon we'll trade him for a 2nd, only to see him score 30 with his new team.

Yakupov will be gone by summer. The team has wanted a 1 shot scorer type for years, finally drafted one and have completely wasted the asset. Once he's traded all you'll hear about is how the team needs to find a sniper for all their playmaking centers. He hasn't shown enough to be ahead of Eberle on the depth chart but it's a slap in the face to have him behind Purcell in the depth chart. Purcell is a soon to be UFA that provides absolutely nothing but secondary assists. It's still only preseason but if Yakupov's most common linemates next year are Lander and Korpikowski then the team needs to let him go.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Can we stop *****ing and moaning about poor Yak.

Everyone right now has a clean slate under McLellan. If he doesn't end up getting moved up the line up then there is a good reason for it.

But no if that happens we will cry and say if only Yak had better players he would be an all star and hr only isn't getting moved up cause he is Russian.

Fact of the matter is now it's the time to prove your worth Yak, I hope he does but right now the only person that can hold him back is himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad