Training Camp Thread | Warning Post #456 | Oilers Trim Roster Post #647

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
On-ice sessions: September 18-20 at Leduc Recreation Centre

Pre-season schedule:
September 21 - @/vs. Calgary Flames (split squad game)
September 23 - vs. Winnipeg Jets
September 25 - @ Winnipeg Jets
September 26 - vs. Minnesota Wild (Saskatoon)
September 29 - vs. Arizona Coyotes
October 1 - vs. Vancouver Canucks
October 3 - @ Vancouver Canucks

Roster:

Goaltenders: (6)
Laurent Brossoit
Eetu Laurikainen
Anders Nilsson
Ty Rimmer
Ben Scrivens
Cam Talbot

Defencemen: (20)
Ethan Bear
Ben Betker
Brandon Davidson
Mark Fayne
Andrew Ference
Brad Hunt
Oscar Klefbom
Martin Gernat
Eric Gryba
Caleb Jones
Joey LaLeggia
Loik Leveille
David Musil
Nikita Nikitin
Darnell Nurse
Jordan Oesterle
Griffin Reinhart
Justin Schultz
Andrej Sekera
Dillon Simpson

Forwards: (33)
Greg Chase
Braden Christoffer
Leon Draisaitl
Jordan Eberle
Matthew Ford
Luke Gazdic
Taylor Hall
Ryan Hamilton
Matt Hendricks
Kale Kessy
Jujhar Khaira
Rob Klinkhammer
Lauri Korpikoski
Anton Lander
Mark Letestu
Alexis Loiseau
Connor McDavid
Phil McRae
Andrew Miller
Mitch Moroz
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Iiro Pakarinen
Tyler Pitlick
Kyle Platzer
Benoit Pouliot
Teddy Purcell
Connor Rankin
Marco Roy
Cole Sanford
Anton Slepyshev
Josh Winquist
Bogdan Yakimov
Nail Yakupov

Leveille and Sanford are the only invitees on the roster.

--

Last edited by a moderator:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Im going to guess at the next set of cuts after the split game.

Leveille, Sanford, Jones, Bear, Rankin, Loiseau, and E2.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Here is who I will be watching closely:

Goaltenders:
Anders Nilsson
Cam Talbot

Defencemen:

David Musil
Nikita Nikitin
Darnell Nurse
Jordan Oesterle
Griffin Reinhart
Justin Schultz

Forwards:
Leon Draisaitl
Jujhar Khaira
Lauri Korpikoski
Mark Letestu
Connor McDavid - DUH
Tyler Pitlick
Bogdan Yakimov
Nail Yakupov

These players are going to have interesting years, good or bad, I think.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So did anybody win the tickets to attend TC in Leduc rec center of all places which can't even facilitate a good crowd?

Hope people realize you can't go to attend this years TC unless you won passes.

What a year for the oilers to hold TC in one of the smallest capacity facilities. They just got 15K attendance for the Bears game which should be indication of the demand.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
I've got tickets for Mondays game in Calgary.

I know the odds are probably slim, but what are the chances of McDavid being on the split squad team playing in Calgary?

What's been the teams history? When our other 1st OA's have played split squad, do they usually play @ Rexall historically?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wonder what's up with the lack of veteran invites. I know money's tight but its always good to have a little more competition at training camp. Makes you wonder if they'll have their eyes on the waiver wire. There are some notable guys who might fall through the cracks over the next couple weeks.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

I see Roy going down and Rankin or Loiseau staying up.

Not playing Roy in the Bears game is a pretty telling sign.

I thought Loiseau looked great in the Jets game and OK in the Bears game. He should get a bit more time.

Rankin was all over the place for me. He's still kind of in junior mode. Trying tricky plays that either work and look great or end in a big hit or a bad giveaway. He needs some ECHL time for sure.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

I'd bet there's a lot more than that. They're keeping a lot of these guys just because of the split squad game, but from the sounds of it management wants to get the opening night roster together asap. Also think Leveille might stick a bit longer too, really think he's in consideration for a contract.

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I wonder what's up with the lack of veteran invites. I know money's tight but its always good to have a little more competition at training camp. Makes you wonder if they'll have their eyes on the waiver wire. There are some notable guys who might fall through the cracks over the next couple weeks.

There is such a logjam with prospects on the cusp of the NHL that I think the club just feels it needs to see what they have in Gryba (not a prospect but fringe NHL dman)/Reinhart/Nurse/Draisatl/Pitlick

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
A year removed from being drafted out of junior, and Keven Bouchard doesn't even get a camp invite.

If that doesn't tell him in plain english where he stands on the goaltending totem pole, I don't know what would.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I see Roy going down and Rankin or Loiseau staying up.

Not playing Roy in the Bears game is a pretty telling sign.

I thought Loiseau looked great in the Jets game and OK in the Bears game. He should get a bit more time.

Rankin was all over the place for me. He's still kind of in junior mode. Trying tricky plays that either work and look great or end in a big hit or a bad giveaway. He needs some ECHL time for sure.

I just think TM is going to take a different approach then the past. Why keep players if they arent challenging for a spot?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

I know the odds are probably slim, but what are the chances of McDavid being on the split squad team playing in Calgary?

What's been the teams history? When our other 1st OA's have played split squad, do they usually play @ Rexall historically?

I'm driving 6.5 hours from out of town to be at that split squad game as well (in Edmonton, not Calgary). Generally in the split squad games the home teams have the better roster, so I think McDavid will likely be there, but if not that's fine as well. So many players I'm excited to see.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

McLellan has said he wants to get down to reasonable numbers quickly, I think cuts will happen pretty quickly.

20 defencemen and 33 forwards is a bit ridiculous :laugh: even with split squad games just over half of them will play.

I think you're right with that group plus the AHL bound guys like McRae etc.

I also think Leveille leaves with a shiny new ELC. The Oilers have the contract space, plus he'd slide for 2 years.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Seems like a pretty large camp roster even without some pro invites.

I wonder how much of a shot Yakimov has at making the Oilers.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The feeling I get after listening to previous McLellan snippets is that the team's not going to screw around, they're going to get down to a workable preseason roster fairly quickly so they can be ready as can be for the season.

I for one welcome this.

That being said, with 8 preseason games (2 of them split squad) by necessity they're going to have to keep at least some cannon fodder around to fill out roster spots so you don't have the main guys playing every preseason game.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
So did anybody win the tickets to attend TC in Leduc rec center of all places which can't even facilitate a good crowd?

Hope people realize you can't go to attend this years TC unless you won passes.

What a year for the oilers to hold TC in one of the smallest capacity facilities. They just got 15K attendance for the Bears game which should be indication of the demand.

I actually think it's a good idea to have it in a smaller facility.

Fewer distractions will better facilitate teaching and training.

Think of Rocky IV when he went to Siberia to train for his fight with Drago haha.

Logical McNonsense

Jul 3, 2015
Medicine Hat, AB

Im in the same boat, really hoping they play him in Calgary but i doubt it.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

Went last year, all players fans want to see are at home usually, flames did likewise keeping most intriguing players in Calgary, we dominated in Edmonton, they dominated in Calgary obviously. If I'm not mistaken that's the way it mostly is. You still will get to see a few good players in Calgary but highly doubt one of them is mcdavid

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I just think TM is going to take a different approach then the past. Why keep players if they arent challenging for a spot?

Agreed, Eakins made the mistake of keeping a large camp roster around way too long and our first 10 games showed it. Need our studs to play a few games together.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I actually think it's a good idea to have it in a smaller facility.

Fewer distractions will better facilitate teaching and training.

Think of Rocky IV when he went to Siberia to train for his fight with Drago haha.

Yeah, I think you are right. That is probably what they are looking at. I am looking as selfish self interest and seeing more of the scrimmages this year. I always like TC as I will miss it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad