Training Camp Thread - First round of Cuts Made (10 players)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
For those curious remaining....

Bolded the ones I think will go next,

NAME POSITION
SPENCER ABBOTT F
CARTER ASHTON F
TYLER BIGGS F
TROY BODIE F
DAVID BOOTH F
TYLER BOZAK F
DAVID BROLL F
CONNOR BROWN F
SAM CARRICK F
DAVID CLARKSON F
JAMIE DEVANE F
MATT FRATTIN F
FREDERIK GAUTHIER F
PETER HOLLAND F
NAZEM KADRI F
PHIL KESSEL F
LEO KOMAROV F
PETRI KONTIOLA F
BRANDON KOZUN F
JOSH LEIVO F
JOFFREY LUPUL F
GREG MCKEGG F
FRAZER MCLAREN F
CARSON MCMILLAN F
WILLIAM NYLANDER F
COLTON ORR F
BRAD ROSS F
MIKE SANTORELLI F
TREVOR SMITH F
JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK F
DANIEL WINNIK F
BRADY VAIL F
CODY FRANSON D
JAKE GARDINER D
PETTER GRANBERG D
KORBINIAN HOLZER D
ERIC KNODEL D
VIKTOR LOOV D
ANDREW MACWILLIAM D
KEVIN MARSHALL D
BRENDAN MIKKELSON D
TOM NILSSON D
STUART PERCY D
DION PHANEUF D
ROMAN POLAK D
MORGAN RIELLY D
STEPHANE ROBIDAS D
HENRIK TALLINDER D
JONATHAN BERNIER G
ANTOINE BIBEAU G
CHRISTOPHER GIBSON G
CAL HEETER G

JAMES REIMER G
GARRET SPARKS G

I'd add a couple others, but these cuts are getting tougher and tougher.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'm happy with the cuts made. Watling and Findlay were AHL bound no matter what pretty much. Finn wasn't going to make it. M.Rupert, R.Rupert and Donaghey weren't going to make it either. The others were awful for the most part and just camp bodies. My next cuts would be:
1) Gauthier
2) Mikkelson (sent to AHL like other try-outs)
3) Heeter (sent to AHL like other try-outs)
4) Gibson
5) Ross
6) McMillan (sent to AHL like other try-outs, and so does Vail)
7) Marshall
8) Vail (though he may get a contract even though he doesn't really fit any needs)
9) Biggs
10) McKegg

After that I would probably say (and it gets pretty hard now):
1) Nilsson
2) Bibeau
3) Sparks
4) Carrick
5) Smith
6) Brown
7) Percy
8) Granberg
9) Devane
10) Broll

Right here all are mostly just prospects or bottom 6 players; most of these guys just need another year until they could be on the team. Smith may be traded or claimed actually, but likely not.

The last cuts (11 players). Damn it sucks though; all were quite good so far IMO:
1) Kozun
2) Abbott
3) McLaren
4) Loov
5) MacWilliam
6) Knodel
7) Leivo
8) Nylander
9) Kontiola
10) Bodie/Orr
11) Holzer/Tallinder...the toughest decision :laugh:

That would leave a lineup (that doesn't necessarily include lineups):
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Komarov-Holland-Frattin
Winnik-Santorelli-Booth
Bodie/Orr-Ashton

Phaneuf-Polak
Gardiner-Robidas
Rielly-Franson
Holzer/Tallinder

Bernier-Reimer

I think that's everyone. A lot of good players were cut though, and some may actually be claimed if put on waivers. I tried to keep as many of the good ones on the roster, and hopefully it'll become easier to make cuts after the preseason, but the next 10 cuts, it got pretty damn hard.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@DamoSpin: Word is three of the fittest Leafs during pre-camp testing were Cody Donaghy, Connor Brown and Phil Kessel.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 5m
Jonathan Bernier scheduled to make preseason debut tomorrow. William Nylander also likely to play.

Rob Longley ‏@longleysunsport 4m
#Leafs stars Kessel, Van Riemsdyk, Lupul, Bernier and Phaneuf all "possibles" for tomorrow's second pre-season game vs. the #Flyers.

mikebel111*

No surprise Finn was cut. Had pretty much no shot
Kid will be good
Thats Leafs nation for ya as they make statements on players easily. I dont take them seriously.
Just look at people piling on poor Morgan

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Kid will be good
Thats Leafs nation for ya as they make statements on players easily. I dont take them seriously.

Rielly didn't look great tonight. That's not piling on him. Nobody thinks he sucks now. He just didn't have a great game.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
You'd think that the Leafs would provide Heeter some pads and helmet. He was wearing his Philly gear throughout training camp and in the game. He looked like a Philly goalie that was just filling in for the Leafs. Like, you don't have some spare white pads and helmet laying around somewhere for him? It doesn't even have to be Leafs stuff, just not stuff from another team (especially the team you're playing against).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Kid will be good

there's a difference between saying

"morgan's a bum, and he's horrible, get him out of here."

vs

"Morgan had a poor game today. "

and truthfully, I'm preparing myself for a lot more poor nights from Morgan. It's his 2nd year, he'll probably struggle. (we'll see if he'll bypass it). so i'd prepare yourself for a lot of "Morgan didn't have a good game today."

that's not piling - that's observing.

anyway - that's interesting that Jonathan gets the first ACC start. this means that Sparks/Reimer gets the split squad duties. (personally, I'd give Reimer Ottawa, and Sparks, Toronto).

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
You'd think that the Leafs would provide Heeter some pads and helmet. He was wearing his Philly gear throughout training camp and in the game. He looked like a Philly goalie that was just filling in for the Leafs. Like, you don't have some spare white pads and helmet laying around somewhere for him? It doesn't even have to be Leafs stuff, just not stuff from another team (especially the team you're playing against).

Goalies tend to be very picking with their equipment. Pads are not something that can be just switched. They take time to be broken-in.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

He's fighting for a job. Doubt he wants to break in equipment while doing so. Goalie equipment is extremely difficult to break in

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Holzer had a good game. Not sure why people were ragging on him back in 2013. He was horribly miscast. He can be a good 7th d-man and some have suggested replacing franson with him, although that is somewhat of a stretch.

Also, Biggs man... come'on get your act together.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If a team gives us a good enough offer for Franson, I would deal him still. Both Granberg and Holzer look great so far.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
If a team gives us a good enough offer for Franson, I would deal him still. Both Granberg and Holzer look great so far.

I think you can add Loov to that list... Obviously Loov and Granberg getting another year in the AHL/SHL wouldn't hurt, but they both look ready and I think Holder will be our #7 this year (or more if he keeps this up).

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Thought Granberg was good for hitting people and not much else this game. Holzer was terrible in the NHL last time and doesn't provide much more than physicality either. I wouldn't be betting on either of them to be better than Franson this coming season.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Thought Granberg was good for hitting people and not much else this game. Holzer was terrible in the NHL last time and doesn't provide much more than physicality either. I wouldn't be betting on either of them to be better than Franson this coming season.

I also thought Holder was awful, but that's because he was on the first pairing playing big minutes and against the top competition... That was also 2 years ago. You've got to give him a chance and he had a better game tonight than Franson did since his first game of last year (it was either his first or second game that he put up like 2 puts and made a bunch of key defensive plays, the announcers were gushing over him.... then he just stopped doing that).

lukeleim

Dec 1, 2009
Calgary
Bolded the ones I think will be cut next,

NAME POSITION
SPENCER ABBOTT F
CARTER ASHTON F
TYLER BIGGS F
TROY BODIE F
DAVID BOOTH F
TYLER BOZAK F
DAVID BROLL F
CONNOR BROWN F
SAM CARRICK F
DAVID CLARKSON F
JAMIE DEVANE F
MATT FRATTIN F
FREDERIK GAUTHIER F
PETER HOLLAND F
NAZEM KADRI F
PHIL KESSEL F
LEO KOMAROV F
PETRI KONTIOLA F
BRANDON KOZUN F
JOSH LEIVO F
JOFFREY LUPUL F
GREG MCKEGG F
FRAZER MCLAREN F
CARSON MCMILLAN F
WILLIAM NYLANDER F
COLTON ORR F
BRAD ROSS F
MIKE SANTORELLI F
TREVOR SMITH F
JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK F
DANIEL WINNIK F
BRADY VAIL F
CODY FRANSON D
JAKE GARDINER D
PETTER GRANBERG D
KORBINIAN HOLZER D
ERIC KNODEL D
VIKTOR LOOV D
ANDREW MACWILLIAM D
KEVIN MARSHALL D
BRENDAN MIKKELSON D
TOM NILSSON D
STUART PERCY D
DION PHANEUF D
ROMAN POLAK D
MORGAN RIELLY D
STEPHANE ROBIDAS D
HENRIK TALLINDER D
JONATHAN BERNIER G
ANTOINE BIBEAU G
CHRISTOPHER GIBSON G
CAL HEETER G
JAMES REIMER G
GARRET SPARKS G

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario

He's probably more comfortable with it. He's ona. Tryout basis so I doubt he would want to put on new equipment when he is looking for a contract.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If it comes down to Holzer and Tallinder for the last D spot I hope they take the guy they spent years developing who was unfairly thrown to the wolves when he did get called up vs a 35 year old with little upside.

Tyler Biggs*

For those who don't know or remember who Della Rovere is, he's a very gritty player who can lay people out and put up points as well. Give him a few years and you may see him in the NHL.

leafstilldeath*

Morgs is in his 2nd year i.e. good ol sophomore year. I hope people take it easy on him. He is just starting out and especially for a D-man people have gotta show a little more patience.

Yea Morgs didn't have a good game but he also didn't have a garbage game. Performance on its own Morgs was fine but compared to last year yea a little below average.

Still only one game and that too a pre-season game. Chill folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad