Training Camp/General Oiler news thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I heard he is a slower skater, how slow we talking? Steve Macintyre slow? Ryan Smyth slow? Sheldon Souray skating backwards slow?

I don't know who was watching what but Joensuu in his preseasons games has looked anything but slow.

The thing I have most been impressed with is his size and speed.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
The thing that has impressed me with Joensuu was how vocal he was on the ice. I noticed in the first period (in Edmonton) while I was still adjusting to the training camp #'s that #6 was really loud, I could hear him clear all the way up in the second deck where I was sitting.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
Joensuu has meh acceleration, but pretty good top speed. and on his top gear he's an absolute wrecking ball, he leveled several people yesterday, failing only against Big Buff.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Joensuu has meh acceleration, but pretty good top speed. and on his top gear he's an absolute wrecking ball, he leveled several people yesterday, failing only against Big Buff.

Yes... he's been solid... and Byfuglien is basically the biggest guy in the NHL (outside of John Scott who is useless) so if he is outmatched just against the giants but plays well against the rest... he's going to be a solid asset in the top 9 for the Oilers. To me he's looking like he could be exactly what we wanted and hoped Eager would bring to the team.

Now if only Eager could get back to that level as well... the Oilers would have 2 great options for size/speed/grit in the bottom 6 which would make the lineup a hell of a lot more balanced and hard to play against than we've seen the last few years.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I heard he is a slower skater, how slow we talking? Steve Macintyre slow? Ryan Smyth slow? Sheldon Souray skating backwards slow?

This sounds about right. At this point I don't see skating as an issue for Joensuu. He's definitely a better skater than Hartikainen was for example.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yes... he's been solid... and Byfuglien is basically the biggest guy in the NHL (outside of John Scott who is useless) so if he is outmatched just against the giants but plays well against the rest... he's going to be a solid asset in the top 9 for the Oilers. To me he's looking like he could be exactly what we wanted and hoped Eager would bring to the team.

Now if only Eager could get back to that level as well... the Oilers would have 2 great options for size/speed/grit in the bottom 6 which would make the lineup a hell of a lot more balanced and hard to play against than we've seen the last few years.

He's not much of a fighter though although he seems willing. Last night he was dumped hard by Tangradi and wanted a piece of Tangradi but Tangradi stopped him from getting up.

Conkanen*

I don't know who was watching what but Joensuu in his preseasons games has looked anything but slow.

The thing I have most been impressed with is his size and speed.

Joensuu isn't slow. Hamilton who is of similar size is very slow OTOH.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
@EdmontonOilers
Coach Eakins says there are five forwards in a "very real competition for a couple of spots" on the #Oilers roster to start the year.

Hmm. Hamilton, Acton, Lander, Eager, Arcobello?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
@EdmontonOilers
Coach Eakins says there are five forwards in a "very real competition for a couple of spots" on the #Oilers roster to start the year.

I'd maybe do: JJ, Arco, Pitlick (been noticeable and caught coaches attention), Acton, Lander

Center and LW are definitely open atm.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I'd maybe do: JJ, Arco, Pitlick (been noticeable and caught coaches attention), Acton, Lander

Center and LW are definitely open atm.

I can't see Pitlick making the team, but Eakins did start giving him extra shifts in the 3rd (Hamilton seemed to get his ice time cut), and he is back in again tonight, along with Joensuu. Eakins mentioned he changed things up in the 3rd in order to reward guys who were going.

This is interesting, and, if nothing else, hopefully Eakins will give Pitlick a call-up this year.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
@EdmontonOilers

Assuming Joensuu has a spot all but locked up, my guess is:

Lander, Pitlick, Arcobello, Eager (blech), and Acton (double blech)

SchultzSquared*

Assuming Joensuu has a spot all but locked up, my guess is:

Lander, Pitlick, Arcobello, Eager (blech), and Acton (double blech)

They are using Pitlick again tonight... Joensuu is a lock... so have to guess inside track on fourth line is Joensuu-Lander-Pitlick

Arcobello subs in when we want more offense on fourth line... leaves Brown as #14 F.

Smyth-Hall-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Jones-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Lander-Pitlick
Brown Arcobello

Then when Nuge is back

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Lander-Jones
Brown/Pitlick Arcobello

Pitlick goes down then or if he proves he belongs Brown gets waived

Either way if you told me Tyler Pitlick could start in the NHL even a month ago... well I would have laughed... but good on the kid... has stepped up and if nothing else will get a look probably

Real fight comes to D... Eakins liked Larsen I guess after last night... not sure why but he is the coach... who he is obviously not hot for is Grebs... and of course we have another Russian yet to try out

Smid-Petry
Ference-J. Schultz
N. Schultz-Larsen/Belov
Grebeshkov

Potter goes bye bye... Klefbom Marincin Fedun Gernat get more development time... Eakins goes with the hot hand in the #6 puck mover spot... I guess whoever makes less give aways in practice gets to slot in

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
He's not much of a fighter though although he seems willing. Last night he was dumped hard by Tangradi and wanted a piece of Tangradi but Tangradi stopped him from getting up.

Wasn't this in the third period, where he was offside and his pick move turned into an interference penalty?

That entire sequence was nearly his only fault in the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad