Training camp 2017

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Labanc would be my first choice but Donskoi is good too and Karlsson would be acceptable.

I'd be a-okay with these lines.

I think it's also worth discussing Tierney as 3C with the caveat that he's stapled to Meier.

Labanc-Thornton-Pavelski
Couture-Hertl-Donskoi
Hansen-Tierney-Meier
Ward-Carpenter-Karlsson

I have very serious dobts about Tierney.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I am very in the fence about Labanc right now. He seems to have regressed pretty hard. Did not look great in practice yesterday.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Lebanc will be fine. You expecting him to play the best hockey of his career a few practices into training camp? Cmon.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Examples please?

So ya, it was the first day of camp. So take everything with a grain of salt. But on a line of him, Carpenter and Helewka, he didn't stand out positively. He shot didn't seem "dangerous" and would whiff more than once. Not including the time his stick broke on an attempted slapped. When they did the net front/behind the crease drill, Timo and Hertl's both stood out. Labanc seemed a bit out of place. The other two made the goals, which given the one-timer nature of the drill, should be expected. Labanc shot it wide. It's just stuff like that.

If I were looking at it in isolation, so just considering the skills in practice - there was a clear gap between Labanc and a guy like Carpenter or even Mashinter. His game just wasn't as crisp, his shots didn't pop, and he always seemed to be trailing the play.

But again, I would say it's 1 day, early, early in the preseason. Don't take it as absolute fact. If this we're investing, I would consider this my downgrade from a STRONG BUY to maybe a MODERATE. Timo was looking 100% on the opening night roster. Labanc... 50/50 with a no unless he shows improvement.

Last edited:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
This article is a significant bummer.

"I'm a big DeMelo fan. I love what he's done here over the last couple years," the Sharks coach said. "I'd be crazy to be overlooking him. He's done a very good job and he's one of the guys who's shown that he can do it consistently and get our trust.

Although the competition is just getting started after two days of training camp, conventional wisdom would suggest that Ryan has the upper hand.

Trust is a big word in DeBoer's dictionary, and while he isn't showing his cards, the defensive-minded coach acknowledged that he tends to favor risk-adverse players.

"We're not looking for a specific skill, we're looking for the guy that can help us win games," the Sharks coach said. "Consistently being able to defend, getting the trust of the coaches that we can put you on the ice and you're not going to get exposed.

"Any offense that comes after that is really a bonus."

https://twitter.com/GackleReport/status/909208184258125824

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I want a safe third pairing. The biggest Q for me is if DeMelo can stabilize Dillion in the same way Schlemko did. Schlemko seemed to be more creative and recover from mistakes better. A big plus to partner with a guy like Dillion.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Deboer- "I need safe players to help me win games so I dont lose my job"

Ironically the lack of the teams ability to score is what has been hurting us.

Honestly I am going to go into this season with very low expectations. Would not be shocked if we miss the playoffs. Making the playoffs with a first round exit is the likeliest scenario in my mind.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I have very serious dobts about Tierney.

He was real good with Timo, if I'm recalling correctly.

Man I hate coachspeak. DeBoer loves DeMelo so much that he played Roman Polak over him in the Stanley Cup Finals! It's not like DeMelo has improved since then so what the hell?

Bad news for Heed, good news for this Barracuda fan.

I predict a 7th seed.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
This is gonna be a completely nonsensical season for the advanced stats people when they look back on the team and how they did. We gonna get that Cup with mediocre quality of play relying completely on luck and the beards of Thornton, Martin and Burns. Just because the hockey gods seem to have a sick sense of humor so us finally winning it after Marleau leaves would fit the bill. Though so would the Leafs winning. Which would not be cool.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This is gonna be a completely nonsensical season for the advanced stats people when they look back on the team and how they did. We gonna get that Cup with mediocre quality of play relying completely on luck and the beards of Thornton, Martin and Burns. Just because the hockey gods seem to have a sick sense of humor so us finally winning it after Marleau leaves would fit the bill. Though so would the Leafs winning. Which would not be cool.

If the hockey gods exist (which they don't), all of their prior behavior has shown us that none of Marleau, Thornton, Pavelski, and Burns will ever win a Cup, Shark or not.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
If were gonna have any chance tierney or carp have to make a good third line that can score.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
He was real good with Timo, if I'm recalling correctly.

Man I hate coachspeak. DeBoer loves DeMelo so much that he played Roman Polak over him in the Stanley Cup Finals! It's not like DeMelo has improved since then so what the hell?

Bad news for Heed, good news for this Barracuda fan.

I predict a 7th seed.

Tierney needs to show that he can play at a relatively high level for longer stretches. He is a non factor way more often than not.

What Deboer said is really confusing, especially after reading that article on the Athletic about Joe Thornton's point production going down. Which basically said that the Sharks are using defenseman to shoot more and generate offense instead of forwards cycling etc. (there's more in there, but that's a big part of it) If Deboer is using that on purpose, then you would think he'd want more dmen with solid offensive capabilities. If that philosophy is not being used on purpose then Deboer isn't paying close enough attention to what the team is doing. Either way, it concerns me.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Don't think you could start camp with better news than this

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/...past-meier-shines-in-sharks-annual-scrimmage/

With mononucleosis in past, Meier shines in Sharks annual scrimmage

Timo Meier’s highly-anticipated rookie season with the Sharks hit a snag last September when he failed to take the ice for the team’s annual intrasquad scrimmage at Solar4America Ice.

The Swiss forward made up for last year’s absence Sunday afternoon, scoring a pair of goals in the Sharks 2017 intrasquad scrimmage that propelled his team, led by captain Joe Pavelski, to a 2-1 win.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/...past-meier-shines-in-sharks-annual-scrimmage/

Timo Meier’s highly-anticipated rookie season with the Sharks hit a snag last September when he failed to take the ice for the team’s annual intrasquad scrimmage at Solar4America Ice.

The Swiss forward made up for last year’s absence Sunday afternoon, scoring a pair of goals in the Sharks 2017 intrasquad scrimmage that propelled his team, led by captain Joe Pavelski, to a 2-1 win.

That is really good news. I'm not using anything from last year to judge what he could be capable of.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

This is good news but "made up for last year's absence by scoring two preseason scrimmage goals" is i bizarre line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad