Training camp 2017

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
Labanc and Carpenter were playing on the 5th w/ Group A.

I would guess Ward is on the 2nd with Couture (because DeBoer) and we see a Goodrow - Tierney - Donskoi 4th. I had to go to work, so I didn't stick around for the Group B - but that would be my guess.
How did the d pairings look?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Labanc and Carpenter were playing on the 5th w/ Group A.

I would guess Ward is on the 2nd with Couture (because DeBoer) and we see a Goodrow - Tierney - Donskoi 4th. I had to go to work, so I didn't stick around for the Group B - but that would be my guess.

I saw something from Gackle I think that said Boedker was taking Marleau's place

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA

Some interesting nuggets on that.

Sounds like he is pretty ok with not having Patty on the team anymore, especially at the price he went for.

Asked about Jagr, he was not interested.

Asked about if they'd look outside the org for other players if Younger players didn't step it up. He had a very sneaky grin and said we talk to other teams a lot. Sounds to me like DW could be actively perusing something.

Asked if they thought about draistl and he gave that same smile and said he can't talk about other teams players. Seems like he was perusing him

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Thornton-Hertl-Meier
Donskoi-Couture-Pavelski
Boedker-Tierney-Hansen
Sorensen-Carpenter-Ward

...is my terrible and uninformed preference.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Thornton-Hertl-Meier
Donskoi-Couture-Pavelski
Boedker-Tierney-Hansen
Sorensen-Carpenter-Ward

...is my terrible and uninformed preference.

It would work. Maybe Labanc in for Meier, Meier in for Donskoi, Donskoi in for Sorenson. But IDK, I like it as posted too.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So much dead weight.

Not only that, but such a bad distribution of talent, in my opinion.

In my opinion, placing one north-south speedy player (Hansen) on a line with two much more talented but extremely slow players (Thornton and Pavelski) is not good. Hansen will have to slow himself down to play their style, since he isn't good enough to set the pace for the line, thereby wasting his speed that could be used elsewhere.

A combination that I think will be vital this year is Couture and Meier. As previously discussed, I think Couture had lost a serious step defensively and does not drive possession anymore. Meier can support both of those deficiencies well, if last year was any indication. Meier and Hertl, while awesome together, are overkill; our three best possession-driving forwards (Thornton, Hertl, Meier) should play on deprecate lines IMO.

Lastly, we're separating the only line that showed real promise down the stretch last season: Boedker-Hertl-Hansen. They were scoring, Boedker and Hansen were playing well off each other and using their speed to good effect, and Hertl was doing what he does best: driving possession. I really think that line ought to be given more time to show what they can do.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA

In my opinion, placing one north-south speedy player (Hansen) on a line with two much more talented but extremely slow players (Thornton and Pavelski) is not good. Hansen will have to slow himself down to play their style, since he isn't good enough to set the pace for the line, thereby wasting his speed that could be used elsewhere.

A combination that I think will be vital this year is Couture and Meier. As previously discussed, I think Couture had lost a serious step defensively and does not drive possession anymore. Meier can support both of those deficiencies well, if last year was any indication. Meier and Hertl, while awesome together, are overkill; our three best possession-driving forwards (Thornton, Hertl, Meier) should play on deprecate lines IMO.

Lastly, we're separating the only line that showed real promise down the stretch last season: Boedker-Hertl-Hansen. They were scoring, Boedker and Hansen were playing well off each other and using their speed to good effect, and Hertl was doing what he does best: driving possession. I really think that line ought to be given more time to show what they can do.

Couture and timo could be good.

Who from the current roster would you put with the joes? Donskoi? Labanc?

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Agreed with all this - I'd run Donskoi-Couture-Meier, Hansen-Hertl-Boedker, Karlsson-Jumbo-Pavs, Tierney-Carpenter-Ward

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Some interesting nuggets on that.

Sounds like he is pretty ok with not having Patty on the team anymore, especially at the price he went for.

Asked about Jagr, he was not interested.

Asked about if they'd look outside the org for other players if Younger players didn't step it up. He had a very sneaky grin and said we talk to other teams a lot. Sounds to me like DW could be actively perusing something.

Asked if they thought about draistl and he gave that same smile and said he can't talk about other teams players. Seems like he was perusing him

That grin he had really did make it seem like he has something brewing. More emotion than I've seen DW show in a long time.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
PDB did indicate they "tossed the names in a blender" for start of camp. (Although he could be facetious/sarcastic)

I think they'll give these guys a few days (maybe a preseason game) to see how they work.

Hansen with the two Joes looks intriguing.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Couture and timo could be good.

Who from the current roster would you put with the joes? Donskoi? Labanc?

Labanc would be my first choice but Donskoi is good too and Karlsson would be acceptable.

Agreed with all this - I'd run Donskoi-Couture-Meier, Hansen-Hertl-Boedker, Karlsson-Jumbo-Pavs, Tierney-Carpenter-Ward

I'd be a-okay with these lines.

I think it's also worth discussing Tierney as 3C with the caveat that he's stapled to Meier.

Labanc-Thornton-Pavelski
Couture-Hertl-Donskoi
Hansen-Tierney-Meier
Ward-Carpenter-Karlsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad