Training Camp 2016-17 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not sure what Stauffer's on about, he's laying it on pretty thick about how "Today could very well be the day we've all been waiting for" in regards to...what, I can't say.

He definitely inferred that something more could be happening today than just the 3 recent cuts we already know about.

Yakupov deal? Maybe?

McDavid to be named captain

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Not sure what Stauffer's on about, he's laying it on pretty thick about how "Today could very well be the day we've all been waiting for" in regards to...what, I can't say.

He definitely inferred that something more could be happening today than just the 3 recent cuts we already know about.

Yakupov deal? Maybe?

Interesting.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Yakupov deal? Maybe?

Moving the team to england or McDavid named captian

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
9aqyHI2.png

My body is ready

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Yakupov deal? Maybe?

new topping on the Mediterranean Chicken??

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Hasn't done anything memorable on either side of the puck. I still expect he makes the team, but I think Pitlick has looked better.

Pitlick would be a massive upgrade on Kassian in my opinion. The only question is his health

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Pitlick would be a massive upgrade on Kassian in my opinion. The only question is his health

How so? Kassian was good in Van and can agitate,hit,fight and score. Pitlick holds none of these traits.

Kassian has shown way more upside than Pitlick in their careers

Pitlick shows offensive promise but that has nothing to do with a 4th line role imo. NYI 4th line was dominate doing the first 3 things primary. We should hope our bottom line does that first.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
How so? Kassian was good in Van and can agitate,hit,fight and score. Pitlick holds none of these traits.

Kassian has shown way more upside than Pitlick in their careers

Pitlick shows offensive promise but that has nothing to do with a 4th line role imo. NYI 4th line was dominate doing the first 3 things primary. We should hope our bottom line does that first.

Pitlick hits a ton, and I would argue that he would bring more offense if he could ever stay healthy. Kassian is really overrated here, and I think it's mainly because he was the first guy Chia brought in that brought the toughness that had been lacking for so long. He wasn't a big asset to the team down the stretch last year after his hot start.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Pitlick hits a ton, and I would argue that he would bring more offense if he could ever stay healthy. Kassian is really overrated here, and I think it's mainly because he was the first guy Chia brought in that brought the toughness that had been lacking for so long. He wasn't a big asset to the team down the stretch last year after his hot start.

Kassian kept up with the Sedins, succesfully. You think Pitlick hit's more and has more understanding of elite hockey sense in that role?

Kass came off a major life change. Not saying this is an ultimate excuse but when out of mind, this guy still grasped how to play with elite talent. And he always brought a physical and pesty element. Pitlick has shown more than him how?

Kass has the chops to back it up

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Kassian's looked good to me in preseason. Skates well, hits, has some decent offensive attributes, decent defensive awareness and can protect the puck very well on the cycle. He absolutely deserves a 4th line spot, and I could see him get moved up the lineup some nights if others are struggling.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don't think it has to be only one of Kassian/Pitlick in the lineup. There is room for both as they both bring an effective package of skills to the roster. Perfect 4th line players but in a pinch they can slide up to 3rd line duty as well as both have some offense to their game along with aggressiveness which is always welcome on this team.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Kassian kept up with the Sedins, succesfully. You think Pitlick hit's more and has more understanding of elite hockey sense in that role?

Kass came off a major life change. Not saying this is an ultimate excuse but when out of mind, this guy still grasped how to play with elite talent. And he always brought a physical and pesty element. Pitlick has shown more than him how?

Kass has the chops to back it up

You don't need much hockey sense to play with the Sedins stand close to the net, try to give them the backdoor option and keep your stick on the ice. So long as you can bury 1/3 of the tap in goals they feed you, you've successfully learned how to play with the Sedins. Those two are incredibly easy to play with and will do the lions share of the work, there is a reason Taylor Pyatt, Jannik Hansen, Zach Kassian, Radim Vrbata, & Anson Carter seen nice bumps to their production when they played with the Sedins and dipped back down soon after they were removed from their line.

I'm not going to argue that Pitlick is better than Kassian for our team, but he does provide elements that Kassian doesn't namely he skates much faster and closes quicker on the forecheck and moves the puck quicker and attacks with more pace though his shot quality often suffers from his quick attack mentality. Against the bigger teams we will see in our division I'd prefer Kassian in most situations, against teams with d-cores on the smaller or slower side of things I could see Pitlick being a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad