Training Camp 2016-17 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Simpson being invisible is his game. He is just smart and effective. Jack of all trades, master of none. Not offensive but can move puck well. Not a big hitter or physical shut down D but is great at position play.

He is a darkhouse for sure

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Simpson being invisible is his game. He is just smart and effective. Jack of all trades, master of none. Not offensive but can move puck well. Not a big hitter or physical shut down D but is great at position play.

He is a darkhouse for sure

I don't think he really has any shot of making the team. They're just giving him another look because he's one of the closer guys to being NHL ready. I think Benning at this point is ahead of him, and the fact that he's a righty favours him even further. If anyone was my dark horse to make the team it would be Benning, but even he will likely get beat out by Oesterle or Gryba (if signed) for the 7th D spot. Better to let both Simpson and Benning to go down and develop further in the AHL, and even sending Oesterle down might not be the worst idea so that he can get 10-20 games in, and if he dominates that level then call him back up. Thats really the only reason I'd sign Gryba at this point is to let Oesterle, Reinhart, Benning and Simpson go down and only come back up if they're absolutely ready or if injuries hit.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
They have 33 left in camp... actually 31 if you don't count Ference and Pak who'll both be on IR... so they still have to cut 8 more bodies.

For once it will be interesting to see who the final cuts will be.. especially amongst the forwards where there is some legitimate competition this year for a change.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
They have 33 left in camp... actually 31 if you don't count Ference and Pak who'll both be on IR... so they still have to cut 8 more bodies.

For once it will be interesting to see who the final cuts will be.. especially amongst the forwards where there is some legitimate competition this year for a change.

I would think we might see a couple today or most on Friday? Guys like pitlick, slepyshev, versteeg and get a will be kept until the end of camp i presume, as well as lander and drake. Indeed interesting year, will be some actual competition made cuts this year

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I'm curious how it works as I know with Ference it has been said that he has to spend one day on the roster before going to LTIR.

If that applies to IR as well, we could very well see a guy or two sent down and then called right back the following day.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
assigned to the condors today;
Simpson
Osterle
Brossoit

Having gustafson (sp?) as our backup scares me

I think Simpson had a really good showing and made a good case for a call up this year. Also made a great case for a spot next year if he continues developing in AHL. Played really poised and had a lot of mistake free hockey. Hopefully he gets big minutes in the AHL

A bit suprised by Osterle going down but its probably because they want to see Reinhart/ Gryba as much as possible

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Simpson
Osterle
Brossoit

We're not locked into Gus for the full season. If he struggles, call up Brossoit. But atleast this allows Brossoit to play big minutes on the farm instead of riding the pine.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I think Simpson had a really good showing and made a good case for a call up this year. Also made a great case for a spot next year if he continues developing in AHL. Played really poised and had a lot of mistake free hockey. Hopefully he gets big minutes in the AHL

A bit suprised by Osterle going down but its probably because they want to see Reinhart/ Gryba as much as possible

To be honest, I'm surprised that Reinhart is still around. Haven't been impressed by him at all.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
We're not locked into Gus for the full season. If he struggles, call up Brossoit. But atleast this allows Brossoit to play big minutes on the farm instead of riding the pine.

true enough forgot about our october schedule being favourable and that way most games talbot can start

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Did he play really well yesterday?

not mistake free but pretty good outing for Gryba. Certainly didnt hurt his chances of getting a contract. As a #7 he would be perfect. Fayne wasnt that good last night which is worrisome.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
not mistake free but pretty good outing for Gryba. Certainly didnt hurt his chances of getting a contract. As a #7 he would be perfect. Fayne wasnt that good last night which is worrisome.

Team really needs Fayne to be better, and I thought he was solid enough in an earlier preseason game, so that's unfortunate to hear.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I liked fayne a lot last game. He was way more assertive. Defensively he was sound and offensively he was fumbling the puck but atleast he was taking chances out there

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
To be honest, I'm surprised that Reinhart is still around. Haven't been impressed by him at all.

I think his time here will be short. Very limited room for him on left side and Osterle/Simpson/Musil are nipping at his heels. Plus Jones who could surprise next year

bets thing we can do with Reinhart is deal him asap and try to reclaim some of what we gave up. Maybe get a 2nd round pick

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I liked fayne a lot last game. He was way more assertive. Defensively he was sound and offensively he was fumbling the puck but atleast he was taking chances out there

You think Fayne was better defensively than guys like Simpson and Gryba? To me he was struggling a lot last night. There was nothing assertive about his game and he got beat wide atleast once. Gryba ended up playing over 19mins while Fayne got less ice time than everyone on D.

Ideally we would have Fayne and Gryba playing #6 \ #7 on the team with Gryba drawing in on semi regular basis.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Simpson
Osterle
Brossoit

These cuts aren't very surprising, especially after how McLellan was talking up Gryba post-game as someone being very popular in the room, and good at killing penalties.

IMO he's just fine as a #7, and Oesterle can snap at his heels while playing likely top pairing minutes in Bakersfield.

Simpson plays a quiet game with not many errors, but in this camp quiet and safe isn't going to be enough to get you a job in the top 6.

Really nice showing by Benning, his first NHL camp and he's made it to the final 9 Dmen remaining. It's almost certainly himself and Reinhart that get sent down as the final cuts later this week, but it's still got to be a confidence boost for him.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I think his time here will be short. Very limited room for him on left side and Osterle/Simpson/Musil are nipping at his heels. Plus Jones who could surprise next year

bets thing we can do with Reinhart is deal him asap and try to reclaim some of what we gave up. Maybe get a 2nd round pick

I'm trying not to put too much stock into preseason as I recall Davidson looked horrible last year, but ended playing a key role as the regular season wore on. I'm still inclined to keep Reinhart around for depth, but he better start showing a bit more.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Simpson plays a quiet game with not many errors, but in this camp quiet and safe isn't going to be enough to get you a job in the top 6.

I think him not having to clear waivers played a big hand in his demotion. He would surely be still up if he had to clear waivers ala Musil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad