OT: Train hits OC transpo bus in Barrhaven

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Obviously wouldn't have changed a thing here, as he drove right through a barrier with flashing lights, alarm bells, and passengers screaming at him to stop.
I haven't heard a conclusive report of whether this was a mechanical failure, sudden medical event on the part of the driver or simply driver error, and I'm not sure we'll know for sure for some time.

If the either of the first two scenarios is true you are correct there would have been no difference in the result. If the last scenario is true the habit of stopping at all railway crossings could have saved lives that day.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I haven't heard a conclusive report of whether this was a mechanical failure, sudden medical event on the part of the driver or simply driver error, and I'm not sure we'll know for sure for some time.

If the last scenario is true the habit of stopping at all railway crossings could have saved lives that day.

Sooooo what your saying is if he wasn't paying attention, he would have stopped anyway's?????

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Sooooo what your saying is if he wasn't paying attention, he would have stopped anyway's?????

Makes sense to me. It's rare that people fail to stop for a stop sign or red light even when they aren't consciously thinking about doing it. If drivers are mandated to stop at all railway crossings - assuming the issue was driver inattention - that same principle comes into play.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Well you can throw that common sense out the window because most accidents/deaths happen at intersection.

Every single day there are accidents at intersections. Ask any Cop or Fireman, they'll tell you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad