Proposal: Trading Tyler Myers

Should we trade Myers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Couldn't find a player discussion thread on Myers so created this one, feel free to merge it if one already exists.

Considering how well Chiarot has played and how much promise (imho) Morrow is showing now that he's actually getting some ice time, should we just trade Myers? If we re-sign Enström to a short and cheap contract (in case he's up for it) and with the aforementioned depth I think we'd be alright. Niku is also probably in the picture soon.

With all this do we really want to dedicate 5.5M USD to Myers? I don't think his play warrants that salary, which we could use to sign Stastny in case he'd be ok with a shorter contract.

Am I completely out of line here? Do you think there'd be any takers for Myers? If so, what do you think we'd get back?

Discuss :D

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd be on board with trading Myers and signing Stastny. However, I don't view Chiarot or Morrow as capable replacements. We'd have Morrissey-Byfuglien, Kulikov-Trouba, Enstrom(potentially)-Poolman which could be alright if we re-sign Enstrom. Maybe Niku could fit in as well.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Just looking at his deal I was surprised to see hes ufa after next season. Basically, he's a bargain at 5.5 but what would he re sign for? With Myers it will depend on his health. What he has done this year, playing every game.....borderline miraculous.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
First off, all the D you listed are LHD and Myers is RHD. Our RHD depth isn't actually as strong as our LHD depth now. Essentially it goes Trouba-Buff-Myers-Poolman-(Nogier/Green/Kostalek). This normally wouldn't really be a terrible issue except that Troubas not currently signed long term, Buff has 3 more years after this one but he's not the same player he once was, and Poolman isn't top 4 ready and maybe never will be. I know Myers is only signed for next season as well, but until you have certainty with Trouba you really can't afford to move and RHD....unless of course you're getting back a RHD but that's not a likely scenario!

Reactions: dabizz

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
First off, all the D you listed are LHD and Myers is RHD. Our RHD depth isn't actually as strong as our LHD depth now. Essentially it goes Trouba-Buff-Myers-Poolman-(Nogier/Green/Kostalek). This normally wouldn't really be a terrible issue except that Troubas not currently signed long term, Buff has 3 more years after this one but he's not the same player he once was, and Poolman isn't top 4 ready and maybe never will be. I know Myers is only signed for next season as well, but until you have certainty with Trouba you really can't afford to move and RHD....unless of course you're getting back a RHD but that's not a likely scenario!

Oh shoot, was assuming at least one of them would be RHD (I can never remember the sides for defenders). But even so I think we could pick up a capable RHD for far less. I just have a huge problem paying 5.5M for a third pairing defender, which Myers kinda is.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Ok....mid length term at 5.5? Yes. But, if he's healthy, you won't get him for that. So......if I needed to give a yes or no. Yes, trade him. And yes there would be huge interest.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
5.5m is way too much.
He is worth half that.
Stuart with a good O game.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
He's not worth his contract but there might not be any other options.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
If the Jets could get a late first/early 2nd pick for him, I would trade him on the condition that Enstrom comes back for a year at 3M, use the rest of the salary savings to keep the rest of the band together.
Myers has been really good on offense but he is not top 4 defensively IMO.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It's hard to trade a guy you like -- but "everyone" is tradeable, if the return, and terms and conditions are right.

It's like a game of chess - when you move one significant piece on the board, it critically affects the rest of the remaining pieces, and the whole nature of the game, and can mean victory or defeat.

To trade Myers is absolutely ridiculous talk, until you find out if Trouba is going to resign--long term, and if he does not, you just cannot trade Myers. If Trouba does sign long term, then what do you do with Myers ?? Either keep him, or trade him.

From what I've seen of Statsny this year, he does look invisible quite often, just like the St.Louis fans say. I would "not" trade Myers to sign Statsny. We are already financially in deep with an aging Little. We don't need another one.

My bet is that Chevy -- being the shrewd guy that he is--will not sign Statsny, and instead-- develop a very fast, young and capable Jack Roslovic at center ice. I really like what I see in Roslovic, and he is underrated on here --and will surprise. Roslo would also fit into our "rising cap" situation--just fine.

If your going to trade Myers -- then you want to get someone good for him--like RNH - Hopkins from Edmonton, or Eric Stall from the Wild. We want to end up with some "turkey" in return, and not just "feathers."

In the end--I think the Jet's will resign Myers because of his offensive output, and the fact that he's happy playing here, and they want to keep a healthy team chemistry. Of course I'm saying this as a guy that really likes Myers play. NOTE --It's very hard to trade a guy that could regularly score 40 points a season from the back end -- scoring is hard to find in the NHL. Myer's can do that.

You've got to admit, with the success we've had this year, it's very dangerous to possibly "upset the applecart." I'd keep things as they are right now.

My guess is the "poll" will end up being around 50-50 when it's finished !!! -half like him and half don't, or think he's overpriced for what he offers.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
More for cap reasons, but we should also base it if Trouba signs an extension with the team. The other question is what would we be getting in return from the other team.

But I'll just pretend we trade him and Petan to Vancouver for Chris Tanev and a 2nd 2018. Before you flame me, it's a move Benning would do.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If we could get a first back that we lost for Stastny I would consider it.

But right now the difference between Myers and Poolman is huge. If we are a contender next season too, I can't see them wanting to trade a perfect 2nd/3rd pair swing guy making only a few million bucks.

He's gone after next year no matter what if Trouba gets resigned though. So if the price is right you have to consider moving him.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
IMO it's the kind of idea that is great in a perfect world where no one is ever injured and everyone is willing to sign reasonable long term deals.

Unfortunately we don't live in that world. Trouba is not signed long term. If he were to be signed long term, it could start to make sense to trade Myers. But we aren't there yet.

It is easy to look at Byfuglien, Trouba and Myers and say there is a surplus. But the reality is, when you consider the number of defencemen the Jets have capable of playing Top 4 minutes, that amounts to Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers and Morrissey. So who would step into Top 4 minutes if Myers departed? Enstrom is past that point. Chiarot and Morrow simply cannot handle them. Frankly, neither can Kulikov at this point outside brief stints (and with a good partner). Poolman and Niku may get there some day, but counting on that for next season seems presumptuous.

In a perfect video game world where whenever a top guy gets injured you just go back to the previous save and play through, great.

In the real world, this would put so much strain on other parts of the roster.

Reactions: Tommigun and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Trade fragile Toby, not Myers

I agree with this "totally"-- Enstrom is just about finished and can't take the pounding anymore. Unless he signs for about $ 1 mil--as a backup replacement--time to waive good bye to Tobias.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Trade fragile Toby, not Myers
I'd still take Enstrom in his current fragile state over Chiarot or Morrow next year. Assuming it was a reasonable contract and he still wanted to play.
Myers is a feel good story for fans overcoming adversity with his child. I'd hope after next year we could sign him a friendlier contract than what he currently has.
I do realize though we need to start making space for the new kids. But Enstrom probably won'tbe back which helps Niku or Poolman get a real shot of making the big boy team?

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

I agree with this "totally"-- Enstrom is just about finished and can't take the pounding anymore. Unless he signs for about $ 1 mil--as a backup replacement--time to waive good bye to Tobias.

I 100% agree. Which is too bad because when healthy, he's been pretty spot on this season.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If we get Trouba on a long term deal, i'd be down. Sign a FA, Niku, Kulikov, Poolman all challenging for spots. When he made less salary it was nice, now we wish his salary was higher and cap hit was lower.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00