Trading Period

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Ok guys I reworded my late night post :laugh:

Here's the tweet :
@anthonymarcotte: I'm hearing that Guillaume Gauthier doesn't want to join the Screaming Eagles and would stay in Quebec with a Jr. AAA team.

Still speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. I think we'll hear more later on today.

:shakehead

I want to rant so bad.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
Speaking of Danick Paquette, did anyone saw the documentary 'Bagarreur Inc'?

After watching the video, I can say that I now understand everyone who were telling the problem with Paquette was his father.

What an idiot...

I saw that too. His father seemed to be always there and he said some stupid stuff.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
As much as he doesn't want to go , it would really hurt his hockey career going to play AAA.

Wise choice.

I truly don't get what people have against moving to Cape Breton to play junior hockey lol I know their team was in the (MOD EDIT)for a couple seasons but if you take 2 seconds to look at what they've done with the new management group, there's no hockey reasons to hold out, is there?

Last edited by a moderator:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
School

I truly don't get what people have against moving to Cape Breton to play junior hockey lol I know their team was in the (MOD EDIT)for a couple seasons but if you take 2 seconds to look at what they've done with the new management group, there's no hockey reasons to hold out, is there?

School reasons prevail for some. In Quebec high school goes to grade 11 with the CEGEP option of 2 - academic/university or 3 - professional, years afterwards.

As a result school programs are not easily transferable outside Québec, so players risk losing dollars because post hockey they enter the work force later.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I agree with Canadians. I think one of the reasons is schooling. It can make things difficult.

Another thing to remember is the fact that these are kids. Most have played hockey in Quebec/close to home their whole lives. It would be pretty intimidating at first to move 15 hours away in a new and very English speaking province. Not to mention living with strangers. It certainly a life changing experience. On first thought they're probably not happy , which is why we see a lot of kids saying they won't report at first until they think things through. It's rarely as bad as they think it's going to be. Most think of the worst first.

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
School reasons prevail for some. In Quebec high school goes to grade 11 with the CEGEP option of 2 - academic/university or 3 - professional, years afterwards.

As a result school programs are not easily transferable outside Québec, so players risk losing dollars because post hockey they enter the work force later.

I have a hard time buying that when 3 of the last 9 Scholastic Players of the year in the Q were members of CBSE, 2 of them were from Quebec.

Also doesn't work for guys like:
-Sam Robert spent a year n a half in the Maritimes already.
-Simon Desmarais spent a year in Halifax, the end of 1 season in CB and half the season he ended up quitting in CB as well.
-J.S Deslauriers was in CB for a year n a half when he quit.

Then you have guys like Loik Leveille & Guillaume Gauthier who were both going to hold out before reporting. If school was so important and impossible in CB for a Quebecer, why did they end up reporting? Also if it's such a big issue, why isn't there 3 Quebecers per season quitting or holding out on the other Maritime teams?

Education is simply used as an excuse to hold out. Every Maritime team is fully capable of handling the education of their players regardless of where they're from just like Quebec based teams are capable of handling the education of players from the Maritimes.

OMG

Mar 19, 2013
The school excuse is a joke...no different than the english kids going to RN or VD or wherever......you can do it corresspondance in both english and french........its the student putting forth the effort...all teams have a setup for students....i know first hand that school is in for 4 hours everyday but game day....so the onus is on the families and their hockey player to do the work

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
What were some of the main things he said. Just found the video but don't understand much French.

One things that come to my mind is when he talks about his junior training camp with the Trois-Rivières Draveurs.

He said something like this "I'm 45 years old and I only have one regret in my life. When I went to the camp, I left after a practice where there had like 7 or 8 fight. I called my father and told him I that I wanted to play with my friend, in a lower level, at home. He told me 'Ok'. What I wanted to hear was 'Wait, I'm coming. We're going to talk about this.' "

We see him with his wife when the visit Dannick in some small ECHL town.

We can see Dannick in his two room apartment, with a Playstation probably being his most valuable possesion, eating a bowl of pasta with mom's sauce.

They later met together in a local snack-bar. Dannick looks 10 years older than he is. He seems to be at the same point his father was 25 years ago. He looks like a guy who's waiting for the 'Ok' from his father to call it a day.

Lucien, instead of giving him the 'Ok' he is telling him something like 'Continue to chase the dream. Peopple wake at 5h00 in the morning, go to the shop with their lunch pail. You have the chance to be paid to play hockey. Wow.'

I found it really sad.

Last edited:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
btw, not sure if it's been mentioned but Brandon Whitney was put in a coma so he could go through the injury he suffered in practice. He got a shot on the neck, fractued his adam's apple. Could have died if not treated quickly. Still in hospital.

Rough season for Victoriaville.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
The Educational Issues

I have a hard time buying that when 3 of the last 9 Scholastic Players of the year in the Q were members of CBSE, 2 of them were from Quebec.

Also doesn't work for guys like:
-Sam Robert spent a year n a half in the Maritimes already.
-Simon Desmarais spent a year in Halifax, the end of 1 season in CB and half the season he ended up quitting in CB as well.
-J.S Deslauriers was in CB for a year n a half when he quit.

Then you have guys like Loik Leveille & Guillaume Gauthier who were both going to hold out before reporting. If school was so important and impossible in CB for a Quebecer, why did they end up reporting? Also if it's such a big issue, why isn't there 3 Quebecers per season quitting or holding out on the other Maritime teams?

Education is simply used as an excuse to hold out. Every Maritime team is fully capable of handling the education of their players regardless of where they're from just like Quebec based teams are capable of handling the education of players from the Maritimes.

In Quebec high school ends at grade 11 since the 1970 graduating class, graduation happens before the age of 18 or before the age of majority. So youngsters coming from outside provinces with grade 12 may graduate from high school earlier. Until 1997 or so parts of Canada offered Grade 13. So coming to Quebec offers certain advantages - entering the work force earlier by one year, maybe two being one.

As stated upthread the CEGEP option offers three year professional options. However many of the professional programs are not available at all CEGEPs. If the player is traded to a team in Quebec or the Maritimes where the program he is enrolled in is not available then he risks losing an educational year if correspondence options are not available or viable. Example, certain programs require work experience as part of the course with recognized employers. Youngsters traded will not report or resign from their schooling unless GUARANTEED a smooth, uneventful transition to their new schooling situation.

Educational situations in certain QMJHL cities are much better than others. Montreal area teams - Armada can repatriate NCAA players without academic loss to the player. Baie Comeau cannot. Halifax offers much greater academic opportunities than Acadie-Bathurst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad