Proposal: Trading Ehlers

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I look forward to the next thread around here after we go with this defence of we need to trade a dman for more scoring . Funny when our forwards are all hurt we cant win and when our dmen are all hurt we cant lose . Pitts is 2 games from the final with no dmen. If we cant win with ehlers and the dmen we have we have major problems.

A lot of this^.

I'm not happy with our defense as it is configured but we have a great 1st pair and some other good pieces.

I'm not touching Ehlers, Scheifele, Laine to reconfigure our D.
Just about anybody else (other than Morrissey & Trouba of course) could be available for the right price.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I followed Ehlers through his seasons in Halifax and I'm not surprised he's doing so well at the NHL level. The kid is a STUD.

I'm a Leafs fan and at the time of his draft I was hoping we would select him at 8th because I knew how good he was going to be. Turns out we picked Nylander instead and you guys scooped up Ehlers with the next pick. I cursed it at the time but Nylander is proving to be a star himself so we couldn't go wrong either way!

Some folks on the Leafs board are suggesting similar (insane) ideas of trading Willie for a defenseman. I would lose my ---- if we traded him, for anybody. Chasing young stud defensemen is an expensive game and I don't believe in trading top offensive prospects for them no matter how rare they may be.

Better off drafting as best you can, signing free agents out of Europe if you find players you like (see Zaitsev and the two new Swedes the Leafs signed last week), and developing your blueline in-house. Much cheaper and you can keep your top assets up front. Trading for a top end D is a nice fantasy but you're going to pay a heavy price. The Pens are currently proving you don't need a marquee defenseman to go deep in the playoffs.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I want to see what this team can do when we have average or better goaltending. Past that I don't really care about next season as far as trades go. I sense it could be an active off season but as long as we fix the net I don't give a **** about other trades.

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
I followed Ehlers through his seasons in Halifax and I'm not surprised he's doing so well at the NHL level. The kid is a STUD.

I'm a Leafs fan and at the time of his draft I was hoping we would select him at 8th because I knew how good he was going to be. Turns out we picked Nylander instead and you guys scooped up Ehlers with the next pick. I cursed it at the time but Nylander is proving to be a star himself so we couldn't go wrong either way!

Some folks on the Leafs board are suggesting similar (insane) ideas of trading Willie for a defenseman. I would lose my ---- if we traded him, for anybody. Chasing young stud defensemen is an expensive game and I don't believe in trading top offensive prospects for them no matter how rare they may be.

Better off drafting as best you can, signing free agents out of Europe if you find players you like (see Zaitsev and the two new Swedes the Leafs signed last week), and developing your blueline in-house. Much cheaper and you can keep your top assets up front. Trading for a top end D is a nice fantasy but you're going to pay a heavy price. The Pens are currently proving you don't need a marquee defenseman to go deep in the playoffs.

Have the Jets ever signed a free agent out of Europe before?
Must be nice..

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Have the Jets ever signed a free agent out of Europe before?
Must be nice..

[noparse]
[/noparse]

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Whats with you wanting to trade Ehlers so bad? The value for this is on par, but I don't want to do it and I doubt the Ducks would either.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
A lot of this^.

I'm not happy with our defense as it is configured but we have a great 1st pair and some other good pieces.

I'm not touching Ehlers, Scheifele, Laine to reconfigure our D.
Just about anybody else (other than Morrissey & Trouba of course) could be available for the right price.

I'll go back to Trouba, this is a huge offseason for Chevy, to get him under contract.

If Trouba re-signs Morrissey- Trouba is a great pairing to build around, but if he gets traded Chevy has to find a similar level D-man one way or another.
In a straight up trade or in a different trade, which sadly would have to include a forward in the level of Ehlers. It's so damm difficult to get teams trade their u25 1st pairing guys. I'd be calling Carolina by then.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
If the NHL didn't change the rules in the Playoff's I'd never consider trading Ehlers BUT because they do I would! If you're paying close attention to the playoff's I think he'd be run every second. Maybe he'd respond from the punishment but I wouldn't bet on it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'll go back to Trouba, this is a huge offseason for Chevy, to get him under contract.

If Trouba re-signs Morrissey- Trouba is a great pairing to build around, but if he gets traded Chevy has to find a similar level D-man one way or another.
In a straight up trade or in a different trade, which sadly would have to include a forward in the level of Ehlers. It's so damm difficult to get teams trade their u25 1st pairing guys. I'd be calling Carolina by then.

I have lots of assets (players, picks) I would bundle, either with Trouba or separately to get what we need without touching Ehlers, Scheifele, Laine. I think any trade of Trouba has to at least go a long way toward replacing him.

I would no more trade Ehlers than I would trade Laine. No team is going to part with what I would need to make me part with either of them. It just isn't possible.

But, yes I agree that it is very difficult to get any team to part with top pairing D. That makes signing Trouba the best solution by a wide margin. Back up the Brinks truck Chevy and get it done.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I have lots of assets (players, picks) I would bundle, either with Trouba or separately to get what we need without touching Ehlers, Scheifele, Laine. I think any trade of Trouba has to at least go a long way toward replacing him.

I would no more trade Ehlers than I would trade Laine. No team is going to part with what I would need to make me part with either of them. It just isn't possible.

But, yes I agree that it is very difficult to get any team to part with top pairing D. That makes signing Trouba the best solution by a wide margin. Back up the Brinks truck Chevy and get it done.

If Trouba goes then the D-group(new core) would be missing a leader, and replacing that is near impossible. Only one that could do that but is riskier is Hanifin, but again he would not go for package, it would be a trade for elite forward.

But the good thing with Trouba should be, and what Chevy should be selling is that Trouba is the teams #1D, gets to play 25mins/game, in all situations with one of the best u25 groups around him. He'd have the chance to play for a potential longterm contender with a great contract signed. (Chevy don't go cheap.) How many teams can offer the same? Not many.

I'm not in anyway suggesting Ehlers should get traded, he's one of the best u23 wingers in the game and entertaining to watch.
But the (near future) Cup hopes of the team are now resting on how Chevy handles the Trouba situation.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Trouba goes then the D-group(new core) would be missing a leader, and replacing that is near impossible. Only one that could do that but is riskier is Hanifin, but again he would not go for package, it would be a trade for elite forward.

But the good thing with Trouba should be, and what Chevy should be selling is that Trouba is the teams #1D, gets to play 25mins/game, in all situations with one of the best u25 groups around him. He'd have the chance to play for a potential longterm contender with a great contract signed. (Chevy don't go cheap.) How many teams can offer the same? Not many.

I'm not in anyway suggesting Ehlers should get traded, he's one of the best u23 wingers in the game and entertaining to watch.
But the (near future) Cup hopes of the team are now resting on how Chevy handles the Trouba situation.

You are way overvaluing Hanifin IMO. He is no Werenski. He has not lived up to his pre draft hype. He does not rate an elite anything. I doubt Canes would part with him for anything I would be willing to pay.

Agree with your last sentence. Hope Chevy gets this one right.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Wondering the general consensus would be from other Jets fans.

Prior to the expansion draft

To WPG: Hampus Lindholm To ANH: Nik Ehlers

Expansion: Enstrom has to waive NMC or be bought out and 8-1
(Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Perrault, Trouba, Lindholm, Buff, Myers, Helley)

Connor-Scheif-Wheeler
Perrault-Little-Laine
Dano-Petan-Roslovic
Mathias-Copp-Armia

Morrisey-Trouba
Lindholm-Buff
Enstrom-Myers

OR OPTION 2 if the deal was made (to not lose Lowry)

Expansion: Enstrom STILL has to waive NMC or be bought out 7-3-1
(Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Perrault, Lowry, Copp, Armia, Trouba, Buff, Lindholm, Helly
Myers or Dano taken most likely Myers.

Connor-Scheif-Wheeler
Perrault-Little-Laine
Dano-Petan/Copp-Roslovic
Mathias-Lowry-Armia

Morrisey-Trouba
Lindholm-Buff
Enstrom-Nogier

I think ANH jumps at the chance to get a true top line LW in Ehlers as they have the defensive depth to manage the loss of Lindholm, combined with the benefit of Ehlers being exempt and being exactly what they need (cost controlled 60+P winger). They'd have to ensure Fowler signed to an extension, but pretty sure he's on record as saying he wants to stay long term.

I'm sure this gets absolutely turned down by fans but we'd instantly have one of the best D cores in the league, Lindholm is excellent defensively and would compliment buff. He's also cost controlled on a very team friendly contract.

Smart thing to do (I'll just say it so you don't point it out) is to not lose Myers to expansion and trade him instead of losing him which I agree with. You'd probably lose Dano in that case which is also fine but Myers value is pretty low right now because of the injuries he had last year combined with the CAP hit he carries. I'd try moving him but this would be worst case scenario.

So what do Jets fans think?

It's pretty funny... I waded into this thread based on the Proposal: Trading Ehlers.

I was going to say that hockey is entertainment, and Ehlers is entertainment personified. Then I saw Lindholm in your post, and I'm just here to say, "OK".

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Right now if they thought they cannot keep Trouba long-term I don't see much need to trade Ehlers as Trouba would be the center piece for all the crazy trades. However, if Trouba chooses to stay in the Jets, I would rather trade Ehlers than him. Especially if Connor establishes himself as a future first liner (a real good possibility). Laine becomes less and less dependent on fast skating line mates and can carry the team forward. Ehlers is a fine piece moving forward but he's frustrating as heck at the same time.

Then again, Wheelers and Little should be much closer to the chopping block than Trouba or Ehlers, considering the age factor.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You are way overvaluing Hanifin IMO. He is no Werenski. He has not lived up to his pre draft hype. He does not rate an elite anything. I doubt Canes would part with him for anything I would be willing to pay.

Agree with your last sentence. Hope Chevy gets this one right.

I don't consider Hanifin as a 1st pairing D-man as of today, but he is the only one "available" who could have that potential that I can think of.
Teams just don't allow them to hit market.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Expansion: Enstrom has to waive NMC or be bought out and 8-1
(Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Perrault, Trouba, Lindholm, Buff, Myers, Helley)

Connor-Scheif-Wheeler
Perrault-Little-Laine
Dano-Petan-Roslovic
Mathias-Copp-Armia

Morrisey-Trouba
Lindholm-Buff
Enstrom-Myers

OR OPTION 2 if the deal was made (to not lose Lowry)

Expansion: Enstrom STILL has to waive NMC or be bought out 7-3-1
(Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Perrault, Lowry, Copp, Armia, Trouba, Buff, Lindholm, Helly
Myers or Dano taken most likely Myers.

Connor-Scheif-Wheeler
Perrault-Little-Laine
Dano-Petan/Copp-Roslovic
Mathias-Lowry-Armia

Morrisey-Trouba
Lindholm-Buff
Enstrom-Nogier

I think ANH jumps at the chance to get a true top line LW in Ehlers as they have the defensive depth to manage the loss of Lindholm, combined with the benefit of Ehlers being exempt and being exactly what they need (cost controlled 60+P winger). They'd have to ensure Fowler signed to an extension, but pretty sure he's on record as saying he wants to stay long term.

I'm sure this gets absolutely turned down by fans but we'd instantly have one of the best D cores in the league, Lindholm is excellent defensively and would compliment buff. He's also cost controlled on a very team friendly contract.

Smart thing to do (I'll just say it so you don't point it out) is to not lose Myers to expansion and trade him instead of losing him which I agree with. You'd probably lose Dano in that case which is also fine but Myers value is pretty low right now because of the injuries he had last year combined with the CAP hit he carries. I'd try moving him but this would be worst case scenario.

So what do Jets fans think?

I wanted to come back to the Op because I caught myself saying why the **** are we talking about trading Nik Ehlers of all people? The genesis of this appears to be our obsession with thinking we need help on LHD which we probably don't if we just balance our portfolio. We have 4 clear top four defenders and Enstrom as a high quality #5. We are unsure about our future with Trouba which creates problems because if we flip him our balance could shift hard to the LHD overnight which appears to be less of a problem in the NHL than lopsided right handedness???

Now that being said you talked about a specific trade which is Non XD exempt Lindholm for XD exempt Ehlers and I would do that trade. Then I would aggressively look to move Myers. To be crystal clear I don't think the Ducks would want any part of that trade.

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
Right now if they thought they cannot keep Trouba long-term I don't see much need to trade Ehlers as Trouba would be the center piece for all the crazy trades. However, if Trouba chooses to stay in the Jets, I would rather trade Ehlers than him. Especially if Connor establishes himself as a future first liner (a real good possibility). Laine becomes less and less dependent on fast skating line mates and can carry the team forward. Ehlers is a fine piece moving forward but he's frustrating as heck at the same time.

Then again, Wheelers and Little should be much closer to the chopping block than Trouba or Ehlers, considering the age factor.

Why would we move an already established elite u23 forward and HOPE that Connor can replace him and put up an equal point total? Not to mention Ehlers and Laine are best buds (see Bogo and Trouba). If anything it should be Connor on the chopping block if we are in win now mode which I think we should be.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't consider Hanifin as a 1st pairing D-man as of today, but he is the only one "available" who could have that potential that I can think of.
Teams just don't allow them to hit market.

I think that if we put it out that we are looking for a 1st pair D and dangle Ehlers there would be a few more become available.

If the market were to say that it takes Ehlers to get Hanifin I would do without. Hanifin couldn't even be the main piece in a package to get Ehlers.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I think that if we put it out that we are looking for a 1st pair D and dangle Ehlers there would be a few more become available.

If the market were to say that it takes Ehlers to get Hanifin I would do without. Hanifin couldn't even be the main piece in a package to get Ehlers.

Mort, I love Ehlers as much as the next guy... and I even bought his jersey this season, but I think you're way over-valuing him.

Not saying that I would swap him for Hanifin, but saying that Lindholm for Eherls isn't close in value is false.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

A player who can play on the 1st pairing, absolutely.
But none of Jones, Werenski, Provorov, Ristolainen, Rielly, Lindholm, Ekblad, Parayoko, would become available. Players that are in the Trouba range or share a similar ceiling.
Or Josi, Subban, Hedman, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Doughty, OEL from an older group.

Again the best hope is that Chevy manages to re-sign Trouba longterm this summer. But if he can't I wouldn't be looking at a forward return for Trouba. I'd look for the best D-man possible, even if it means NHL ready D-prospect. It's so damm difficult to win with a bad defense in the playoffs.

Also Hanifin is just 20 and looked a lot better when he got rid of the 3rd pair role. He would not be a + on a trade. He has elite #1D ceiling.

Last edited:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Refreshingly fair proposal, which would benefit both teams.
The general consensus depends on who you are asking.
Jets fans will understandably balk at trading a young star and one of their favourite players.
Ducks fans would say no, or ask for a significant add.
My guess is that objective experts would think it would favour Wpg because young #1D are such rare commodities.
Do I think Ehlers is great? Yup, a true budding star.
Would I do it anyway? Probably, and sadly, though I just can't imagine Ana ever parting with Lindholm.

But to even imagine getting a player like Lindholm, you have to imagine giving up one of your very best players in return.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Why trade Ehlers when we could trade Laine ?????

Imagine the great left D we could get with a Laine trade !!!!!!

Brilliant !!!!!!!!

I don't think we need to trade a star like Ehlers to fix our roster problems. A slightly better goalie than Hutch or Pavs would have given helly some breathing room to improve and a healthy D minus Stuart and Chiarot , Thorburn given a HR office job and our team is instantly better.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Agree with the bolded. No reason to trade Ehlers.

If Trouba stays there is no reason to trade Ehlers either. Wait a year for Myers to rebuild value or for Buffs NTC to open up and trade 1 of them. Play Myers on the left side and trade no one. Trade picks and prospects. Trade some of the veteran players.

Don't trade Ehlers. We aren't going to be able to draft another one like him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wanted to come back to the Op because I caught myself saying why the **** are we talking about trading Nik Ehlers of all people? The genesis of this appears to be our obsession with thinking we need help on LHD which we probably don't if we just balance our portfolio. We have 4 clear top four defenders and Enstrom as a high quality #5. We are unsure about our future with Trouba which creates problems because if we flip him our balance could shift hard to the LHD overnight which appears to be less of a problem in the NHL than lopsided right handedness???

Now that being said you talked about a specific trade which is Non XD exempt Lindholm for XD exempt Ehlers and I would do that trade. Then I would aggressively look to move Myers. To be crystal clear I don't think the Ducks would want any part of that trade.

So then we have yet another D requiring protection. We are forced to sell low on Myers or lose him to VGK.

Even allowing for the value difference between a LW and a top 4 D I don't believe Lindholm is equal to Ehlers. Ehlers just scored 64 pts as a 20 YO. He is still on a steeply improving trajectory. IMO Ehlers will have far more impact on wins than Lindholm will.

I've been saying that Ehlers is untouchable and i really mean that. It would take a silly offer to get me to part with Ehlers. No one would pay what it would take.

Maybe that changes in another year or two but I want to see how good he can get before letting him go.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00