Proposal: Trading Ehlers

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Wondering the general consensus would be from other Jets fans.

Prior to the expansion draft

To WPG: Hampus Lindholm To ANH: Nik Ehlers

Expansion: Enstrom has to waive NMC or be bought out and 8-1
(Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Perrault, Trouba, Lindholm, Buff, Myers, Helley)

Connor-Scheif-Wheeler
Perrault-Little-Laine
Dano-Petan-Roslovic
Mathias-Copp-Armia

Morrisey-Trouba
Lindholm-Buff
Enstrom-Myers

OR OPTION 2 if the deal was made (to not lose Lowry)

Expansion: Enstrom STILL has to waive NMC or be bought out 7-3-1
(Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Perrault, Lowry, Copp, Armia, Trouba, Buff, Lindholm, Helly
Myers or Dano taken most likely Myers.

Connor-Scheif-Wheeler
Perrault-Little-Laine
Dano-Petan/Copp-Roslovic
Mathias-Lowry-Armia

Morrisey-Trouba
Lindholm-Buff
Enstrom-Nogier

I think ANH jumps at the chance to get a true top line LW in Ehlers as they have the defensive depth to manage the loss of Lindholm, combined with the benefit of Ehlers being exempt and being exactly what they need (cost controlled 60+P winger). They'd have to ensure Fowler signed to an extension, but pretty sure he's on record as saying he wants to stay long term.

I'm sure this gets absolutely turned down by fans but we'd instantly have one of the best D cores in the league, Lindholm is excellent defensively and would compliment buff. He's also cost controlled on a very team friendly contract.

Smart thing to do (I'll just say it so you don't point it out) is to not lose Myers to expansion and trade him instead of losing him which I agree with. You'd probably lose Dano in that case which is also fine but Myers value is pretty low right now because of the injuries he had last year combined with the CAP hit he carries. I'd try moving him but this would be worst case scenario.

So what do Jets fans think?

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
jets wouldn't do it more though

I'm not so sure about that, Lindholm would easily be our best LHD and is signed to a decent contract through the 21-22 season.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to trade Ehlers, but you would have to think pretty hard about that deal... especially w/ the price of D-men.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He is the most exciting player with the puck that we have.

The new "core"

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
I'm not so sure about that, Lindholm would easily be our best LHD and is signed to a decent contract through the 21-22 season.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to trade Ehlers, but you would have to think pretty hard about that deal... especially w/ the price of D-men.

please. ehlers is much more valuable than lindholm

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
please. ehlers is much more valuable than lindholm

And everyone thought that Hall was much more valuable than Larsson, but here we are.

Listen, I already said I wouldn't trade Ehlers, I just don't think this is as lopsided as you are making it out to be.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Considering Ehlers' age and his development trajectory there isn't any trade I could imagine another team offering that would persuade me to part with Ehlers at this point.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
From reading through all the comments in this thread, I'd like to see someone post this in the Ducks forum. I wouldn't be surprised if there was lots of "Jets need to add", etc. :laugh:

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Well it would definitely allow me to watch him play live more often... but I think it would be a dumb move by the Jets longterm. While I am clearly biased I truly believe Ehlers has one of the highest ceilings of any forward in the league. Lindholm would be awesome as a Jet but all I really think the Jets need is a left stay at home defender that can play 2nd and 3rd pairing.

Edit: I actually think the value is fair.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
And everyone thought that Hall was much more valuable than Larsson, but here we are.

Listen, I already said I wouldn't trade Ehlers, I just don't think this is as lopsided as you are making it out to be.

he actually is much more valuable than larsson.

it's quite lopsided. ehlers already has a bigger impact on his team and hasn't even reached his peak yet

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Well it would definitely allow me to watch him play live more often... but I think it would be a dumb move by the Jets longterm. While I am clearly biased I truly believe Ehlers has one of the highest ceilings of any forward in the league. Lindholm would be awesome as a Jet but all I really think the Jets need is a left stay at home defender that can play 2nd and 3rd pairing.

I agree here.

Our top four D man wise is decent, and with possible entries by Poolman, possibly Niku, we really need a LHD for our third pairing that can challenge the top or second pairing for minutes.

But stay at home D is what was clearly shown to us at the end of the season, as great fits with our forwards. We did better with worse D, simply because they kept it simple and utilized our greatest strength, our forwards.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
You keep Ehlers, maybe look at moving Connor in a season.

Problem is Lindholm isn't available later! the ONLY reason this can happen is because of the Ducks expansion situation. Lindholm is a top pairng defenseman at 23 years old. He's a possession beast. Again, I hate losing Ehlers BUT getting a true top pairng LHD gives the jets essentially two top pairing Defensive lines equivalent to what the two teams currently in the West Final are running! Enstrom just isn't going to cut it and our LHD depth can't replace him fast enough before the young RFAs need contracts. We're not getting anyone good without trading someone good!

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Problem is Lindholm isn't available later! the ONLY reason this can happen is because of the Ducks expansion situation. Lindholm is a top pairng defenseman at 23 years old. He's a possession beast. Again, I hate losing Ehlers BUT getting a true top pairng LHD gives the jets essentially two top pairing Defensive lines equivalent to what the two teams currently in the West Final are running! Enstrom just isn't going to cut it and our LHD depth can't replace him fast enough before the young RFAs need contracts. We're not getting anyone good without trading someone good!

Sorry, regardless of what we are trading for, I do not let Ehlers go as we will regret it in 5 years time.

Factor in he has on and off ice chemistry with Laine, I do not mess with that. I also believe Morrissey has top pairing in him, and would rather hold out for that, keep Ehlers and look to strengthen our 2nd and 3rd pairing right sides.

I like Lindholm, was for moving Trouba for him, until Trouba went HAM this past season.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I don't think the value is all that far off, one for one, but I don't think either team does it. FWIW worth I think Ehlers is more valuable than Hall but then I think Lindholm holds more value than Larsson as well.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sorry, regardless of what we are trading for, I do not let Ehlers go as we will regret it in 5 years time.

Factor in he has on and off ice chemistry with Laine, I do not mess with that. I also believe Morrissey has top pairing in him, and would rather hold out for that, keep Ehlers and look to strengthen our 2nd and 3rd pairing right sides.

I like Lindholm, was for moving Trouba for him, until Trouba went HAM this past season.

Morrissey's WAR stats this past season where very comparable to Lindholms. Simply put his emergence imo has given the organization the luxury or doing as you stated by focusing on upgrading the 2nd and third pair instead of paying a premium for another first pairing guy.

Despite his off year Buff is still a first pair dmen which gives the Jets 3 of them with Trouba trending to top 5 in the league. We don't need nor will we have the cap to add another top pairing calibre guy. The Jets need to focus on finding a good 2nd pairing guy on a Perrault like bargain contract. Maybe that's Myers or Maybe the Jets do another Bogo type deal where Myers at some point next season is flipped for an equivalent LD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad