Value of: Trading Draisaitl

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Changed to value of:

If you wish to discuss value, you can. If not I think we can let this thread die.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
then what is? They're capped out and don't have great prospects to deal.

Have some damn patience. The cap situation is only tight for one season and even next year they got about $7 million in cap space.

The year after that they have $22+ million in cap room, the year after that it's $40+ million in cap room.

A GM shouldn't be spending willy nilly on the UFA market anyway, 95% of the big money contracts signed off the UFA market are ones teams end up regretting within 2 years.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Not really. Trading him just opens up another hole and effectively ends McDavid and Drai permanently.

Issue with that is the team isn't making the playoffs next year then without either winning the lottery or Koskinen/ufa goalie/trade, playing at a .920 sv% level.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Have some damn patience. The cap situation is only tight for one season and even next year they got about $7 million in cap space.

The year after that they have $22+ million in cap room, the year after that it's $40+ million in cap room.

A GM shouldn't be spending willy nilly on the UFA market anyway, 95% of the big money contracts signed off the UFA market are ones teams end up regretting within 2 years.

Eh, if you can find a mid level guy that would help short term it would be nice.

Can't keep wasting Mcdavid because you don't want to go against the cap

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Eh, if you can find a mid level guy that would help short term it would be nice.

Can't keep wasting Mcdavid because you don't want to go against the cap

Trading their second best player for "need" is the exact type of stupidity that led them into this mess, so doing the same thing again is going to somehow get them out?

If they had kept freaking Taylor Hall, they would have McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, RNH upfront ... that is the best top six in the NHL even with two middling wingers throw in.

Instead they destroyed that because of logic like what you're suggesting.

Lets quit with the pity party over McDavid not playing in the playoffs for two whopping years too. Big whoop. Iginla missed the playoffs 7 straight years at one point. Mario Lemieux didn't make the playoffs for 5 years. Nathan MacKinnon has missed the playoffs for 2 years in a row. Jack Eichel hasn't played a single playoff game yet. They didn't die from it.

Yes it's not good, but lets also have some perspective too.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I was quietly in the non-Edmonton-fan group that thought turning Draisatl into a smorgasbord of assets and/or cap relief (likely in a series of transactions) was the option for Edmonton, but seeing how close he has gotten to contending for the Rocket has made me rethink that a little bit. Unless, as the swirly-orange-avatared Edmonton poster whose name escapes me at the moment said, the package is too good to be true, I'm more in the wait-and-see what happens in the lottery camp.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Instead of just dismissing it, how about thinking about how a HOCKEY TRADE might look, instead of a futures trade?

Draisaitl would obviously bring a LOT.

RNH and McDavid are the 2 centers to start with. You need wing scoring, goaltending and defense. So look at how many teams could give you that in mostly PROVEN NHL talent and still would love to add a young stud center.

Let's say you are Tampa and somehow lose in the 2nd round and need to maybe change things. Suppose the offer for Draisaitl is:

Point, Cirelli and Sergachev for Draisaitl . . . do you really hang up the phone on that without thinking long and hard?

Maybe St. Louis can offer Allen, Parayko and Schwartz.

Maybe Boston could offer Krejci, DeBrusk, Krug, etc . . .

Maybe Carolina offers Svechnikov, Teravainen and Pesce . . .

There are ways to reconfigure a team in a hockey sense that makes you at least think about these types of moves. You just missed the playoffs AGAIN, why is Draisaitl untouchable? RNH will not bring back what you need by himself.

A hockey trade like one of those also lets you trade down for a lower pick and another defenseman, like Fowler and the lower 1st could be used on Spencer Knight (heck, draft another goalie in the 2nd or 3rd round).

If you are okay with trying to reconfigure you could come out of this with a completely re-done, much more balanced lineup.

Blues and Lightning don’t offer that to begin with. CP is on the top pair and I full expect Schwartz to return to his normal shooting percentage.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Let's say you are Tampa and somehow lose in the 2nd round and need to maybe change things. Suppose the offer for Draisaitl is:

Point, Cirelli and Sergachev for Draisaitl . . . do you really hang up the phone on that without thinking long and hard?

The Lightning hang up before you finish saying Poin...

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Few packages for fun with the Ducks (assuming Kes/Eaves LTIRetire):

1)
Drai

for

Rakell
Silf
Steel

- Oilers get an entire second line, on great contracts.
- Ducks get a top-tier superstar C to replace Getzlaf for years to come and clear up some of their young winger logjam.

2)
Drai
Nurse

for

Lindholm
Rakell
2019 1st-round (ANA)

- Oil add a 30G+ winger, upgrade on LD to a true top-pairing presence, while saving substantial money. They also add another Top10 lotto pick in this year's draft.
- Ducks downgrade on D but still have a decent Top4 (Fowler, Nurse, Manson, Larsson) as along as the new coach plays more of a 'team D' style. Acquiring Drai speaks for itself and is explained above.

Not even ****ing close

Reactions: 780il

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
If Oilers don't trade Drai for some quality depth (and their 1st round pick); McDavid will leave anyways if Oilers have another 1-2 no-playoff seasons...it's a given.

Reactions: Devonator

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If Oilers don't trade Drai for some quality depth (and their 1st round pick); McDavid will leave anyways if Oilers have another 1-2 no-playoff seasons...it's a given.

Trading a 102 point, 47 goal player that’s also one of McDavid’s closest friends for depth and picks would all but assure he demands a trade out of town. Depth is far, far easier to come by for a competent GM than a player of Leon’s caliber. I can’t even describe how miserable an idea this is.

Anyone wanting Draisaitl would need to make it so insanely worth Edmonton’s time that the team getting him would not be made better by virtue of all the pieces they would lose.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
[mod]

All signs point to him asking for one of we get embarrassed again next year. Drastic changes will be made this summer, guaranteed. If the Oilers org loses Mcdavid it also loses a large part of its fans...

Mcdavid isn't being traded just for the f*** of it...

Last edited by a moderator:

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I'm bored so don't anyone take this personal now.

to PHI:
Draisaitl

to EDM:
Couturier
Konecny
Sanheim

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
All signs point to him asking for one of we get embarrassed again next year. Drastic changes will be made this summer, guaranteed. If the Oilers org loses Mcdavid it also loses a large part of its fans...

Mcdavid isn't being traded just for the **** of it...

What type of drastic changes do you refer to? New GM? coach? What trades (real tough to trade some of those ugly ones)?

I can see some minor changes to add depth, new GM and coach......but coach/GM are a given. I’m not saying no improvements can be made in this short time period (this summer), but I don’t see any significant improvements being realized “on the ice” this summer.......I think it’s a multi year job to fix the mess via good drafting & very clever FA signings/trades.

No I’m not pushing the panic button saying McDavid is going to demand a trade....but I’m wondering what does he need to see as improvements Year to year to avoid any trade demands down the road. Plus I sure that management team is having a real good & honest/transparent end of season meeting with him before he leaves for the summer.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What type of drastic changes do you refer to? New GM? coach? What trades (real tough to trade some of those ugly ones)?

I can see some minor changes to add depth, new GM and coach......but coach/GM are a given. I’m not saying no improvements can be made in this short time period (this summer), but I don’t see any significant improvements being realized “on the ice” this summer.......I think it’s a multi year job to fix the mess via good drafting & very clever FA signings/trades.

No I’m not pushing the panic button saying McDavid is going to demand a trade....but I’m wondering what does he need to see as improvements Year to year to avoid any trade demands down the road. Plus I sure that management team is having a real good & honest/transparent end of season meeting with him before he leaves for the summer.

The easiest fix to short term improvement is adding wingers. There was so much smoke around Connor Brown to Edmonton at the deadline I think that for sure happens this summer. I also don’t see a scenario where the likely AHL rookie of the year Tyler Benson isn’t on this team. That’s an immediate improvement for no additional cap space.

Looking at our cap structure, I think we have room to add one significant winger in free agency - Nyquist, Nelson, someone of that ilk.

The biggest question is how to improve our bottom six on a near-zero budget, we need to find a 30 ish game backup, relatively cheaply, and we absolutely can’t have Russell playing on his wrong side any more.

I would roll a forward lineup something along these lines:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Benson-RNH-Nyquist
Khaira-Wilson-Brown
Gambardella-Marody-Gagner

And see how that plays out. There was a lot of rumblings that the Oilers had some good conversations around moving Lucic, I think it happens this summer.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Not really how it works . 22 million with how many roster players signed ? If we have say 8 players to resign in 202o that eats into the cap the year after unless you are signing everyone to 1 year deals

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The easiest fix to short term improvement is adding wingers. There was so much smoke around Connor Brown to Edmonton at the deadline I think that for sure happens this summer. I also don’t see a scenario where the likely AHL rookie of the year Tyler Benson isn’t on this team. That’s an immediate improvement for no additional cap space.

Looking at our cap structure, I think we have room to add one significant winger in free agency - Nyquist, Nelson, someone of that ilk.

The biggest question is how to improve our bottom six on a near-zero budget, we need to find a 30 ish game backup, relatively cheaply, and we absolutely can’t have Russell playing on his wrong side any more.

Benson-RNH-Nyquist
Khaira-Wilson-Brown

And see how that plays out. There was a lot of rumblings that the Oilers had some good conversations around moving Lucic, I think it happens this summer.

Moving Lucic would be a huge plus if they could swing it without giving up a good young prospect or high pick.....tough to workout but huge positive if successful.

Nyquist would be a nice add. Brown wouldn’t cost much via trade to get would help top 9. Tanev from the Jets as a FA would help both sides up the puck & with speed/heart. These would be all good first steps but still a long road ahead before being a good team orcontender. That will require continued good drafting & FA signings to fill out the roster. Hopefully McDavid sees enough positives this summer to keep him satasfied with the progress thatit buys management enough time to add more quality pieces over the next couple years.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Moving Lucic would be a huge plus if they could swing it without giving up a good young prospect or high pick.....tough to workout but huge positive if successful.

Nyquist would be a nice add. Brown wouldn’t cost much via trade to get would help top 9. Tanev from the Jets as a FA would help both sides up the puck & with speed/heart. These would be all good first steps but still a long road ahead before being a good team orcontender. That will require continued good drafting & FA signings to fill out the roster. Hopefully McDavid sees enough positives this summer to keep him satasfied with the progress thatit buys management enough time to add more quality pieces over the next couple years.

Have to get to the playoffs before contending is an option and I think that lineup does it. After next year Russell and Sekera have a year left and become much easier to move, and Gagner is gone. Baby steps forward. Anyone that thinks the Oilers are going to go from 77-81 points to contender over one summer are fooling themselves.

We’ve talked about Tanev before and I think he could play third line here. He’d be a nice add depending on what his contract ask is.

Reactions: Hunter368

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Benson
-RNH-Nyquist
Khaira-Wilson-Brown

I don't see Kassian as a long term solution on the top line. He is far too streaky a player, and when he disappears for another long stretch he'll be moved off that line.

It would be great if Tyler Benson can fill out a top 6 role but I don't think we can count on that in his first year in the NHL. Plus he'll have to stay healthy.

Marody and Gambardella are also question marks. and a $3+ Million dollar contract on the 4th line is a waste of cap.

Also the presumption of a Lucic trade... that is a big one.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Nicholson went on a long tangent about pro scouting and just scouting in general... Along with a new GM and Coach we most likely end up with new scouts. Maybe the OBC get moved into different non hockey related positions upstairs (this is the Oilers way of firing them).

Whoever the new GM is will be under pressure to win. The 1st rounder is gonna be traded almost for sure if we don't win a lottery for a top 3 pick. Mcdavid and Drai need help, and they need it now.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't see Kassian as a long term solution on the top line. He is far too streaky a player, and when he disappears for another long stretch he'll be moved off that line.

It would be great if Tyler Benson can fill out a top 6 role but I don't think we can count on that in his first year in the NHL. Plus he'll have to stay healthy.

Marody and Gambardella are also question marks. and a $3+ Million dollar contract on the 4th line is a waste of cap.

Also the presumption of a Lucic trade... that is a big one.

It’s the hand we’re dealt with Gagner. By having him on the fourth line at evens I’m trying to emulate what made him so successful in Columbus - limited even strength minutes with heavy PP time.

Kassian is streaky but I’d expect a decent amount of juggling. He’s been fine there for now.

Gambardella I’ve seen enough of to be comfortable with him in a 4th line role. Marody is an elite AHL player, he’d be more than OK in a fourth line role. We also still have Cave under contract if you’d prefer him.

Benson is the biggest question mark which is why I have him with RNH. He and Nyquist are both strong players who could insulate him and show him the ropes. I’m all for overseasoning prospects but for me guys are ready when they’re ready. You can’t look at guys having PPG+ seasons in the AHL and not at least give them a fair crack at a roster spot. High performing players need to be rewarded, otherwise what’s the point of the AHL?

Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad