Trades & Proposals Thread 2016... Is it Trade Deadline Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLifer

Jan 8, 2011
Toronto
200.gif

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Not a chance. Our top pick plus one of our top 2 prospects is more valuable than a single player who while projected to be better than any of the three alone is not worth two togeather.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylanders post draft year play has been absolutely phenomenal- Matthews may be better but i don't do that deal straight up for Nylander.

I also would deal Marner and the Leafs 1st. I'd rather have two "A" assets than 1 "A+" asset. Hockey isn't basketball, - single player can't carry a team on his own, it takes a core of them.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We aren't going to hear anything either. Love it.

It's easy to speculate about Polak, and Parenteau and Boyes etc, because those are guys we know are going to move.

The less we hear Tyler Bozak, and Dion Phaneuf, and Joffery Lupul, increases the chances they are being talked about IMO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Phaneuf to Dallas if a big trade happens.

If they dont get Dion, theyre probably in on Polak

I've been saying Phaneuf to Dallas makes sense, and it makes even more sense to take on both Lehtonen and Hemsky in the trade.

Phaneuf, Bernier and a depth player (Frattin, etc) for Lehtonen, Hemsky, good prospect (Johns, Faksa, Lindell, etc) and a 1st rounder.

I'd be OK with this I think? Maybe the 1st rounder is too much to ask but I'm pretty sure Lehtonen is a big time anchor with zero value and with Hemsky on top, I don't think it's being too greedy considering that the pick will be bottom 5 or so.

Leafs can then buy out Hemsky and/or Lehtonen depending on what's going on at the time. (Can we re-sign Reimer, is Hemsky playing well, etc)

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm personally of the belief that Leafs are more likely to deal Matthews away for a truck load of assets as opposed to trading away a bunch of their own assets to obtain him. IMO.

If the Leafs happen to win the lottery and have the top pick. There will be some serious offers coming in from other teams to try and obtain it.

While at the end of the day I doubt Leafs would deal the pick away, the odds would be higher of that happening then Leafs dealing up to get him.

A team dealing out of the first spot is always fun to speculate on, but likely not a very smart move in hockey terms or in P.R. terms. The Leafs haven't had a big number one center since 2008, I don't see why they'd deal the best chance at obtaining one of the best ones to come along in a decade for other parts.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nylanders post draft year play has been absolutely phenomenal- Matthews may be better but i don't do that deal straight up for Nylander.

I also would deal Marner and the Leafs 1st. I'd rather have two "A" assets than 1 "A+" asset. Hockey isn't basketball, - single player can't carry a team on his own, it takes a core of them.

If the Leafs first is Laine, I don't deal Laine and Marner for Matthews. But if it's Marner and lesser assets and picks, I do that after some consideration because you're getting a growth spurt and a talent upgrade in Matthews.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd do the Pittsburgh first and Marner probably... after some soul searching...

That deal is more intriguing

Matthews + the Leafs 1st (Puljujarvi, Laine, Tkachuk, Nylander?)

Or

The Leafs 1st (one of those names mentioned above) + Marner + that mid round first (would have to trust Hunter here to pick a high upside player, but more risk)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Phaneuf to Dallas if a big trade happens.

If they dont get Dion, theyre probably in on Polak

That's exactly what I see, Dallas has been scouting us a lot and if they don't get Dion, they will want Polak, defence is their weakness but they have a lot of good young forwards, so Toronto wants maybe Valeri Nichushkin, Mattias Janmark or Brett Ritchie plus a 1st for Dion and maybe one of those players, or a draft choice for Polak and a cap dump

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
1992:

Eric Lindros

for

Steve Duchesne - 27 year old top pairing offensive defenseman
Peter Forsberg - Flyers best prospect outside the NHL
Ron Hextall - starting NHL goalie, middling quality at the time
Kerry Huffman - bottom pairing NHL defenseman
Mike Ricci - 2nd line center
Chris Simon - energy forward prospect
$15M
2 x 1st round picks

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I've been saying Phaneuf to Dallas makes sense, and it makes even more sense to take on both Lehtonen and Hemsky in the trade.

Phaneuf, Bernier and a depth player (Frattin, etc) for Lehtonen, Hemsky, good prospect (Johns, Faksa, Lindell, etc) and a 1st rounder.

I'd be OK with this I think? Maybe the 1st rounder is too much to ask but I'm pretty sure Lehtonen is a big time anchor with zero value and with Hemsky on top, I don't think it's being too greedy considering that the pick will be bottom 5 or so.

Leafs can then buy out Hemsky and/or Lehtonen depending on what's going on at the time. (Can we re-sign Reimer, is Hemsky playing well, etc)

I had this idea last week :p:

Taking on both Lehtonen and Hemsky would be a good alternative to retaining salary on Phaneuf ... And I think Reimer makes more sense for Dallas on the basis that Reimer has played very well this season and would be an upgrade for their run over what they're getting in net now while not costing them cap space in the future.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I think mathematically the 1st overall has less chance of producing an elite player than a pair of 4th overalls

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Run with Lehtonen and Sparks next season?

I can see it.

Option just to keep Reimer as well

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

i think that it would be tough to trade phaneuf during the season. it is a lot of money and term to take on 3/4 through a season. that type of deal is better in the summer when it can be factored into the years cap.

i wonder if something around bernier and lehtonen could happen?

bernier 50% retained for lehtonen 25% retained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad