GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I really see the islanders pushing to get
Marner. They need some offence and he would work well with Barzal.

Marner plus Lilly for Sorokin and Pulock?
I mean that could work, that's a lot of $ and term to bring on board, so you better like Pulock.

I think Marner (re-signed) for Sorokin could work; the Islanders may not like the giving up a lot of age between him and Varlamov. So maybe Woll goes as well, with a winger (Holmstrom) coming back here.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Roy would break Marner within a week, I don’t see Mitch agreeing to go there. In the event that he would waive, Marner + for Noah Dobson should be the target there.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marner has a NMC.

Highly doubt he moves it to accommodate a move.

NMCs can be waived. Why would he waive? I dunno but many players have waived their NMCs before. There's an insane amount of pressure on him, all warranted of course, and it won't get easier. Maybe he won't mind moving on if the team flames out early again.

By all accounts he wants to stay. I think Marner is a great player and I think he should stay anyway. But I completely understand the full out frustration.

I would also want to see how he does under a new coach. If it's the same old story, you let him walk... Not much else to do if he refuses to waive and wants to stay. Maybe he shouldn't ask for top 5 money though?

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
NMCs can be waived. Why would he waive? I dunno but many players have waived their NMCs before. There's an insane amount of pressure on him, all warranted of course, and it won't get easier. Maybe he won't mind moving on if the team flames out early again.

By all accounts he wants to stay. I think Marner is a great player and I think he should stay anyway. But I completely understand the full out frustration.

I would also want to see how he does under a new coach. If it's the same old story, you let him walk... Not much else to do if he refuses to waive and wants to stay. Maybe he shouldn't ask for top 5 money though?
You can try and pressure him into it. Tell him an extension is essentially off the table entirely and you want to get him a fresh start out of this hell Marner created for himself with his last negotiations.

Reactions: aingefan

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'd be really scared about what Treliving would do in a big big big blockbuster trade... his last big trade was a bit of a dud.
I mean end of the day if we are trading him probably have to go in eye's wide open we aren't going to get comparable value back. Marner can essentially control where he goes and if not we lose him for nothing in a year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I doubt Marner will do him any favors either if they try to force him to waive, ugly

Yeah... he was about to give the Leafs all the favours to stay...

He can take his chance in free agency then, what else can you do.

Reactions: Kiwi

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I mean end of the day if we are trading him probably have to go in eye's wide open we aren't going to get comparable value back. Marner can essentially control where he goes and if not we lose him for nothing in a year.

That's fair. I'd expect a fairly similar return to the Tkachuk trade. Hopefully it doesn't include a 10.5M Huberdeau level player though.

But I hope he stays. The new coach can probably unlock something here.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
That's fair. I'd expect a fairly similar return to the Tkachuk trade. Hopefully it doesn't include a 10.5M Huberdeau level player though.

But I hope he stays. The new coach can probably unlock something here.
I think it would be significantly less in terms of value. I would probably just bring him back for a year to see if it works with a new coach...if it doesn't let him go to free agency and try and utilize the cap space.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Everyone he’s signed have dissapeared
Leafs are worse this year then last year

I hope he is not stupid enough to bet everything on this core. We will see.

Finally 1 more game left for keefe and the rest of the losers in management
Can we hold a lottery to see who gets to drive each one to the airport?

Reactions: alliuk12

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think it would be significantly less in terms of value. I would probably just bring him back for a year to see if it works with a new coach...if it doesn't let him go to free agency and try and utilize the cap space.

I dunno about significantly less but there's probably some issues with Marner being 1 year away from being a UFA. But assuming the team that gets him want to pay him, I don't see why the return would be less.

There will be a limited amount of teams capable of acquiring him as well, especially with the NMC. But there would be a lot of teams interested nonetheless. A team like the Kraken would probably give up a lot to acquire a legit star player, and Seattle ain't a bad place to be in.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Last year we had some flexibility and chose to double down.

Next year we have some problems...

1) NTCs are in place
2) Raises trigger, including Keefe's extension
3) Not much available on the goalie market

Going to be either an interesting offseason, or an extremely underwhelming one. Hopefully we can snag at least a couple really good defensemen and get lucky with an under the radar goalie signing.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Last year we had some flexibility and chose to double down.

Next year we have some problems...

1) NTCs are in place
2) Raises trigger, including Keefe's extension
3) Not much available on the goalie market

Going to be either an interesting offseason, or an extremely underwhelming one. Hopefully we can snag at least a couple really good defensemen and get lucky with an under the radar goalie signing.

I don't think it matters for Keefe, extension or not. Unacceptable end of the season + playoffs, that's the business. And that's part of the problem with Treliving, he came in and didn't want to rock the boat. Probably instructions from Shanahan to keep tweaking the edges but he just didn't address enough. The Klingberg fiasco was mind boggling stupid.

There's still a good team here. But obviously, something needs to change and that requires a lot of work, risk and aggressive maneuvering. Instead of waiting until the trade deadline, it might be time to be aggressive at the draft and off-season instead. I won't pretend I have all the answers or know how to go about fixing this mess but that's why they get paid to do it.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You can try and pressure him into it. Tell him an extension is essentially off the table entirely and you want to get him a fresh start out of this hell Marner created for himself with his last negotiations.

The fans may turn on him after this play-offs... so he might want to get out of town....

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
If Pelley dumps Shanny I would think Everyone goes. Tre as well even though he only had a year.

My vote is to throw whatever money is needed to get Jimmy Rutherford as PoHO from Van and let him Build it all out.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I mean our defense is horrible. Our C ice position is terrible besides Matthews. JT is very slow mentally and physically and just simply not good at hockey especially not up the middle. Holmberg is not a 3C. Samsonov is not a good goalie technically at all, he battles but Woll is much better technically.

You cant have a below average goalie, below average defense and only one effective C. That's the backbone of your team. Wingers are just simply the least important position and that is our strongest and deepest position by far. We know this as we've been down this path before.

Coaching is a problem too as Boston clearly made an adjustment to their breakout that foiled us tonight. Its definitely a personnel problem but its not necessarily our star players fault, put them in a different situation and they would thrive. Look at Eichel, marked as toxic and a "non-winner" and that's clearly not the case. Skilled players are skilled players just takes the right environment and team.

Reactions: Revolt and Kurtz

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

The thing is MM will get points in the regular season and if you wait to see how he plays under the new coach before making a decision, it might be another playoffs failure.
To me, Caps is the best destination for MM. As MM will make it easier for Ovie, no pressure for MM since Caps is Ovie, Carlson and Wilson team.
Just don’t know which pieces the Caps is willing to trade for MM.

Reactions: ToneDog and Pigskin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad