GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I mean our defense is horrible. Our C ice position is terrible besides Matthews. JT is very slow mentally and physically and just simply not good at hockey especially not up the middle. Holmberg is not a 3C. Samsonov is not a good goalie technically at all, he battles but Woll is much better technically.

You cant have a below average goalie, below average defense and only one effective C. That's the backbone of your team. Wingers are just simply the least important position and that is our strongest and deepest position by far. We know this as we've been down this path before.

Coaching is a problem too as Boston clearly made an adjustment to their breakout that foiled us tonight. Its definitely a personnel problem but its not necessarily our star players fault, put them in a different situation and they would thrive. Look at Eichel, marked as toxic and a "non-winner" and that's clearly not the case. Skilled players are skilled players just takes the right environment and team.
The thing is that we lack Alpha on the team. Eichel was in the alpha role with the Sabres, as ROR wasn’t ROR yet. Once Eichel went to Vegas, he plays the scoring role as Stone, Mass and even Pietra are the alphas on the team.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I tried to come up with a Marner trade and failed. Maybe something with Chicago centering around Jones? Otherwise, I just can't...

This game was so depressing. F me.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I tried to come up with a Marner trade and failed. Maybe something with Chicago centering around Jones? Otherwise, I just can't...

Honestly, I'd take a pretty soft package as long as it came with a lot of capspace. We're not getting a home run trade at this point, but we can still get some useful pieces, a good chunk of capspace, and a culture/roster construction change (which this stale team needs - tinkering around the edges hasn't worked).

We should have traded him 4-5 years ago when his value was much higher, but now he's a UFA in a year and his playoff hockey just continues to get showcased to the league, so I imagine his value is down.

Reactions: meefer

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I think we should try and target a guy like a Brandon Montour this off-season. Rielly clearly can't QB a #1 PP to the capability that is needed during the playoffs and Montour would add some much needed mobility to our backend as well.

Also, I hope we move on from Marner this offseason and maybe finally acquire a steady goalie.

Reactions: weems and ToneDog

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

We would have to take on a bunch of short-term contracts, unfortunately.

I'd rather Marner leave for nothing than take on Seth Jones' contract.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
As much as Marner takes the heat, I’d argue that at they all fail in the playoffs. Heck, Matthews was sick? Bergeron(?) played through a punctured lung, one of them did. I don’t know, but my frustration is high. People dog JT, but to my eyes he’s the one who tries the most, it just ain’t there anymore and we knew that would happen. Nylander’s first game back and there was a board battle behind the Bruins net in the 2nd and Willy glides up and simply stands there, watching and doing sfa. I’m an old fart, love watching talented players, but I do miss that ‘do anything’ nature we so obviously lack. None of them have it.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
As much as Marner takes the heat, I’d argue that at they all fail in the playoffs. Heck, Matthews was sick? Bergeron(?) played through a punctured lung, one of them did. I don’t know, but my frustration is high. People dog JT, but to my eyes he’s the one who tries the most, it just ain’t there anymore and we knew that would happen. Nylander’s first game back and there was a board battle behind the Bruins net in the 2nd and Willy glides up and simply stands there, watching and doing sfa. I’m an old fart, love watching talented players, but I do miss that ‘do anything’ nature we so obviously lack. None of them have it.
Bergeron sat out games in a Series against us. Odd example.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think we should try and target a guy like a Brandon Montour this off-season. Rielly clearly can't QB a #1 PP to the capability that is needed during the playoffs and Montour would add some much needed mobility to our backend as well.

Also, I hope we move on from Marner this offseason and maybe finally acquire a steady goalie.
That's one of the biggest needs and has been for a long time. A legitimate shot from the point on the PP to keep the other team honest and give up some space for our forwards.

That's one of the main reasons our PP is effective in the regular season but in the playoffs, it is nullified.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
That's one of the biggest needs and has been for a long time. A legitimate shot from the point on the PP to keep the other team honest and give up some space for our forwards.

That's one of the main reasons our PP is effective in the regular season but in the playoffs, it is nullified.
Teams just clog the middle of the ice as we don’t have a threat from the outside. It’s been happening for years and we keep failing to address the issue, along with a lot of other issues this roster has. The only time this team addressed a glaring issue was acquiring Muzzin and unfortunately that didn’t last long due to him getting injured.

Reactions: uncleben

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Something around Marner for Zegras + Gudas?

I’ll be honest, I don’t watch the Ducks play so I’m not sure if Zegras is actually a good player but I do want a 2C back in a trade.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

I’ll be honest, I don’t watch the Ducks play so I’m not sure if Zegras is actually a good player but I do want a 2C back in a trade.
Terrible deal for us.

I think you need to get a top pairing D back and one who has a shot from the point. Montour is a great target.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
There are tons of trading options, a 3rd team probably has to get involved to eat some salary. I don't think Marner's NMC is going to stand in the way here (Paul is a different story), Mitch would most likely welcome a move at this point.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

I would do extended Marner for Mctavish if he would go there.

Verbeek said he’s was looking for a top line rw.

Could also do a trade with la.

Pld/clarke would be bold.
Fiala 1 for 1. Would give us 4 million in cap.

Seattle for wright.

Reactions: aingefan and Zero1

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I like the Dallas ideas. I also like the Ottawa ideas.

Here's mine:

Ottawa
Marner
Liljegren

Toronto
Batherson
Chabot

Why Ottawa does it: they need to get into the playoffs. Badly. Having a 100 point winger will help them tremendously to achieve this goal. He may even perform in the playoffs with different linemates, expectations and systems. Both Mitch and Lily need a change of scenery. Lily, although he's not Chabot, has shown signs of being a solid top-4 guy and may reach that goal in a different system. They don't seem to have faith in him over here. Both guys need a psychological boost/change. Also, there's talk that Chabot may have to be traded this summer due to the team not being able to allocate so much money into the backend. Chychrun is an RD, which may make the team prioritize signing him over Chabot. Lily is a very cost-effective option for the Sens.

Why Toronto does it: Chabot and Batherson are both big guys who seem to have the drive. Batherson is a 60+ point, 25-30 goal type of guy. He's not Marner, but he gives you great value for a $4,975.000 cap hit until 2029. He has plenty of room to grow and may reach another level with Matthews. Chabot is another great skating, offensive, puck-carrying defender that we need to help out Rielly and to balance out the team (I'd keep Edmonson, Boosh, and Benoit).

The cap hit is very similar going in and out. Ottawa takes less money in next year, but we benefit when Marner needs a raise the year after.

The Marners live in Markham. That's less than a 4 hour drive to Ottawa. Overbearing Paul gets to drive over to watch all of the games - enjoying many Timmys stops on the way.

Shak19

Oct 31, 2007
Toronto
My offseason:

1. Fire Keefe
2. Fire Shanahan
3. Hire new coach: Brind'Amour (still not signed to extension), Berube or Quennville
4. Go at it one more time with new coach
5. Let Tavares and Marner walk at end of season as UFA, use the cap savings to re-tool on the fly

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Marner for Jones, our first and 2nd (Chi or the one they acquired)

I wouldn't want Jones, but it feels like a Leafs move to acquire an overrated player about to turn 30 in a positional need.

Mitch gets to play with a phenom in Bedard in an original 6 market. Chicago has the draft capital to spare.

Reactions: aingefan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
My offseason:

1. Fire Keefe
2. Fire Shanahan
3. Hire new coach: Brind'Amour (still not signed to extension), Berube or Quennville
4. Go at it one more time with new coach
5. Let Tavares and Marner walk at end of season as UFA, use the cap savings to re-tool on the fly

Pretty much my 1 year plan right now as well. Berube is a good bet to replace Keefe, not so much Quenneville or Brind'Amour. If he was available last off-season, I think the Leafs make the change then. Another option might be Sullivan from the Penguins, but he hasn't been let go so it doesn't feel likely.

I don't even care about Shanahan staying/going. Might as well just let his deal expire instead of scrambling for a new President. That way you can take your time to find a good replacement and he'll be able to oversee a pretty interesting retool if the Leafs use their money wisely. Hell, I'd put Treliving as President and promote/hire someone else to GM like a Tulsky or someone with a great resume.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad