GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't run the team but I would probably demote Reaves next year, he's not enough of a deterrent as a fighter anymore and he's mediocre at hockey.

We need more speed and ideally PK utility from that roster spot.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Two players I would target this summer would be Cole Sillinger and Braden Schneider.

To Toronto: Braden Schneider
To Rangers: Timothy Liljegren + Pontus Holmberg

To Toronto: Cole Sillinger
To Columbus: Nick Robertson + TOR 1st Rounder

Not saying those would be the deals but more like the framework.

I would then go out and sign Matt Roy (5.5) Brandon Duhaime (1.35).

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Sillinger - Nylander
McMann - Tavares - Cowan
Dewar - Minten - Duhaime

Rielly - Schneider
McCabe - Roy
Benoit - ________

Woll - ________

Kampf moved for a draft pick. Jarnkrok moved for a third pairing dman. Not sure what to do with the goalie situation, maybe bring Sammy back?
I like Schneider’s future, but he’s had struggles with bottom pairing duties, so he certainly isn’t ready for top pairing.

Raycroft tied the Leafs win record in a season with a .894% save percentage at 37 wins with Belfour before Andersen beat them with 38.

Win percentage for a goaltender is meaningless because it's typically a team stat. It goes to show how good the Leafs were able to win despite terrible goaltending for a lot of the season.

If he has the best win percentage in the playoffs, I don’t care about the rest of the numbers.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
-Pesce, Tanev, Roy, Demelo, Montour, Carrier.
These should be the only RHD we should be pushing for this free agency.

Rielly Pesce
Edmundson Carrier
Benoit McCabe

Could be a realistic d group

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
-Pesce, Tanev, Roy, Demelo, Montour, Carrier.
These should be the only RHD we should be pushing for this free agency.

Rielly Pesce
Edmundson Carrier
Benoit McCabe

Could be a realistic d group

It's lacking A LOT of skill putting that much cap into Pesce, Carrier and Edmundson. There's also no way McCabe isn't a top 4 in this group over Carrier and Edmundson.

I know we're all about big defensive defenseman and whatever but you also need to move the puck and make plays with the puck to support the forwards. No one outside of Rielly in this group has much of that. One extreme to the other, although Pesce can pot some goals.

I'd much rather keep Liljegren and just not bother with Carrier. Montour would be a big help there as well.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Is Sillinger available? I figured Kent Johnson might have a chance because they've yo-yo'd him a bit.

Schneider is not someone I am sure is ready for top 4 minutes yet, at least not beside someone like Rielly.
No idea, figured anyone not named Jenner, Fantilli and possibly Werenski would be available considering Columbus is a tire fire.

Sillinger and Schneider are two young players underperforming but still have potential. It would be nice to find our own Devon Toews story instead of always seeing players excel elsewhere.

Reactions: aingefan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No idea, figured anyone not named Jenner, Fantilli and possibly Werenski would be available considering Columbus is a tire fire.

Sillinger and Schneider are two young players underperforming but still have potential. It would be nice to find our own Devon Toews story instead of always seeing players excel elsewhere.
Columbus main long-term need is Centers... they aren't moving the ones that they have.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Not if we can replace him internally with a younger player in the system.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not have both? 2 good contracts that has a player outplaying it's value in cap space is better than 1 and result in a better cap situation and a better team.

Seeing our PK (which isn't great to start with) without him and Marner has been a real issue.

Not sure where you can find a player that can play on the PK, the 2nd PP, can play on all 4 lines (including as a 3rd wheel 2-way capable top 6 role or defensive bottom 6 role), scores at a 15-20 goal pace and 40+ point pace all for just 2.1M. Not an easy player to find.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
and somehow moving a 20 year old C, on a team that needs C's accomplished that?
Depends on how they view Sillinger, do they view him as a top six center or more of a third line center? At the moment I don’t think the difference between Robertson and Sillinger is a 1st round pick but the 1st would allow them to still draft a center or use as a trade chip for someone they view stronger than Sillinger.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Depends on how they view Sillinger, do they view him as a top six center or more of a third line center? At the moment I don’t think the difference between Robertson and Sillinger is a 1st round pick but the 1st would allow them to still draft a center or use as a trade chip for someone they view stronger than Sillinger.
Nah.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

If they can get Domi extended on a deal that starts with a 3, they need to pull the trigger.

He's really come on as the season has progressed and is putting up points as a winger not just as a center

He's useful, I wonder if he'd be willing to give up some AAV for some stability and the chance to stay in Toronto

I'd offer him 3×3 with some limited trade protection (10 or 15 team NTC) and see if he bites

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Thanks John Davidson!

What would you prefer? I mean I don't even know how to take this seriously. A team desperately looking for C's, is going to abandon the development of a 20 year old C, who is far from a finished product, to trade for a Winger, and a mid 20's draft pick, who if they pick a C, might be at the same stage as Sillinger in 3-4 years. It's so detached from what they need, that it's just pure fantasy stuff.... No team gives up on a 20 year old player, on a tire fire of a team, who plays the position that team needs the most.

It's easy to have a discussion that maybe his development hasn't been handled correctly, but the idea that they are going to trade a 20 year old, highly drafted player, at their greatest position of need is proposterous.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's really come on as the season has progressed and is putting up points as a winger not just as a center

He's useful, I wonder if he'd be willing to give up some AAV for some stability and the chance to stay in Toronto

I'd offer him 3×3 with some limited trade protection (10 or 15 team NTC) and see if he bites

He just turned 29. Plenty of gas still in the tank. I think you can realistically give him 5 years at around what he's making now. That's a lot of security for someone that hasn't had much of it. He gets to build something here. I think he'd probably take that. If he doesn't then I'd be fine with letting go to free agency and play for Arizona or something. I'd be shocked if anyone gave him more money and term, but they could offer a lot on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Reactions: Kiwi and Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Domi is currently 49th in scoring for C's in the NHL. That's mid level 2nd line C stats. That's extremely good production for someone on a $3 million contract. If we can extend at that level, I do believe that we absolutely should as well. With term.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Walker too
Yeah watching him play against the Oilers he looked really good. I am a little surprised Tre wasn't more in on that given they were looking to improve the D all year but maybe that can be rectified next summer.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Easily could see Brad reworking the d-core in the summer by signing 2 free agents, Pesce / Zadorov, or something along those lines.

Who would you see leaving vs staying? What’s your 7 if that’s the moves he makes? Out of curiosity?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Domi is currently 49th in scoring for C's in the NHL. That's mid level 2nd line C stats. That's extremely good production for someone on a $3 million contract. If we can extend at that level, I do believe that we absolutely should as well. With term.

He's also someone that you can clearly see has strong chemistry with many players on the team and does show leadership qualities.

One of these players that when the playoffs start, I have no doubt he's going to play as hard as possible and sacrifice for the team.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Wouldn’t mind locking up Domi on a 3-5 year deal at the same cap hit. Works for the team but also gives him some stability finally instead of bouncing back and forth from city to city.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He's also someone that you can clearly see has strong chemistry with many players on the team and does show leadership qualities.

One of these players that when the playoffs start, I have no doubt he's going to play as hard as possible and sacrifice for the team.
He does have a habit of taking bad penalties and with the state of this teams PK lets hope he can keep that in check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad