GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hasn’t been mentioned here much, but I think we should try to lock up Knies to an 8-year deal this off-season.

Most “discount” contracts come when players sign before they break out.

8 years at what though? 4.5M per?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hasn’t been mentioned here much, but I think we should try to lock up Knies to an 8-year deal this off-season.

Most “discount” contracts come when players sign before they break out.
Can't see the player interested in that unless it's a bit of an overpay which can be pretty risky over 8 years.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I'd second the motion of giving Knies a long term deal. It'd be nice to not sign a contract at the height of their value.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Zadorov is going to ask for around $5 million, which is way too much for a third pairing D, who thinks he should play higher up in the lineup.

Yea, I would want Hakanpaa or just re-sign Boosh for that role. Zadarov for whatever reason, possibly because he was a 1st rounder 11 years ago, just seems to be overrated by the media and more likely to get overpaid.

A good offseason for the blueline IMO would be Hakanpaa + one of the legit top 4 UFAs like Pesce, Roy, DeMelo, Skjei, etc (assuming palatable contracts).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yea, I would want Hakanpaa or just re-sign Boosh for that role. Zadarov for whatever reason, possibly because he was a 1st rounder 11 years ago, just seems to be overrated by the media and more likely to get overpaid.

A good offseason for the blueline IMO would be Hakanpaa + one of the legit top 4 UFAs like Pesce, Roy, DeMelo, Skjei, etc (assuming palatable contracts).

Just looking at the guys we've run through the team this year, and what's worked well.... so far...

McCabe and Lilly have been very good together. 10GF 6GA, 54% SF, 52.7% CF.

Rielly and Boosh have been pretty good together as well. Now it's limited data of course, but the SF%, CF% have been good.... So let's watch this develop. If this continues to work very well for us, why go get a "premium" guy, instead of something that works.

Funny enough... when you look through Benoit's numbers... one of the best pairings for him has been Timmins. LIke 51 shots for, 32 against good. Not that I trust Timmins durability at all though.

To me, we wait on how Boosh continues to perform with Mo, and then make a decision on the best fit for Benoit.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Two players I would target this summer would be Cole Sillinger and Braden Schneider.

To Toronto: Braden Schneider
To Rangers: Timothy Liljegren + Pontus Holmberg

To Toronto: Cole Sillinger
To Columbus: Nick Robertson + TOR 1st Rounder

Not saying those would be the deals but more like the framework.

I would then go out and sign Matt Roy (5.5) Brandon Duhaime (1.35).

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Sillinger - Nylander
McMann - Tavares - Cowan
Dewar - Minten - Duhaime

Rielly - Schneider
McCabe - Roy
Benoit - ________

Woll - ________

Kampf moved for a draft pick. Jarnkrok moved for a third pairing dman. Not sure what to do with the goalie situation, maybe bring Sammy back?

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
How are we feeling on Sammy? He probably has the resume now to ask for a respectable contract. Find it likely we'll have some trouble keeping him. He'll likely want reasonably mid length term over 4M

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How are we feeling on Sammy? He probably has the resume now to ask for a respectable contract. Find it likely we'll have some trouble keeping him. He'll likely want reasonably mid length term over 4M

His numbers still aren't great, he may be forced into another 3M show me deal over a year or two

After this season he still has a ton of risk attached to him, his meltdown was pretty spectacular

Reactions: Menzinger

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
His numbers still aren't great, he may be forced into another 3M show me deal over a year or two

After this season he still has a ton of risk attached to him, his meltdown was pretty spectacular
Teams will have short memories if he has a great playoffs. I'd take him back for sure if it's another show me but I'd think someone will beat that offer no? He had a bad start yes but has certainly recovered with that hot streak

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Teams will have short memories if he has a great playoffs. I'd take him back for sure if it's another show me but I'd think someone will beat that offer no? He had a bad start yes but has certainly recovered with that hot streak

I would still think teams would have some hesitation giving him term, he honestly looked like his career could be over earlier on

I don't know about you but anything over two years frightens the hell out of me

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Two players I would target this summer would be Cole Sillinger and Braden Schneider.

To Toronto: Braden Schneider
To Rangers: Timothy Liljegren + Pontus Holmberg

To Toronto: Cole Sillinger
To Columbus: Nick Robertson + TOR 1st Rounder

Not saying those would be the deals but more like the framework.

I would then go out and sign Matt Roy (5.5) Brandon Duhaime (1.35).

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Sillinger - Nylander
McMann - Tavares - Cowan
Dewar - Minten - Duhaime

Rielly - Schneider
McCabe - Roy
Benoit - ________

Woll - ________

Kampf moved for a draft pick. Jarnkrok moved for a third pairing dman. Not sure what to do with the goalie situation, maybe bring Sammy back?

Is Sillinger available? I figured Kent Johnson might have a chance because they've yo-yo'd him a bit.

Schneider is not someone I am sure is ready for top 4 minutes yet, at least not beside someone like Rielly.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Is Sillinger available? I figured Kent Johnson might have a chance because they've yo-yo'd him a bit.

Schneider is not someone I am sure is ready for top 4 minutes yet, at least not beside someone like Rielly.
I like Kent Johnson but I think he is mainly winger despite some forays at c.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Just looking at the guys we've run through the team this year, and what's worked well.... so far...

Rielly and Boosh have been pretty good together as well. Now it's limited data of course, but the SF%, CF% have been good.... So let's watch this develop. If this continues to work very well for us, why go get a "premium" guy, instead of something that works.

Funny enough... when you look through Benoit's numbers... one of the best pairings for him has been Timmins. LIke 51 shots for, 32 against good. Not that I trust Timmins durability at all though.

To me, we wait on how Boosh continues to perform with Mo, and then make a decision on the best fit for Benoit.
I would reunite McCabe with Lilly. The pair has basically the best stats on the Leafs.

Benoit needs to play with someone who can move the puck. Pitty he is not a rhd otherwise I would be tempted playing him with Reilly. Benoit should also be compatible with Lilly.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

I love me some Hakanpaa.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Great post.

Every word of it, including your thoughts on Timmins.

I’m not a big stats guy but the eye test for me, admittedly limited, is that Benoit and Timmins complemented each other very well and could make a well balanced and sheltered 3rd pairing.

Both are still relatively untested but have untapped potential.

The only problem, beyond health, is I don’t feel Keefe is the coach to develop players. He needs finished products instead.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

His next contract (or lack there if) is going to be determined by how he plays in the playoffs. If he's hero he will stick around. If so so they'll find a cheaper vet to be Wolls 1B next year (maybe even Jones himself

Reactions: Kiwi

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

His first half of the season is enough to probably move on from him. I still think it would be a good move to try to get him on a 1 or 2 year deal around what he just made as a way to perhaps show he's better than the .897% save percentage, but maybe he'll want more and I don't think you can justify it. It'll depend how good he is down the stretch though.

The market isn't loaded with upgrades but you just need someone to compete with Woll because I expect him to take over the crease at that point.

We're looking at either Jones on another 1 or 2 year deal at most, or looking at other options like Talbot, Driedger, Kahkonen, DeSmith, Reimer, Nedjkovic, Stolarz, Brossoit, Raanta and Wedgewood. I don't think you're getting that big of a downgrade on Samsonov, especially at the cap hit they'll go for, but most of them are very much average/journeymen.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
For a team with no cap space, I'm not sure they'll be looking to move one of their only team friendly deals. We need more like Jarnkrok, not to get rid of him. To replace him will cost more on the cap than keeping him.
Not if we can replace him internally with a younger player in the system.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
His first half of the season is enough to probably move on from him. I still think it would be a good move to try to get him on a 1 or 2 year deal around what he just made as a way to perhaps show he's better than the .897% save percentage, but maybe he'll want more and I don't think you can justify it. It'll depend how good he is down the stretch though.

The market isn't loaded with upgrades but you just need someone to compete with Woll because I expect him to take over the crease at that point.

We're looking at either Jones on another 1 or 2 year deal at most, or looking at other options like Talbot, Driedger, Kahkonen, DeSmith, Reimer, Nedjkovic, Stolarz, Brossoit, Raanta and Wedgewood. I don't think you're getting that big of a downgrade on Samsonov, especially at the cap hit they'll go for, but most of them are very much average/journeymen.
If we move on from Samsonov. I’d look into Blackwood.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If we move on from Samsonov. I’d look into Blackwood.

He's struggled last few years. Even on a great NJD team last year he wasn't very good. I'd be fine with the gamble if they are giving him away and at 2.35M for a year it seems fine. Goaltenders are voodoo so who knows, but seems like you can find a cheaper and/or probably better alternative on the market.

Driedger to me is the target. Some great stats across the AHL into the NHL that seems fairly good in context. He was great in the WC's for Canada as well. I think he has a lot of potential to be an Adin Hill level addition.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Samsonov with the second best win percentage of goalies in the NHL this year.

Raycroft tied the Leafs win record in a season with a .894% save percentage at 37 wins with Belfour before Andersen beat them with 38.

Win percentage for a goaltender is meaningless because it's typically a team stat. It goes to show how good the Leafs were able to win despite terrible goaltending for a lot of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad