GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
In addition to the self inflicted wounds, there is the Rodion Amirov tragedy. He would likely have been coming into his own about now.

I hope his family is coping with their grief.

So I think we can have 2 seperate conversations about this.

1. It's a absolute tragedy and I feel horrible for he, his family and everyone involved. Cancer sucks.

2. It's absolutele BS the league hasn't given the leafs a supplemental draft pick and people are too afraid to talk about it in fear of being insensitive.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think the core has been coddled too much at this point. A new coach is needed, a new voice.

They’ve changed all the pieces, multiple times, around that core 4 and yet they still can’t put a legit run together.

Thankfully Tavares’ deal is up soon, so change will come soon if they don’t make a trade
1709909767926.jpeg

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Can’t see the Leafs making any moves today
I think they will add a forward. The whole world knew they needed a proper partner for Rielly, and while I don't think Boosh is it, they did, and they think that is "solved". Adding another 3rd pairing talent kind of gives a log jam on the D so I believe those moves are done. I am all for responsible use of assets but the idea of holding onto this 1st makes no sense to me. I heard a scout discussing the quality of the 24 draft on the radio the other day. He said a later 20s pick this season is equivalent to a pick in the 40s last year and I think we have been getting this from a number of different sources. We will know soon enough and then we can just get back to worrying about the goaltending.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
was listening to the game last night and someone was talking about how 5 years ago the leafs were up and coming and they'd surpass Boston and Tampa to be the top team in the Atlantic. Now its 5 years later and it the Panthers, they have the assets and depth to add guys like Tarasenko and Leafs already made their push the last couple of years. Sad but true and its going to be a while now until the next window having the core locked into NMC, no picks , few decent prospects.

Considering the above I still think they should have approached this deadline as sellers. Just like Caps flipped Edmonson because it didn't work. Flip Bert, Domi, restock some picks and retool for 25 / 26

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I’d like to find a Center somewhere. Really bummed that we traded what we did for Edmundson when acquiring Wennberg would have been only a little more expensive and would have filled a much bigger hole.

Any interest in Laughten for the 3C hole? Might be too expensive.

Due we sell of Jones and some depth for late picks or no point?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
was listening to the game last night and someone was talking about how 5 years ago the leafs were up and coming and they'd surpass Boston and Tampa to be the top team in the Atlantic. Now its 5 years later and it the Panthers, they have the assets and depth to add guys like Tarasenko and Leafs already made their push the last couple of years. Sad but true and its going to be a while now until the next window having the core locked into NMC, no picks , few decent prospects.

Considering the above I still think they should have approached this deadline as sellers. Just like Caps flipped Edmonson because it didn't work. Flip Bert, Domi, restock some picks and retool for 25 / 26

If, and big if, Joseph Woll, Cowan, Minten, Knies, Greb all are on the team and contributing in 2 years with JT off the books, then the team will be entering phase 2 of a winning cycle (phase 1 they didn’t win).

Similar to Tampa after bottoming out with Hedman and Stamkos but then winning when Point, Kucherov, Vasi came

Reactions: Forgotusername

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Why are they talking about women's hockey on NHL trade center? So cringe.
Trying to grow the game and let peiole know womens hockey has their own newish league

Not probably going to get much ppl tuning into womens hockey though this way.

Women's sports just dont have the demand/need to be consumed like mens sports yet. Will take a while and require genius marketing, + some generational women athletes to garner interest

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
If, and big if, Joseph Woll, Cowan, Minten, Knies, Greb all are on the team and contributing in 2 years with JT off the books, then the team will be entering phase 2 of a winning cycle (phase 1 they didn’t win).

Similar to Tampa after bottoming out with Hedman and Stamkos but then winning when Point, Kucherov, Vasi came
For me phase one was Matthews/Marner ELC, then bridge, now core,
they'd f***ed all three up imo

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Any positive addition will be good to see Reaves back in the pressbox.

That line is just putrid defensively. They are getting outchanced far too much. They went on a heater against bad teams but if Nylander can't make a play or skate it out, they are just not getting out of the zone.
Agreed. And they’ve made the D on the ice with them look way worse
I can’t see a quick solution either.
I’ve always thought Willy needs be with two good skaters who play both sides of the ice so he can do his thing, but I don’t see Tre moving off his two signings, or a way to jig the lines to make that all happen.
I thought maybe Granlund from the Sharks, maybe Wennberg before he was dealt.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
For me phase one was Matthews/Marner ELC, then bridge, now core,
they'd f***ed all three up imo

Phase 1 in a cap league is ELCs and first contracts.

Teams cap out, fall down the standings, retool and come back.

Happened to Tampa, happened to Pittsburgh, happened to Boston, looked like it was happening to LA earlier this season.

Leafs didn’t win in phase 1, neither did Tampa (albeit they made the cup final).

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Sheldon's an excellent coach. No need to change anything there.
Only issue I have with him, and I think it was driven by Dubas, was the coddling of the stars. That problem is not reversable imo... Even if Keefe goes, it is not enough to change the mantra of the team, since it is driven by the big 3.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
It's amazing to me that the media refuse to discuss if the Leaf's need a new coach. Almost all talking heads talk about the skill of the team and if they can figure out a way to get "over the hump". Not one of them would say that the Leafs have overachieved based on their roster.

So here sits a head coach that not a single talking head would say has gotten the most out of this roster, if you are a head coach and can't get the most out of your roster that means you have done a bad job and in most other walks of life.....there is a consequence to not performing your job at a high level.

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
Makes you wonder how the Leafs would fair in this years playoffs if John Tortorella was the coach instead of Keefe, given what he's done with the Flyers lineup this year.

At least that way you could make a definitive decision on whether the issue is truly the "Core 4" or coaching.

I hope we bolster the lineup today, but part of me kinda wishes we had a new coach this year. Either way still hoping Keefe and the boys figure it out and make a deep run.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's amazing to me that the media refuse to discuss if the Leaf's need a new coach. Almost all talking heads talk about the skill of the team and if they can figure out a way to get "over the hump". Not one of them would say that the Leafs have overachieved based on their roster.

So here sits a head coach that not a single talking head would say has gotten the most out of this roster, if you are a head coach and can't get the most out of your roster that means you have done a bad job and in most other walks of life.....there is a consequence to not performing your job at a high level.

There has been plenty of talk about him and there will be plenty of talks about it when they eventually flunk out in the first round.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'd take a swing at Kakko from the Rangers. Hes already a solid two way player and has loads of talent. He's just having a bit of a tough season. I'd give up our first for him easily.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
There has been plenty of talk about him and there will be plenty of talks about it when they eventually flunk out in the first round.
Any of the talk being critical? Last night on TSN there was discussion on if he deserved to be top 5 in the Jack Adams running. Seemed to settle him on being just outside of the top 5.

Why would this years playoff failures be any different than previous 5 years?

Reactions: BM14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad